HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided upon the USP fullsize in Variant 1.
Only problem I just don't know what caliber. I keep going back and forth in my head. I consider the .45 ACP a combat pistol round that can be used for offensive(if no long gun is avaliable) and defensive purposes. I consider the 9x19mm to be primarily a defensive round but with quality JHP rounds it can be very formidable round. So I'm stuck!

Any help in sight or personal experience is appreciated. I already have a Glock 26 Gen 4 9mm as my CCW. So this full size pistol will be for Range, Home Def, SHTF/WROL type stuff; plus I've always wanted a USP. I already bought an UTL for one lol.

These and the weighing factors I've come up with. And yes I eventually want to go silenced but I don't want a USP Tactical.

USP 9x19mm DA/SA Variant 1 (easy to shoot)
15rd Magazines (comes with flat base plates; cheaper than the .45 ACP ones & higher cap.)
Serpa CQC holster (fits both 9x19mm & .40 S&W pistols)
HK Factory USP Tactical 9x19mm threaded barrel
Silencer (9x19mm subsonic ammo is quieter silenced than .45 ACP)
Cheaper ammo (even for specialty ammo (ie: subsonic and JHP))

VS.

USP .45 ACP DA/SA Variant 1 (possibly larger grip, harder to handle?)
12rd Magazines (doesn’t come standard with flat base plates; plus they be pricey! Just alittle less cap.)
Serpa CQC holster (fits .45 ACP pistol only)
HK Factory USP Tactical .45 ACP threaded barrel
Silencer (.45 ACP is already subsonic, no need to buy special ammo for silencer use)
Higher priced ammo (already subsonic but still more pricey than 9x19mm)

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'm not sure what the difference in "offensive" vs "defensive" means when it comes to caliber selection. I don't think the recipient would know either. I shoot and reload both of those calibers, and think you would be well served by both. 9mm wins for cost, recoil, capacity and ease of shooting.

Also, ditch the SERPA holster if you are serious about getting setup right.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pick the one you want. Odds are that you will like it so much you will end up with the other as well.

·
Registered
865 Posts
There nothing wrong with going to the USP platform however, you might want to also look into the P30 for a "Do All". Some on here may say go with the HK45 and there's nothing wrong with that either. My advise is to pick one and train with that. Remember is't software (Training & Tactics) is what's going to win in a gun fight.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Lost my attention with "offensive" and "Serpa." Why the need for "specialty" ammo? Just curious. When I make decisions, it is based upon purpose, size, and what I can afford to feed (9mm usually wins out).

·
Registered
263 Posts
For what sort of offensive actions will the pistol be chosen? I assume you mean assaulting the red box at the cvs pharmacy down the street. If so, nothing less than 40 cal will do. Read up on the serpa, many le agencies and military are banning its use due to nd's upon drawing I believe.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Lost my attention with "offensive" and "Serpa." Why the need for "specialty" ammo? Just curious. When I make decisions, it is based upon purpose, size, and what I can afford to feed (9mm usually wins out).
THIS ^

gt for the win! :25:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'm not sure what the difference in "offensive" vs "defensive" means when it comes to caliber selection. I don't think the recipient would know either. I shoot and reload both of those calibers, and think you would be well served by both. 9mm wins for cost, recoil, capacity and ease of shooting.

Also, ditch the SERPA holster if you are serious about getting setup right.
This ^^^

This it's that simple really ^^^

·
Registered
69 Posts
I honestly think that my P30 LEM is the best pistol I have ever owned. That is not a knock on other HK pistols. Hard not to like them all frankly.

Just about the only concern I have with it is that I am going to get spoiled by the uncluttered look, feel and manual of arms. Then again though I should qualify that by offering that I have no issues with the "long" slide release, the mag release seems to have been made for me and while the trigger reset is not the best out there it is very good in my opinion.

In addition, this is the first usage of an IWB holster for me. While the holster is loosening up with use, I am still very pleased to have stayed with a pistol with a hammer that I can thumb during holstering. I know there are things about HK as a company that is not perfect but if the pistol itself is a good fit you, hard not to fall head over heals for it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
1. My first HK was a P30 and I don't regret that decision for a minute.

2. I'd rather fashion a holster out of twine, spit, and dung than carry a Serpa. If you want retention-based, check out a Safariland ALS...if not Raven Concealment or similar kydex variant is awesome.

3. As Wolvee and gtmtnbiker98 said, no idea what you mean by 'specialty ammo'. I trust Federal HST (147gr since I use 9mm) every day. As an aside, the P30 has functioned flawlessly on Tula steel 115gr, Federal 115gr, Ruag 124gr, Federal Hydrashok 124gr and Federal HST 147gr. I am just over 600 rounds in to the 2,000 round challenge with those with 0 problems. Pistol has around 1,200 total through it since I bought it in Feb.

4. With modern day advancements in ballistic technology, I do not feel under-gunned with 15+1 (+15 more in spare magazine) of 9mm defensive ammunition. As aforementioned, I trust Federal HST 147gr...the other 'best' IMO is the Winchester Ranger series in 124gr/147gr standard and +P.

·
Registered
69 Posts
While I am happy with my Garrett IWB holster I would love to be able actually see more of the retention holsters from Radar which is an Italian company. They don't appear to have any dealers here in the US but from what I can see from their web site (certainly not sufficient to trust your life to) their stuff looks interesting at least. Anybody have any real practical experience with their stuff?

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,395 Posts
May I ask why you don't want to go with the Tactical or SD model?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts