HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy - what are your thoughts on the below handguards for a 10.4” build? This is my first 416 clone-ish build, and I’m tossing around the idea of any one of these.

I know the HK will of course fit with my MR556 barrel nut, but what about the rest? Any of these need proprietary nuts, in case I end up buying used so I know? Looking for details on this specifically and otherwise general feedback. Would run with Waffen Burk SBR adj gas block as info

Thanks in advance

- Geissele MK15, DDC
- Geissele Super Modular Rail, DDC (availability?)
- RAHG, tan
- HK 9” handguard with integrated flip up sight, RAL8000

·
Registered
54 Posts
The RAHG will fit the MR556, but some people (me included) notice some vertical play with it. The vertical play is eliminated if you have an optic base (like an EoTech) that straddles the seam. The RAHG also requires a spare handguard retaining screw from the original rail (or a spare from HK Parts) in order to be useable.

The Geissele SMR (at least the one with the proprietary rail panels) will also fit the MR556.

Both are mostly discontinued and will be harder to find than HK handguards.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The RAHG will fit the MR556, but some people (me included) notice some vertical play with it. The vertical play is eliminated if you have an optic base (like an EoTech) that straddles the seam. The RAHG also requires a spare handguard retaining screw from the original rail (or a spare from HK Parts) in order to be useable.

The Geissele SMR (at least the one with the proprietary rail panels) will also fit the MR556.

Both are mostly discontinued and will be harder to find than HK handguards.
Thank you for the details - didn’t know that about the play, but would be prepared for the fix. Also didn’t know about the screw, that is excellent to know. Appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
They come with 3 proprietary rail sections if I recall correctly.

Not a huge deal that they don't come with the retaining bolt. The Geissele bolt is junk and should be swapped for the factory anyways...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also, both aftermarket rails won't fit if your gas block has sling rings. AFAIK the MR556 doesn't have those rings, but you should take a second to check.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They come with 3 proprietary rail sections if I recall correctly.

Not a huge deal that they don't come with the retaining bolt. The Geissele bolt is junk and should be swapped for the factory anyways...
Thank you - yes I see they are cheap on HKParts as well. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, both aftermarket rails won't fit if your gas block has sling rings. AFAIK the MR556 doesn't have those rings, but you should take a second to check.
Thank you - I am going to run a Waffen Burk 5 pos adj block so I believe I should be in good shape

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
I’ve not used the RHAG, but between the OEM and the Geissele, I much prefer the Geissele. That said, I’ve not messed around with the new version Geissele recently released.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve not used the RHAG, but between the OEM and the Geissele, I much prefer the Geissele. That said, I’ve not messed around with the new version Geissele recently released.
Thanks for your input. I have an OEM and now also a RAHG in hand, and am waiting for a Geissele (older version SMR ideally) to pop up somewhere.

I run Geissele handguards on all my other non-HK rifles besides my MK18 and love them. Hoping to acquire one and keep the Geissele vibes goin (their triggers are in all my guns too [disclaimer: not a Geissele employee])

Thanks,
BD

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
I’m looking for 2 more Geissele MR556/416 triggers, they seem to be like hens teeth anymore

Good luck with your search for an SMR.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m looking for 2 more Geissele MR556/416 triggers, they seem to be like hens teeth anymore

Good luck with your search for an SMR.
I nabbed a 416 trigger on ARFCOM a few weeks ago...they seem to pop up once in a while but go super quickly

Thanks, good luck to you too

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have one of the Geissele SMR rails in DDC, super hard to find, and I definitely paid top dollar for it. If you can find one, I highly recommend it. I also had the quad rail and loved that too, although I am a sucker for quad rails and have three other rifles with them.

The RAHG is pretty sweet and the price on them right now is well worth an investment as I believe they have been discontinued.

The Geissele MK15 looks kinda of goofy with that picatinney section at the end. But, it is a Geissele.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have one of the Geissele SMR rails in DDC, super hard to find, and I definitely paid top dollar for it. If you can find one, I highly recommend it. I also had the quad rail and loved that too, although I am a sucker for quad rails and have three other rifles with them.

The RAHG is pretty sweet and the price on them right now is well worth an investment as I believe they have been discontinued.

The Geissele MK15 looks kinda of goofy with that picatinney section at the end. But, it is a Geissele.
Thanks for the feedback - yea I feel that with the goofy look on the MK15. The original SMR would be sweet - just need that one and I’ll have all three to test out and choose my favorite.

I too am a sucker for quad rails - my MK18 will never lose its DD rail. Love that thing

I also think the RAHGs will increase in demand over time due to limited supply as you stated - not the same dollar level as the SMRs perhaps, but the same kind of supply/demand scenario in general

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a guy selling black Geissele MK15 rails on another buy/sell/trade site for under $400. He bought in bulk and is hooking people up. That price might just make the MK15 worth checking out.

With those pic sections on the end, you probably don't have to chop of the sling loops on the gas block either. Can't confirm that so maybe somebody else can.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw that...if he had DDC's I think I would honestly. I'm pretty set on that color.

I'm going to run a Waffen Burk 5 pos adjustable gas block so I think I will be good with clearance which is nice

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the original Geissele hand guard on my 416 and the original in it's box.

I much prefer the Geissele. And I think I have an extra Geissele 416 trigger laying around. I bought an extra.

JR

·
Registered
11 Posts
been looking to get the geissele rail for my 417. I have not felt one before but have had alot of geissele products and none of them have been less than exceptional. Do any of you have experience with the geissele 417 trigger. Are they the only ones making after market triggers?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have run the hell out of the geissele trigger in my 416 and it only seems to get better.

I remember buying an extra trigger and gas block and havent needed the parts.

JR

1 - 20 of 35 Posts