HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well , here it is, The gen 3 conversion. I gave up on the 1.5, after I figured out that I could legally move the serial # on my SL8 . I skipped ahead to the third and final installment. This is a block molded from a G36 rear section made of aluminium and carbon fiber reinforced palstic ,that I engineered to fit on an SL8 .It attatches with grade 5 allen heads into a laser cut stainless steel plate that I had made up that inserts into the inside of the upper rear section of the SL8 and new rear section. It allows you to use a G36 lower and stock and back plate with buffer assembly. The bottom section attaches with allen screws as well and Devcons Plastic weld 2 product .I am incuding a back plate that is very close to the H&K one with the kit ,it is matal reinforced much like the real one is, it will also still accept the H&K one though.This conversion requires quite a bit of modifying to the rear section of the SL8 , its not a straight cut like the Gen 2, however the end result is a true semi auto G36.The first question I am sure is how can you move the serial #? I started thinking about my form 1, I have to mark my name and city and state as the maker, well if I am the maker, I want to move my serial #, I spoke with the ATF and expained just that and the answer was as long as the reciever was remarked before the old one was removed its not a problem. So here it is . I molded the reciever and the new piece together using the epoxie and did some final sanding and sprayed it with textured plastic paint and it came out great.The cut on the reciever requires you to leave the inner rear section of the SL8 keeping an F/A bolt carrier from fitting in it and giving a strong lower mounting point. I will be taking orders , I do have most of the parts in stock already, however, I am going out of town for the next 2 weeks so I will not be able to ship until I get back. Please feel free to ask questions.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i woud do it in a heart beat but i need to sbr one first. how cool woud it be with gen 3 and a g36c barrel and frount end

·
Registered
216 Posts
tbostic- If we awarded Oscars for cool ****...the winner would be you

Tom,
I am so happy with both the service and product you provided on my 2.0 stock block. It is nice to see that you are not resting on your success, and still being innovative. I wish HK would only take a page out of your customer service / civilian satisfaction manual.

You rock, keep up the AWESOME work, my G36K is so cool.

On a similar note: Any chance you could make me a new style G36/ SL8 top rail (with factory sites)?

M

·
0 Posts
So where did the serial number plate go?

And also, how much more (or less) cutting of the receiver does this require than the 2.0 block?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the serial # laser marked further forward with my Name, city and state on the same side, it looks like the same type of engraving that H&K uses. I plan on remarking it to G36 K and putting all of the rest of the markings on it to match from a G 36 as well. I have only had a chance to put 60 rounds through it, I just got it together and shot it yesterday, I am leaving for La this morning, so I wont be able to do any more testing until I get back, It's really solid and I have no signs of any issues so far and I do not for see any. You do have to mill off alot compared to the Gen 2 kit. if you have mill or a good band saw, a drill press with a milling vise its not terrible, but its a little beyond a dremil.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nice work Tom. Because of your diligence and attention to detail...you are going to cost me ALOT of money! :)

HKCAPTN

·
Registered
229 Posts
Nice work Tom. Because of your diligence and attention to detail...you are going to cost me ALOT of money! :)

HKCAPTN
well when you get all your stuff tougher. i can help you out i am just down the street from you and i ve allready done gen 1, gen 2.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bout time

Its about time someone had the balls to do this. Lord knows my woman has mine lol. Great job Tom, and can you do mine for me?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Semi-off topic, but here's a question: How much of an investment are we talking to get it from stock SL-8 to G36? I'll be able to pick one up this weekend, and I'm toying with the idea. Thanks!

Edit: One more thing: How does this compare to the cost of a USC to UMP job?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Tom,
You Sir are the Sl8 to G36 GOD !!! :350:

I'm working on my Form 1 right now...

Sharky

1 - 20 of 70 Posts