HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has kinda been beat to death but I'm looking for information from other GI owners who has had the problem of disappearing head space in their guns. I got a new GI that started out at .12 headspace and then went under 10 in a hundred rounds or so. I got +2 rollers and it went back up to 12 and then after a hundred or so rounds the .10 won't fit. I bought a HK complete bolt assembly and when put in gun will not accept .10 gauge. I'm calling PTR on Monday to speak with them concerning the issue. Checked several times and there is no crack on the trunion. Any suggestions on how the conversation should go from people with a similar problem that was corrected will be a big help. S.N. G101**. I like the gun well enough that I am going to do what ever it takes to get it right. Shoots great but I am concerned with the above mentioned problem.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
So sad to here, My older JLD builds all hold bolt gap after 2,000 rnds. It just seems that they are cutting corners after the shallow flute issue.I just can,t understand this. Hope they fix you up bro. They,re CS is pretty good,don,t tell them about the parts swap. You don,t want to VOID your warranty. I was hoping good things for the G.I. model, but it seems they are using less quality parts,steel.welds, etc,,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should of said bolt gap. I have another PTR that is the model with the shallow flutes and the boltspace is good to go. I like the gun well enough that if I have to spend more money on it to get it right I will. Hopefully PTR will help me out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Have you checked for a cracked trunion?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked it several times and I don't see any cracks. I wonder if the metal is too soft and is compressing from the bolt hitting on it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have a feeling if the Bolt gap is still in Spec PTR will do nothing sorry to say, let us know how you make out.

HDH.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have 2 GI ptr's bolt gap stated on one at .025 and after 300rd dropped to .013 and stoped I put in + 6 roller like ghilie told me it a .020 and holding

the other ptr Gi started at .018 and droped to .011 added +6 rollers and has helded a .018

ghilie told me they used over size barrel pins in them and they will drop a lot

yours started at .012 you will drop to .005 add + 6 rollers you should have a .012 or .013 when done or add +8 for a better bolt gap

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
This sucks.. PTR, are you listening? This issue and how you deal with it is going to decide whether I buy a GI in the near future or just save up and buy a nice shooter grade original HK for my field battle rifle

I have a PTR heavy barrel and it was well done. Don't let me down because my dad said I have a memory like an elephant

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sergeant,
My GI started at .018" and RAPIDLY fell to around .006". It was at .005" when I called PTR and got into "Disagreement" with someone.
My trunnion is NOT cracked. I determined that the US/PTR made bolt head was too soft.
I put a H&K made bolt head assembly I had from the '80's in and gap was up to slightly over spec.
It has settled in at top spec and now has around 980 rounds through it. Not saying that is your problem, but something to look at.
Any local tool & die shop (maybe a machine shop also), can check the hardness. Also most Community Colleges/ Colleges with ENINEERING programs have these testers.
Good Luck with it!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Yeah, it sucks. They finally get the chamber/barrel problem worked out, but run out of quality imported bolts, so now they use sub standard US made bolts. Funny, same thing happened to DSA when they ran out of quality imported bolts. Their US bolts seem to break under the extractor. GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I contacted PTR and I was satisfied with the intial response. I was sent a UPS label and they came to my house to pick it up with no charge. The rifle is on the way back to the factory. I will update as the process continues. My first impression is that I am satisfied with PTR's response and am intially impressed with their customer service. I hope this feeling continues. I will follow up with updates to let everyone know how the process worked out. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I got the GI back from PTR and I am not sure what they did to the gun( the trunion looks to be the same one) but the head space is between .013 and .014 on the bolt that came with the gun. The German bolt is approximately .012 to .013. Gun shoots great. Looks like PTR is backing up their stuff. I am going to call on Monday and see if they will tell me the work they performed. The invoice just said "repair made as needed".

·
Registered
416 Posts
Both my repaired GI(cracked trunnion) and my MSG AW837x ser number, both with US bolt heads, have not dropped even a half a thou. Please identify the serial number range of your problem bolt heads. I suspect they've largely got it figured out, finally.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My new G.I. is broken in with 340 rds and is at .013, looks like Ghillie bear from above post wants them to run higher than that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got in touch with PTR yesterday. I called and spoke with the receptionist who was very helpful and asked that I call back and she would try to ascertain what was done. I called back and I was transfered to customer service and spoke with someone named Chris. He stated that he looked around the gunsmiths area and only found listed that work was done as needed. He then told me that they were not in the business of telling what they did to fix the guns but to fix and test fire them to make sure they were working properly. I thanked him and hung up. ????? I do appreciate PTR taking care of the problem but am a little confused on the conversation that I had with customer service. That being said I shot the gun and all is good. It printed 2" and a half to 1" and a half groups at 100 yards on a so so rest with a German surplus 4 power scope. I am happy with that and really like the weapon. 10-8

·
Registered
75 Posts
Some input from the otherside of the issue- my factory PTR-91, Ser #AW02XX" has held steady at .012" for over 1500 rounds.

I read somewhere (HK manual?) that factory spec is .004-.020 inches?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I read this and the other recent threads about PTR problems with alarm. My GI ptr91 serial GI04XX was bought last summer and I never checked the bolt gap when it was new. I didn't even know how to check it until a bought a POS C93.

I dug it out of the back of the safe and the bolt gap is .016. I've put less than 200 rounds through it so maybe it's too early to say that there's no problem. I looked at the trunion closely: no cracks that I can see but the receivers welds are lumpy.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
My PTR started out at 015 and is still there with just shy of 1,000 rds

1 - 20 of 21 Posts