HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone show me via pictures how to spot a real HK bipod vs all the other variations? Are there any manufacturing clues that are a giveaway as to the origin of the various bipods out there.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Gunplumber has a comparison between the HK and POF at the bottom of the page.

Arizona Response Systems, LLC. Notes. HK. Pakistan Ordnance Factory vs HK

I bought several of the original HK's back when they were less than $100, but now at $75, the POF bipod seems to be the best buy if you can find one. Mine have the phosphate finish similar to that of the factory HK rear sight. There are also some from HK that had plastic feet, but I have not seen them for sale for a long time

Promag is the only other manufacturer that I have heard of, but I've read bad reviews on theirs pertaining to their lack of ability to remain up in the locked position. There are several bad reviews right here on this site, so I would stay away from the Promag version. Sorry no pics.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-clone-talk/78808-promag-bipod-review-hk91-93-a.html

Best,

TC

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Found a pic for you. The 91 on top has a HK bipod. You can see that the phosphate finish matches the flash hider, bolt, and take-down pins. Maybe a tad lighter than the rear sight.

Best,

TC

·
Registered
539 Posts
i have a real HK bipod it is great and im looking for another i bought a contract one and its junk it was to wide to fit into the handguard where it slides in and one of the lock buttons fell out of it the contract one is black and the real one is a grey color the contract bipod i have only had it about a week and i wish i would of never wasted my money on it i have not had the chance to get my hands on a clone one yet to see how good they are made

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just picked up a promag bipod last week for my new (to me) V93. I got a chance to bring it out over the weekend and I had no problems at all. It too has the phosphate finish which looks pretty darn close to the finish on the rear sight/flash hider. I haven't noticed any trouble with the legs not locking either. I just spent the last five minutes pushing down on them while they were locked down and pushing forward on the rifle when I was laying prone and it seemed nice and strong. They stay put pretty well when folded up too. Hard to beat for $60

It would probably be a different story if I had a true HK91/93 but thats a different story.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just picked up a promag bipod last week for my new (to me) V93. I got a chance to bring it out over the weekend and I had no problems at all. It too has the phosphate finish which looks pretty darn close to the finish on the rear sight/flash hider. I haven't noticed any trouble with the legs not locking either. I just spent the last five minutes pushing down on them while they were locked down and pushing forward on the rifle when I was laying prone and it seemed nice and strong. They stay put pretty well when folded up too. Hard to beat for $60

It would probably be a different story if I had a true HK91/93 but thats a different story.
Ringer- Any chance of you posting up detailed pics of your promag?

Thanks

·
Registered
481 Posts
The ProMag bipod is just like the real HK. I had a chance to compare them both. There really isn't any way to tell them apart.

I have the real HK bipod and my buddy has the ProMag. They function exactly the same. BUT!! The only difference is that his ProMag bipod is thicker and fits tightly into the GERMAN wide fore grip.

That was the only difference I could find. It seems that the ProMag bipod is made to fit the wide POF fore grip. As a unit the POF wide fore grip and the ProMag bipod function like a German Wide fore grip and a German HK bipod.

The real HK bipod in a POF fore grip is way too loose!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Here's a set of pictures I took. The fluorescent light really makes the finish look awful on camera, but it really doesn't look all that bad. The park isn't the prettiest, but I fully expect to scratch the **** out of it anyways. This is going to be my new tromp-around-through-the-brush gun so take it for what it's worth. I also have not seen a factory HK bipod so I have no real base for comparison either. Like I said above, for my situation, for $60, I couldn't go wrong. Here's a few, the rest can be seen in the galler that's linked

More bipod pics

By the way, I don't know which type of handguard I have, but the bipod fits nicely in the groove with enough room that tilting is nice and smooth and easy, but tight enough that it doesn't flop around. I added a little moly grease to the channel after the pictures and it's buttery smooth now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome pics Ringer. Thanks for taking the time to post them. The finish on the part that rides in the channel looks different from the HK ones I have seen, but not all that much. I wish I still had my genuine one from back in the early 80's so I could compare.

·
Registered
278 Posts
No problem, just happy to contribute.

I took some measurements as well with my handy-dandy mitutoyo digital calipers of the bipod as well as the handguard channel. Maybe they'd be of use to someone, I don't know. What would be nice is if someone with a HK bipod could take measurements as I've listed below and we could compare them.

A+C+D should = B but they are about .007" short on both sides. Didn't have my depth mike and these were relatively quick measurements so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don't think it would matter? No 2 are exactly the same!
I have 4 REAL HK SG1 Claw scope mounts and they are all cut slightly different. But they all fit and work as they should!
That being said!

The ProMag Bipods are made on the same tooling as HK so it would just depend on the worker doing the final fitting.

Again I have had the chance to hold both side by side! My best and Honest opinion is that the ProMag is just as good as an HK bipod! The only difference is that you might need to do a bit of filing, to make it fit perfect.
But for the price? You can't go wrong with the ProMag! (You can buy 3 promags for the price of an HK bipod)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts