HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The German Army has just released their tender for their "Assault Rifle Special Operations Forces".

This will include procurement of 1705 units between Sept. 2017 and June 2019.

Tender requirements:
- 5.56x45 NATO
- full auto and gas operating
- ambidextrous controls
- signature damping (i.e. silencer)
- STANAG 4694 Rails
- 90cm max length excl. signature damping
- usable in environments according to STANAG 4370 NATO A1-3 B1-3 C0-2 M1-3 without any compromise in functionality
- 10k rounds barrel life, 30k rest of gun
- 3.8kg max weight without optics or magazine
- accessories such as lasermodule, sling and others are expected

1705 will be the procurement batch for the winner, on top of that five production samples and 40 verification guns are to be supplied by entrants of the tender.

·
Registered
430 Posts
to be honest it would be about time for GER SF to jump on the 416 bandwagon! Other units have been running them since ages now. By the time Germany buys into the 416 HK will probably already sell the next big thing...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Keep in mind thoughvthe M16/AR platform does not have a reputation for extreme cold weather performance. For German SF that might be a serious strike against the 416

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep in mind thoughvthe M16/AR platform does not have a reputation for extreme cold weather performance. For German SF that might be a serious strike against the 416
The 416 is the service rifle of the norwegian armed forces. They use the 417 aswell. It has a stellar reputation for reliability in the country that was used to shoot the star wars assault of hoth and used by anartican pioneers for training. It really doesnt get much more hostile than that.

·
Registered
230 Posts
"Keep in mind thoughvthe M16/AR platform does not have a reputation for extreme cold weather performance."

I believe that's only an issue with DI AR. Extreme cold can possibly freeze and clog up the DI gas tube and render the rifle useless. Not the case with piston gun, as far as I know.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
"Keep in mind thoughvthe M16/AR platform does not have a reputation for extreme cold weather performance."

I believe that's only an issue with DI AR. Extreme cold can possibly freeze and clog up the DI gas tube and render the rifle useless. Not the case with piston gun, as far as I know.
Negative. It's multi-faceted problem that doesn't have to do with the gas tube. Lube is a problem in extremely cold temps; the wrong lube will thicken and gum up the internals, cease up bolts (if it's a tight, closed system like an AR). The advantage of say the 416 is that it is less-dependent upon constant lubrication as the DI is.

The issues we encounter are going in/out of a warm vehicle environment and back into cold and allowing for condensation which when re-introduced back to cold environments obviously freeze and cause problems. On a tight system (like the AR) this is indeed a problem, and it has nothing to do with the operating system with things like frozen hammers or selectors. Perhaps the 416 has a slight advantage in that the bolt moves quicker/harder or that the bolt doesn't heat up as much to gather condensation after firing, but it certainly is not immune to many of the cold weather issues that affect a standard AR.

On a related note, check out the old article for the 1986 Alaska SWAT rifle trials. Even the HK 91's and 93's tanked in their tests along with everything else that wasn't an AK variant (Valmet or Galil).

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
The 416 is the service rifle of the norwegian armed forces. They use the 417 aswell. It has a stellar reputation for reliability in the country that was used to shoot the star wars assault of hoth and used by anartican pioneers for training. It really doesnt get much more hostile than that.
Didn't the Norwegians have piston seizing problems at some point because of the cold? I'm pretty sure that's been discussed here.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't the Norwegians have piston seizing problems at some point because of the cold? I'm pretty sure that's been discussed here.
I am only aware of them requesting an adjustable gas block, which HK quickly improvised (that Gen1 with the right hand hex adjustment), only to turn out that the Norwegians never really use or need it.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
I am only aware of them requesting an adjustable gas block, which HK quickly improvised (that Gen1 with the right hand hex adjustment), only to turn out that the Norwegians never really use or need it.
That's what the issue was, the gas regulator was causing all kinds of issues and I think that got taken care of.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Here is an interesting development from Steyr/Rheinmetall which may well compete for the contract. Some obvious carryovers from AUG, like the quick change barrel.

Rheinmetall and Steyr Mannlicher unveil RS556 assault rifle | IHS Jane's 360

Ez
Very interesting, indeed. It has been already reported, though:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk417-hq/227989-90-000-hk416a5-france-25.html#post2324985
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk417-hq/227989-90-000-hk416a5-france-26.html#post2325257

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
YEP! That RS556 sure does carry on the AUG legacy. Barrel / gas block and that crazy slant based optic. Never know, it may be a contender but Germany seems to always forge their path with a standardized rifle. But who knows about their SOF guys. It will be interesting to see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts