HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forum members, before we go any further, this was approved by the admin team.

As many may have heard (if not, I’ll provide a link at the end) TommyBuilt was hit pretty hard with a ruling that affects not only his business, but our ability to own many of the fine firearms that he helps produce for us.

What happened for those that don’t know what’s going on, was that the T36 Receivers that were once approved by the ATF, have been recently reclassified as “machine guns.”

Another importer (I will not name, due to defamation, etc.) tried to have HK 243s imported. That importer was denied by the ATF because the design of the HK 243 was deemed a machine gun or can easily be manufactured to be as such. The importer then compared TommyBuilt’s T36 receivers to the HK 243 claiming that they too, could easily be converted. That led to the ATF looking further into the T36 receiver and then ultimately, led to what happened yesterday; a formal reclassification.

What does this mean for the owner of these receivers? Well, you’ve got two options. You can either keep it and be in violation of the law, or send your stripped receiver and $225 to TommyBuilt to have your barrel assembly swapped over to a brand new receiver that has been approved by the ATF. (Even though the last one was as well, this one has the internal sear block that the previous didn’t which led to being reclassified). If your firearm was a SBR/Post Sample, you’ve still got to send it for the upgrade to the TG36 receiver. But, if your item has a tax stamp applied, all TommyBuilt is making you pay is the $25 shipping because you’re losing your stamp. After talking to a few different ATF agents though, there can still be a chance of getting refunded because technically, this isn’t your doing. What I was told (I say this while stomping my foot), if you never “assembled” the SBR, example: installed the stock, you are able to get a refund if your stamp was approved within the last three years.

I know many people have been getting angry over needing to fork out more money for the new receiver. I get it, no one wants to add or soak more money into something already costing quite a bit. But what we need to remember is that it’s a fraction of what you’d otherwise need to spend for a new receiver. Tom runs a small business. Tom very well could have just folded and gone out and we’d all be screwed out of our investments/firearms or could have just said “it’s your problem, buy a new receiver.” Instead, Tom fought the ATF for as long as he could, putting himself over $70k in legal fees. You might think, okay, that’s bad, now factor this in: for each receiver he is replacing, he’s charging you $225 (unless you are replacing an NFA receiver) but he’s still losing about $350 per receiver. Tom would obviously just do a one for one swap if he could, but realistically, no small business could afford to do that and stay open.

I’m sure I don’t need to go on too much about what kind of person Tom is on here, I feel like if there’s any place that knows him, his work, and his level of commitment to customers; this place would know well.

That brings me to the point of this thread. Now that it has somewhat been aired out a bit and now that many know what’s going on, I’d like to provide you guys with a way to help out our good friend and community celebrity, Tom Bostic, AKA TommyBuilt. I have organized a GoFundMe page with a $15k goal, a small fraction of what Tom has incurred with legal feels and what he will continue to shell out of pocket doing the upgrades. I’m hoping that with your help, we can crush that goal and chip away at, or at least alleviate some of the debt Tom has partaken on behalf of us to continue to provide us the products we want as well as future products.

So, let’s get some money his way. Whatever you can afford to send. It doesn’t have to be a lot, because at this point with the legal fees and forking out these replacement receivers, every cent helps. Once we achieve or get close to our goal, the money will be presented to Tom.

Again, this post has been approved by the admin team, if you need to see that I’m not just some random dude on here, feel free to chat with me on here, my Instagram (@TheAverageShooter) or YouTube (The Average Shooter). I’m trying to get this shared on all of my social media outlets and Tom is aware of it, so no need to be secretive!

*Tom did not ask for this, nor did he hint to creating any kind of crowdfunding. This was my idea, and I included a few respected admin in the process.

If you have any questions, feel free to post on here or message me directly!

LINK TO GOFUNDME:

Tommy Built Business Rescue Fund, organized by Mathew Anderson

LINK TO EXPLANATION LETTER FROM TOMMYBUILT

Feel free to comment on here if you’d like to let us know you donated!

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Done Thanks for doing this

Bump....to keep awareness going
Sorry for being skeptical, with no dis-respect meant anyone, but rumors spread fast, and I've gotten burned with crowd-funding before.

Can admins or someone weigh in on this? If this bread is really going to Tom, I'm willing to contribute. Just have to do my due diligence, as they say.

Now, I already know how HK dudes get it done, so I'm pretty sure this is legit and super happy to contribute .. just need a word of confirmation.

·
Registered
444 Posts
So the HK243 dude selfishly screwed many thousands of others ... yep that is what we do in this community. sigh.

BTW donated - Tom has been good to me - always helpful. This sucks.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
So the HK243 dude selfishly screwed many thousands of others ... yep that is what we do in this community. sigh.

BTW donated - Tom has been good to me - always helpful. This sucks.
C'mon now. If the entity in question knew things would break down this way, maybe they'd have acted differently.
They tried to import HK243s. Got denied. Made an argument that they are similar to T36s.

Then the Feds go after Tom. This isn't Tom's fault. It isn't the would-be importers fault.

If you're angry at someone, let it be the ATF. Get on the horn, and try to get your representatives involved and asking questions.

I know, in the the end, 6 months from now we'll be having this same situation about a different gun.

So be it. Whoever said being free would be cheap, or easy?

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for being skeptical, with no dis-respect meant anyone, but rumors spread fast, and I've gotten burned with crowd-funding before.

Can admins or someone weigh in on this? If this bread is really going to Tom, I'm willing to contribute. Just have to do my due diligence, as they say.

Now, I already know how HK dudes get it done, so I'm pretty sure this is legit and super happy to contribute .. just need a word of confirmation.

I can understand the skepticism, especially after my brother-in-law just got burned ($850) on here for a T36 receiver this month.

But, what I can tell you, is that this post went in a pending status for review with the admin team before it was allowed to be posted. In addition, I did contact an admin (Omega21) about making this post before actually typing it out. I offered him/admins a position in the team (GoFundMe has a way to add additional “organizers”) to have oversight and ensure legitimacy.

If it makes you feel any better, I’m 14+ years of Active Duty military (still serving) and wouldn’t go risking my career by publicly letting everyone know I’m still serving and would get in a crap load of trouble should I fraudulently collect donations on behalf of someone. I know there are those “guys” out there that will commit fraud, but when I look in the mirror, I don’t see that guy. I also heard Karma was a royal B**** so I’d rather not be on bad speaking terms with her either lol.

If you have any questions though, to confirm validity, I can answer any questions you might have or you can check out my Instagram to see how I am with everyone.

Hopefully like you said, we HK dudes get it done!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for setting this up, in for a C-note - we all really need to view it as our way to push back on the overreach of this agency. As I point out to progressives, this is like the EPA deciding Priuses are gas-guzzlers and requiring them to be destroyed for violating the law!

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I assume that we could all write a well written nasty gram to the ATF to get our voices heard as well. As long as it’s professional and void of profanity or name-calling, I’m sure they’d read. Similar to the brace situation.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
My thoughts are that the importer who stirred the pot with the “but he did it” excuse used by school children should absolutely be named. It’s not defamation, it’s stating facts and letting people make informed decisions regarding who they choose to do business with. That said, the stand up behavior shown by Tommy should also be taken for what it is, a solid sign that by choosing his business to do business with then you’re not only helping a good man out, but placing yourself in good hands and “voting with your dollars” to make this world a little bit better place! 👏🏻👊🏻🖖🏻

-Patchez (HKBJJ)

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My thoughts are that the importer who stirred the pot with the “but he did it” excuse used by school children should absolutely be named. It’s not defamation, it’s stating facts and letting people make informed decisions regarding who they choose to do business with. That said, the stand up behavior shown by Tommy should also be taken for what it is, a solid sign that by choosing his business to do business with then you’re not only helping a good man out, but placing yourself in good hands and “voting with your dollars” to make this work a little bit better place! 👏🏻👊🏻🖖🏻

-Patchez (HKBJJ)
Trust me, deep down inside, I’d love to put him on blast, but I’m sure people will find his name scattered about at some point. But I was asked to not do that by a member of the admin team out of decency.

Honestly, I’d rather focus on the positive of helping out Tom and his company as we band together to show our support of one of our own. I’m sure that “bad guy” will hear about this endlessly after seeing what storm this has brought us.

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
3,329 Posts
As Straightgrain noted this is officially blessed by the staff. @TheAverageShooter has added me to the GoFundMe page so I will be able to confirm to everyone the money went to Tommy (plus TB is a member of this forum and can speak for himself). If you have any concerns with @TheAverageShooter , I can confirm for you he is an active duty sergeant first class paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division; although he sadly chose to be an artillery guy instead of a Cavalry guy ;)

To be clear with everyone, this activity is sanctioned by the forum, it is not endored by the forum. We are simply sharing info with the community on an opportunity to help a HK-oriented small business. Feel free to contact me or any forum staff member for questions.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts