HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got G3K clone. I started collecting the parts, about 8 or 9 years ago. Got myself an old FMP G3 parts kit and didn't make any headway on the project for a couple of years. Got some more parts about 6 years ago: a 16" barrel (PTR.. well back when they were called JLD Enterprises), G3K cocking tube, US made hammer and sear, US made plastic lower, US made receiver, and one of the old "concave" collapsible stocks.

Found a gunsmithing company and sent the parts out to them for assembly and waited.... and waited.... and waited.... contacted them several times and was given all manner of excuses. Finally, after about 2 years, found out that one of their employees was supposed to be doing the H&K builds in his own shop at home or something. Except this guy wasn't actually doing the builds he said he was doing. The company got my parts back and completed the build and shipped it back to me finally.

Anyway, I wound up with a nice G3K style rifle that runs reliably with everything I've fed it except for South African surplus. It's also very mild to shoot with that stock on it.

Fast forward to 2012.... I've decided I want to SBR this rifle. Instead of just cutting down the 16" barrel, I'd like to have the barrel swapped out for a 12.69" G3K barrel I bought from HKParts. Reason being that the JLD barrel is heavy, thick and has almost no contouring to it.

Problem is my gun's receiver... When I started collecting parts and shipped them off for the build, the only game in town for G3 receivers was Special Weapons. So, that's what I've got for a receiver, and from what I've seen, a lot of smiths won't work on them. On the upside, the builders did a lot of work to get the SW receiver as "in-spec" as possible during the build.

As of now, I've got the barreled receiver off for engraving and will file SBR paperwork once it's back in my hands. Is there anyone that can eventually do a rebarrel for me and would be willing to work on a gun built on a Special Weapons receiver?

·
Registered
872 Posts
IGF / Jayson Cotter - Gilliebear / Jeff Walters - HK21 / Gerad - Mike Turner / Turner Fabrications Inc - Dakota Arms - Take your pick most if not all well work on it just make a call and/or send them a RFQ.

Good luck and hey it's not a Hesse so don't worry.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I dropped a message to Ghilliebear to ask about it. I'm new on here, but have seen his name quite a bit and know he has an excellent reputation. Asked if it was recommended to swap receivers too. As I mentioned, the current one seems to work fine. The issues with the SA ammo are from the fluting and the sealant used in that ammo as I understand it.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I dropped a message to Ghilliebear to ask about it. I'm new on here, but have seen his name quite a bit and know he has an excellent reputation. Asked if it was recommended to swap receivers too. As I mentioned, the current one seems to work fine. The issues with the SA ammo are from the fluting and the sealant used in that ammo as I understand it.
My thoughts were that if you were ever going to swap receivers, just before paying for the stamp is the time to do it. While talking, wonder how much to build another rifle with your existing barrel and the second receiver, then you would have two (maybe selling number one in the long run).

·
Registered
207 Posts
My thoughts were that if you were ever going to swap receivers, just before paying for the stamp is the time to do it. While talking, wonder how much to build another rifle with your existing barrel and the second receiver, then you would have two (maybe selling number one in the long run).
That's what I'd do and skip doors #2 & #3. Don't forget, pics pics and some more pics. And if you'll do before and after pics I'm sure that you'll get huge "attaboy's" from everyone.
Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spoke with Ghilliebear on the phone earlier. Normally, I hate dealing with people on the phone. But, I'd say that Jeff is the best person in the firearms industry that I've ever dealt with via phone. He was very easy to talk to, took the time to listen to my questions and the backstory of this rifle, and made some suggestions as to how I might want to proceed.

I''ve decided that I'll get a new PTR receiver and have Jeff build up a G3K pistol on that receiver using the 12.5" barrel and as many parts as possible from the existing rifle (sights, lower, handguard, etc). Once the tax stamp gets approved, I can then add the stock onto it. That will leave me with the barreled SW receiver which I could then build onto at my leisure by picking up parts here and there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my PTR-91 receiver yesterday. Just need to get it engraved with my trust name now. Not sure where to have it engraved... usually I use Orion and they did the SW receiver for me but that was easy as they were able to engrave one side of the magwell. The PTR-91 receiver has engraving on both sides of the magwell already. Doesn't look like they can engrave in the usual place either due to the receiver having a "bump" where a claw mount would attach. Anyone recommend another location on the PTR-91 where I could have that info negraved?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Got my PTR-91 receiver yesterday. Just need to get it engraved with my trust name now. Not sure where to have it engraved... usually I use Orion and they did the SW receiver for me but that was easy as they were able to engrave one side of the magwell. The PTR-91 receiver has engraving on both sides of the magwell already. Doesn't look like they can engrave in the usual place either due to the receiver having a "bump" where a claw mount would attach. Anyone recommend another location on the PTR-91 where I could have that info negraved?
Bottom of the rail.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
There's a trangular flange at the bottom of the receiver in the back where the trigger group is pinned into place. That's where mine are engraved. I think Orion may be one of the companies that only does it on the sides of the receiver, so I'd never use them. It has to be on the barrel, frame, or receiver, and so long as it can be seen without the use of tools, you're good to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I traded a few e-mails with Orion Arms and they said to send it in and they should be able to work something out. I'm not too picky. Just as long as the info is on there so I'm in compliance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts