HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think that I am one of the few people outside of this forum that actually likes the USC the way it is. It's a fun little carbine that is amazingly accurate and has the added benefit of shooting the same ammo as the sidearm I usually have. That said...

The thing looks like a mosquito! It's the same problem that HK or any other company has had with little carbines in that the 16" barrel just looks a little weird. Now one could easily pay the $200 and just SBR the thing. Or...

One could do what I am playing with currently. Drill the barrel with a series of well placed ports, add some baffles and an outer sleeve and make sure that sleeve mates nicely with the plastic receiver for a sleek, integrally suppressed weapon. Yes, you would still need to go through the $200 NFA process and doing the integral suppressor conversion is a bit more pricey than just chopping a barrel, but... It's turning out very cool. I kinda think that if a market does exist for such a thing, HKPRO.com would be a good indicator. So, would folks be interested? More importantly, what would it be worth to you?

·
Registered
106 Posts
You want to build a MP5SD USC... I don't think you will find many takers. It is much easier to just get a shorter barrel and use one of the many factory suppressors that you could use on different firearms. But I love your vision and it sure sounds like a fun project.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
if i had a usc and wasnt going to do the full sbr ump conversion then i would definately be interested in it, and for all those who arent allowed sbr's but are allowed suppressors this is definately an interesting option. The only problem I can see is a very small client base; how many states are there that dont allow sbr's but do allow suppressors?

ps. Straightgrain I miss your Angie avatar.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
if i had a usc and wasnt going to do the full sbr ump conversion then i would definately be interested in it, and for all those who arent allowed sbr's but are allowed suppressors this is definately an interesting option. The only problem I can see is a very small client base; how many states are there that dont allow sbr's but do allow suppressors?

ps. Straightgrain I miss your Angie avatar.
Yeah, but he's the self-styled Merchant of Death, so this new avy actually fits pretty damn well. ;)

Oh, and regarding the concept--I don't own any integrally-suppressed weapons; however, the thought of one in .45 sounds pretty damn cool.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think it sounds pretty cool. Have you tried it with yours?

·
Registered
329 Posts
If I had the cash laying around i'd be say sign me up for one, I'd love to see how this turns out, maybe I can return some christmas presents this year.

·
11,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will certainly finish this one off! We put regular pistol cans on USC's all the time, but they just look strange. Given that the performance of an integrally suppressed model is superior to that of a screw on or QD in the same caliber, and that the "lines" would just look better on the USC, I thought I would give it a try. It may or may not be worth the effort, we shall see!

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that it's going to be at least 20% quieter than a regular can set up. The work above and beyond the cost of the can is not that much, but has to be done right.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would be very curious to see chronograph readings pre and post drill mods. Specifically, how much velocity will the drilled barrel lose?

Cool idea though. Tag for pics. :D

·
11,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do. I have several USC's and several additional barrels. Will be able to do some extensive testing, but it will be mostly to satisfy my own curiosity. Like some of have said, the market might not be too big for this. That said, we did sell the crud out of integrally suppressed Marlin Camp's in .45, so who really knows, eh?

I was never supposed to become involved in the machining part of this endeavor, but it has attracted me like a moth to the flame. I'm glad I got dem experts guiding me. I feel fairly certain that without them, I would have lost a few fingers, an eye and quite possibly an arm by now... Not to mention ruining a bunch of really good parts!

·
Registered
6 Posts
How do they suppress in the first place being blow back? I have never heard one so i just wondered. I know the mp5sd works because of the delayed blowback. Im curious to see this.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Now that I have a usc/ump deal in the works I am very interested as well. I was thinking of doing the sbr, and puting in a ump barrell, but would also be interested in sending you my usc barrell to turn into the integrally supressed barrell, then I would have two options...or is this a stupid idea???

·
11,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a stupid idea. It may be a bit cumbersome to do regular swaps, but it is a fun idea.

We're still working on this configuration. It's what gets played with when there is not "real" work to be done!

·
11,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We got a little snowed under with orders for "real" product instead of my "projects". The first "evolution" kinda sucked. Good thing I have a few more extra barrels to play with. As soon as we have something that works perfectly, I'll spread the word. Probably just after SHOT...

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I bought a USC not too long after they came out, with the sole idea that some smith would come along and offer an "SD" mod for the gun. The gun still sits in my safe unfired waiting for that smith.

·
11,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your smith will arrive. He may be riding a dead horse, though <ggg>!

Seriously, the first approach just did not function reliably. It would have been a slam dunk to make, but fast is always the enemy of good in manufacturing... There are a few more designs that will get played with. I will keep all in the loop.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Your smith will arrive. He may be riding a dead horse, though <ggg>!
It's probably cause of that damn scythe you lug around :D . On another note though, I can't wait to see the end product. Depending on cost, I may be in one as well.

·
11,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, that scythe... And the dang robes always getting caught in the milling machine and lathe...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts