HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've never owned a HK. I've shot a VP9 and I like them, but honestly my striker fired guns will stay Glocks. With that said I do want a nice hammer fired pistol and I love the look of HKs. I grew up in the 80's and the gun to own was the USP. So I looked into getting a USP 9c but after looking for a few days I fell in love with the P2000 instead.

So I went out to handle some P2000s. First I went to Palmetto State Armory and they had a P2000 V2 and a P2000 V3. I looked them over to try and identify the difference between the two but saw nothing different. I asked the worker how you could tell if one was V2 or V3 and I might as well been asking him what the square root of A is. Both were IDENTICAL appearance wise. Both had the decocker on the rear of the slide by the hammer. I racked the slides, decocked them, and tested. The V2 felt nice and in my mind felt like a 8-9lb trigger. The V3 felt the same, but a little heavier. But the trigger travel and everything felt the same, just a little heavier (maybe 11lbs).

So then I leave there thinking I definitely want what was labeled the "V2". I went across the street to Cabelas and they had a P30 V1. While it wasn't a P2000, I did want to feel the trigger. Again, it had the decocker on the rear of the slide. I racked the slide and decocked it. Felt like a long 11lb trigger to me.

In honesty I'm left now with more questions than I had before. How can you tell by looking at the gun if it is V1, V2, V3? From reading online it seems finding a V1 in the wild is rare in itself so I'm very curious how Cabelas of all places, had one.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I think you have been misinformed by the stores about which versions you handled. A P30 V1 does not have a decocker. In the P30 series, V1 and V2 are both lem triggers with V1 being a lighter pull than the V2. V3 is DA/SA with a decocker on the rear.

I fully understand being confused about the versions. To make matters worse, the versions are not the same in the usp line as the P series.

Dennis

·
Registered
313 Posts
In the P30 and P2000 series, both V1 and V2 use HK's LEM trigger system with V1 being light LEM (around 4.5 pounds), and V2 being heavy LEM (around 8 pounds) The V3 is a traditional DA/SA action, with a single action break around 4.5 pounds, and double action around 12 pounds.

The physical differences are easy to spot. V1 and V2 guns will have a bobbed hammer (no spur and no de-cocker), while V3 guns will have both a spurred hammer and a small de-cocking lever at the left rear of the frame. This is true of both P30 and P2000 models.

V1 pistols can indeed be found in the wild, as one of my local sporting good stores had a NIB P30L in V1 and it was on sale. To bad it was in .40S&W or i'd have bought it.

The USP series use the same system of V1, V2, etc., but the variants do not match those of the P30/P2000 family (e.g. USP9 V1 is DA/SA which will have a de-cocker, whereas P30 V1 is light LEM and will not).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The physical differences are easy to spot. V1 and V2 guns will have a bobbed hammer (no spur and no de-cocker), while V3 guns will have both a spurred hammer and a small de-cocking lever at the left rear of the frame. This is true of both P30 and P2000 models.
So a V2 or V1 will NOT have a decocker? AKA any P2000 with a decocker is a V3?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
A new P2000 (or P2000SK) will only be available in V2 LEM or V3 (DA/SA). You might find a V1 LEM P2000/P2000SK if it is pre-owned; the previous owner had it converted.

You never indicated whether the P2000s you handled at PSA and Cabela's were new or used.

Any P-series gun with a decocker on the rear is a V3. A P-series gun is one with a P (P30, P2000).

·
Registered
313 Posts
So a V2 or V1 will NOT have a decocker? AKA any P2000 with a decocker is a V3?
With the p-series (P30/P2000): If they are brand new guns, that is correct. Neither V1 or V2 will have a de-cocker.

It is possible to take a V3 gun, which starts as a DA/SA gun, and convert it to LEM by replacing the original hammer with the LEM hammer and cocking pice but leaving the V3 sear with the de-cocker. In other words, if it's a V1 or V2 gun with a de-cocker, someone has modified the gun and it wasn't HK.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A new P2000 (or P2000SK) will only be available in V2 LEM or V3 (DA/SA). You might find a V1 LEM P2000/P2000SK if it is pre-owned; the previous owner had it converted.

You never indicated whether the P2000s you handled at PSA and Cabela's were new or used.

Any P-series gun with a decocker on the rear is a V3. A P-series gun is one with a P (P30, P2000).
These were all new, I don't plan on getting a used one.

With that said should I take a chance at purchasing a V2 without ever touching a LEM? So far I don't know of ANYWHERE local that even has one to touch. Also where is the best place to purchase a new V2 P2000 if I decide that route?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
These were all new, I don't plan on getting a used one.

With that said should I take a chance at purchasing a V2 without ever touching a LEM? So far I don't know of ANYWHERE local that even has one to touch. Also where is the best place to purchase a new V2 P2000 if I decide that route?
You can convert a V2 LEM --> V1 LEM by swapping the springs. There are tutorials on here that show you how to do it.
Go to wikiarms.com and search for P2000. You'll find what you are looking for.

Also, compare the prices on there with one of our supporting vendors. Cross Creek Guns has the P2000's for $643 + $7 shipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts