HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my HK 91 for a few months and I love this rifle more than a human baby. I'm considering a conversion to a G3K with tax return $$. I don't look forward to the year long wait for the form 1 approval and as the rifle is now it is truly a remarkable shooter. For those of you that have done this conversion, was it worth it? Who performed your conversion and how long did it take. I'm a little reluctant to dramatically alter such a fine rifle, but I love the aesthetics of the G3K and I can't help but think the more compact set up would enhance the balance/handling etc. Talk me into/out of this process.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
I've had my HK 91 for a few months and I love this rifle more than a human baby. I'm considering a conversion to a G3K with tax return $$. I don't look forward to the year long wait for the form 1 approval and as the rifle is now it is truly a remarkable shooter. For those of you that have done this conversion, was it worth it? Who performed your conversion and how long did it take. I'm a little reluctant to dramatically alter such a fine rifle, but I love the aesthetics of the G3K and I can't help but think the more compact set up would enhance the balance/handling etc. Talk me into/out of this process.

It is one of my favorites. You are exactly correct, it just seems to handle so much better than a full size 91. I wouldn't think it would be that big a deal, but it just seems smoother and more comfortable. I had TSC do my conversion and I would have to believe the build would be finished well before you get your tax stamp. Take the plunge, you can always buy another 91.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
You could always buy a PTR K3P and go that route, for an economical approach, plus it's a pistol so you can shoot it while you wait for the stamp.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
You could always buy a PTR K3P and go that route, for an economical approach, plus it's a pistol so you can shoot it while you wait for the stamp.
IMHO this by far is the best of both worlds. You get to keep your 91 and get another rifle to keep it company. I would venture that the costs of parts and labor would make it a wash. Also you are not missing your rifle for X amount of months.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
IMHO this by far is the best of both worlds. You get to keep your 91 and get another rifle to keep it company. I would venture that the costs of parts and labor would make it a wash. Also your not missing your rifle for X amount of months.
I think they make a good alternative. I understand sometimes the heart wants what it wants, but for the cost of TSC's labor alone- I have this:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ghillie built mine. It is awesome. I would keep the factory HK91 as is and find a beater PTR - clone and have that cut and built up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Years ago, I had RDTS do a G3K conversion to a registered receiver HK91 MG, to make it easier to sell and get a better price. I never shot the finished gun, but Ralph did a beautiful job.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I agree, keep the 91 in it's natural state and get a K3P.

·
Registered
182 Posts
TSC did my G3K conversion. It is by far my favorite firearm. The quality and precision of HK engineering and manufacturing justifies (as much as anything can) what we spend on their products. If you're wanting to have a G3K of the same quality as your 91, I would recommend having TSC do the work. I'm sure others are great as well, but my experience and recommendation is with TSC.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
A 7.62 / 308 barrel less than 16" is inefficient at best. A pricey way to get terrible ballistics and blinding fireball. Hk417 and LMT 13.5" are not generally useful formats.

I had a Springfield SAR-8 modified, now uses a 93 handguard and barrel chopped to 16.1". Weight bias further back, so handier for sure. This is as short as I would go.
Don't listen to Captain Buzz Kill, do it build the HK G3K. I wish I could find a good factory HK G3k barrel and I would build one.

·
Registered
754 Posts
No issues here with the shorter 308's. I liked my 12.5 G3K so much I built a 14" AR10 w/a pinned qd flash hider. I put together a baseline chart for it and have no problem getting hits to 600 yds even here at approx 1000ft elev. with 168's. The British DMR with the PSG3K type set up used one operationally. External and terminal ballistics will suffer a little but not a deal killer depending on how and what its deployed for.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Data taken from a different forum which was also taken from somewhere else
150 gr HPBT Win 748 loaded to a chamber pressure of 56.4K PSI WARM load 45 gr NOT a starting load. I chose 748 as the powder as it is most like NATO powder.

26" = 2918 FPS MP= 6.6K PSI ——99.6 % powder burnt -2836 ft/lbs
24" = 2873 FPS MP= 7.4K PSI ————————————————————————————2750 ft/lbs
22" = 2823 FPS MP= 8.2K PSI ————————————————————————————2655 ft/lbs
20" = 2766 FPS MP= 9.2K PSI ——98.7 % powder burnt -2548 ft/lbs
18" = 2700 FPS MP= 10.5K PSI ————————————————————————————2428 ft/lbs
16" = 2623 FPS MP= 12.0K PSI -97% powder burnt ————2291 ft/lbs
14" = 2531 FPS MP= 14.0K PSI ——————————————————————————2133 ft/lbs
12" = 2417 FPS MP= 16.7K PSI -94% powder burnt ——1946 ft/lbs
10" = 2273 FPS MP= 20.5K PSI ——————————————————————————1721 ft/lbs
8.0"= 2080 FPS MP= 26.0K PSI -87% powder burnt. -1441 ft/lbs
6.0"= 1800 FPS MP= 34.1K PSI -79.4% powder burnt -1080 ft lbs
Another link provides this:
The 13.5-inch length could propel a 168 grain Hornady TAP round at an average velocity of 2390 fps, which is hardly slow. That is only a decrease of around 315 fps from the 26 inch length (25.2 fps/in), and vindicates many researchers who pioneered velocity discussions. There was no noticeable critical difference in accuracy at any range. There is a downside to longer ranges and reduced velocities, that being increased susceptibility to wind as range increases. Increased drift is not the end of the world, though, and if measured properly, can be overcome with ease.

·
Registered
653 Posts
And if you expect a blinding fireball from a 12.5" barrel, you'll likely be sorely disappointed, I was pleasantly surprised at how little flash there was shooting at dusk.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You could put a stock on and run 3.3" prong flash suppressor instead. Til you get your form 1 in. HK parts has RCM G3K 12.7" barrels for sale.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You could put a stock on and run 3.3" prong flash suppressor instead. Til you get your form 1 in. HK parts has RCM G3K 12.7" barrels for sale.
You'll need a flash hider that adds at least 3.3" and it will have to be permanently attached. HK Parts has an extended 4 prong flash hider that should do the trick. I bought one from MFI for my K3P but it rings like a tuning fork so I never bothered to permanently install it. I'll just wait for my stamp before I get a stock.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts