HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have the opportunity to purchase a NIB HK MR556 right now. $2600 out plus $35 for shipping and a $25 FFL transfer fee. I can buy this gun and have it in my hands next week. I can afford this gun and pay for it right now no questions asked.

OR.......

I can wait four to six weeks and get my hands on a NIB HK MR762. It will be the same situation ( I can pay for it in full and walk out the door so to say).

What the hell should I do?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :2300000::100000:

I feel like a crack fiend that is getting the shakes waiting for his next fix!!!!!!

Help me.........

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,536 Posts
You need to buy the MR556 right now and then start selling your significant other's jewelry to afford the MR762 in a few weeks... That's no dilemma.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
If you're getting the MR762 for that same price, then the answer is simple, wait. If not then there are a couple of questions you need to ask yourself:

Do you want a 5.56 rifle or a 7.62 rifle?

Do you want a rifle that comes with iron sights or not?

Do you want a rifle that comes with a 30 rd mag and you have many choices for mags, some as low as $10-15? Or do you want a gun that comes with a 10 round mag and only takes propriarity mags that cost $75-100+ each?

Finally, why do you want either as opposed to something else in the same calibers?

It's your money and desires. I don't think any of us can tell you what you should do.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to buy the MR556 right now and then start selling your significant other's jewelry to afford the MR762 in a few weeks... That's no dilemma.
If I had a significant other not only would I be selling off her jewelry, but I'd probably be selling her off too!! :wink:

If you're getting the MR762 for that same price, then the answer is simple, wait. If not then there are a couple of questions you need to ask yourself:

Do you want a 5.56 rifle or a 7.62 rifle?

Do you want a rifle that comes with iron sights or not?

Do you want a rifle that comes with a 30 rd mag and you have many choices for mags, some as low as $10-15? Or do you want a gun that comes with a 10 round mag and only takes propriarity mags that cost $75-100+ each?

Finally, why do you want either as opposed to something else in the same calibers?

It's your money and desires. I don't think any of us can tell you what you should do.
I'm glad I posted my question and someone like you answered. You brought up some valid points.

The 762 is definitely more expensive than the 556. NOT the same price.

I have shot an AR-15 before and loved it. No, it wasn't an HK but I do want the HK version.

I have not shot an AR-10 and have never fired a 7.62 before. I am currently calling around to my LGS and ranges to see if there is one for me to test drive so to say.

I did not know about the 762 not coming with iron sights or anything more than one 10 round magazine. I'll have to look into that further.

I was also just thinking about accesories for the 762 as opposed to the 556. Are there as many out there or can the 556 accessories be used on the 762 like say buttstocks and tripods and such.

Is the 762 as customizable as the 556?

This is why I posted this, so I can get some opinions from people who know a little more about these weapons than I do.

Thanks for the opinions and keep them coming. I think I'm going to hold off on both for at least a week and get some more answers from you folks here.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Agree with dwillHK completely.

If you want to end up with a set of good optics, good BUIS (or the HK BUIS that come with the MR556) and a bunch of magazines, the MR762 will require much more money to get you to the same end point compared to the MR556.

As dwillHK mentioned, the MR762 does NOT come with any BUIS. Plus the MR762 proprietary HK mags are way more expensive at close to $100 (compared to HK mags for the MR556 that is ~$40). My understanding is that there isn't a non-HK mag that will fit on the MR762. On a related note, the HK mags for the MR762 only come in 20-round versions. Hence, you can't buy a 30-round mag even if you are willing to spend.... $200 or whatever ridiculous amount.

Everything else (i.e., sling mounts, slings, foregrip , bipod, etc.) will cost the same for both. Hence, not really a difference whether you get the MR556 or the MR762. It does make a difference is you have a limited pool of funds and want to get the multiple magazines, the bipod, etc.

Lastly, I am not sure if you already have a similar AR-15 type weapon chambered in 5.56. If you already a ton of e-mags, maybe the MR556 would make more sense?

Good problem to have! Best of luck deciding what to get.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,536 Posts
try the veal...

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
This whole thread is making me happier than a hungry baby at a titty bar...

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So I hemmed and hawed it over and came up with a list of reasons, pro's and con's and wrote them down on a piece of paper for each system and promptly crumpled it up and ordered the MR556.:810:

By the time everything is said and done, it will have cost a little over $2500.00 for the rifle. I know it's not the greatest price, but I also know that it's not the worst either so I am pretty happy. It should be here sometime next week. The FFL was trying to get it shipped out yesterday so that I might have it on Tuesday so I can properly celebrate the 4th of July..........with guns and explosives!! :79::100000::44:

On a side note(and totally unrelated to anything HK) that I almost forgot about...........when I was at my LGS getting the FFL transfer arranged I noticed he had one of these in his showcase:

That is a Smith and Wesson .460 with a 14" barrel. The pistol costs about $110 per inch of barrel. That is a huge gun in person and I for one was mighty impressed with its size!!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What no alcohol!!!???
Eh, I had to quit drinking when I was quitting smoking. If I tried drinking a beer the urge to smoke was just too great. That was in '06. For some reason or other I just haven't had any alcohol since. No rhyme no reason. I know, no fun guy here!!

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
For that kind of money I would buy an original HK 93

I drink but do not smoke.. drinking gives you fun advantages, smoking is just nasty and deadly

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
So I hemmed and hawed it over and came up with a list of reasons, pro's and con's and wrote them down on a piece of paper for each system and promptly crumpled it up and ordered the MR556.:810:

By the time everything is said and done, it will have cost a little over $2500.00 for the rifle. I know it's not the greatest price, but I also know that it's not the worst either so I am pretty happy. It should be here sometime next week. The FFL was trying to get it shipped out yesterday so that I might have it on Tuesday so I can properly celebrate the 4th of July..........with guns and explosives!! :79::100000::44:

On a side note(and totally unrelated to anything HK) that I almost forgot about...........when I was at my LGS getting the FFL transfer arranged I noticed he had one of these in his showcase:

That is a Smith and Wesson .460 with a 14" barrel. The pistol costs about $110 per inch of barrel. That is a huge gun in person and I for one was mighty impressed with its size!!
I love this model in 460 and plan on one for a hunting and Alaskan backup weapon with a reflex holo. I don't think I'll add a bipod tho

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reloading is more than likely going to be my next investment. Damn .45 is friggin' expensive for anything decent. I've been looking at the Lee Anniversary Press but some of the reviews I have read say the scale sucks. They say the rest is great, just a bad scale so I'm sort of in limbo on it right now. Well, that, and money!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got the email from the FFL that shipped my MR556 and it looks like it will be here Friday which means that the rest of this week is going to pass by at the incredible speed of frozen molasses. Ugh. This wait is going to kill me!!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts