HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking at HK's again today, I saw what I believe to be a Custom Combat 9mm. It had the safety/decocker on the left side, but the trigger was most definitely better than the standard USP I've shot. Smoother DA and SA pulls, with a short and very crisp/distinct reset. It has the jet funnel kit also.This one was a consignment sale for $795. The salesman said he knows the owner who replaced it with a P30 and says it has less than 500 down the pipe.

Except for the used sticker, it would pass for new on the outside. It had very little scuffing on the barrel. He said it had had additional trigger work done by HK. IDK, but the SA pull was pretty light. The price includes gun, three jet funnel mags, box, and a blackhawk? holster. A USP is on my list as possible first purchase and while I wasn't really looking for this setup, it was pretty nice. Overpriced? Good deal?

Thx

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Does it have Novak fiber optic sights? $795 is a good price for a barely used 9mm CC.
Not sure what sort of factory trigger is on that gun, but if it has an overtravel screw on the trigger, that's a Match trigger.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The Custom Combat does not come from the factory with a Match Trigger installed, although I do find the trigger on my Custom Combat to be slightly better then a standard USP's trigger even without it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it have Novak fiber optic sights? $795 is a good price for a barely used 9mm CC.
Not sure what sort of factory trigger is on that gun, but if it has an overtravel screw on the trigger, that's a Match trigger.
Yes on the sites, the fiber optic on the front blade is orange/red. The trigger did not have an overtravel screw.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Custom Combat does not come from the factory with a Match Trigger installed, although I do find the trigger on my Custom Combat to be slightly better then a standard USP's trigger even without it.
Am I correct in that the difference between the Custom Combat and the Combat Competition is mainly that the Comp. has the Match/LEM hybrid?

ETA: Though I only handled it and dry fired it a time or two, the trigger on the CC felt much better than any of the 4 USP's I've shot. The clerk claimed this one had had some additional work on it.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Is there anything date code or serial code wise to confirm it as opposed to it being a modded USP? Or does it really matter?
Early AH (07') was the last date code (I am aware of) that featured the Novak sights as factory for both the Custom Combat and the Combat Competition. HK ended their contract with Novak after that, and subsequent pistols came with Meprolight Tru-Dot night sights as standard instead.

The 9mm models of both the Custom Combat and the Combat Competition have been considered as generally more desirable then the same in .40S&W. Provided the pistol is in as good a shape as you describe, it's fair to say your getting a good deal at the $795 asking price, as I paid $1100 for my .40S&W NIB with 2 mags.

This was the first pistol I ever owned, and in the countless rounds I have put through it, I have never had a single stoppage or malfunction with it. Within owning this pistol for so long I have converted it to V9 to take advantage of that excellent SA trigger pull. :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Early AH (07') was the last date code (I am aware of) that featured the Novak sights as factory for both the Custom Combat and the Combat Competition. HK ended their contract with Novak after that, and subsequent pistols came with Meprolight Tru-Dot night sights as standard instead.

The 9mm models of both the Custom Combat and the Combat Competition have been considered as generally more desirable then the same in .40S&W. Provided the pistol is in as good a shape as you describe, it's fair to say your getting a good deal at the $795 asking price, as I paid $1100 for my .40S&W NIB with 2 mags.

This was the first pistol I ever owned, and in the countless rounds I have put through it, I have never had a single stoppage or malfunction with it. Within owning this pistol for so long I have converted it to V9 to take advantage of that excellent SA trigger pull. :)

Why are the nine's more desirable than the .40's? I'd have guessed the opposite.

Are there any issues with keeping the jet funnel mags loaded? Whatever I get will also serve bump in the night duty, and I seem to recall a thread on here where someone said HK advised against keeping them loaded due to distortion issues. This didn't make sense to me as anything made for law enforcement use would not have a caveat such as that.

Nice pics!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Why are the nine's more desirable than the .40's? I'd have guessed the opposite.

Are there any issues with keeping the jet funnel mags loaded? Whatever I get will also serve bump in the night duty, and I seem to recall a thread on here where someone said HK advised against keeping them loaded due to distortion issues. This didn't make sense to me as anything made for law enforcement use would not have a caveat such as that.

Nice pics!
I can tell you from my own experience that if left fully loaded for extended periods the jet funnel mag springs compress enough so that they do not hold the slide open after the last round, they will still function/feed properly, just not hold the slide open. If you plan to shoot it alot and will be loading & unloading frequently then you will be okay. If you are going to load a mag and leave it in your nightstand for a year leave 2 or 3 rounds out. Plus I agree to go buy it before it is gone

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can tell you from my own experience that if left fully loaded for extended periods the jet funnel mag springs compress enough so that they do not hold the slide open after the last round, they will still function/feed properly, just not hold the slide open. If you plan to shoot it alot and will be loading & unloading frequently then you will be okay. If you are going to load a mag and leave it in your nightstand for a year leave 2 or 3 rounds out. Plus I agree to go buy it before it is gone
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Personally, I have encountered no issues with leaving the JF magazines loaded for extended periods. I do download the magazine I store in the pistol by a single round.

The 9mm models tend to be more desirable simply because 9mm is generally more popular then .40S&W.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have 17, out of that, 7 work perfectly and 10 do not lock the slide back. Interestingly enough, out of the 10 that don't lock the slide, only 3 will not lock the slide back in either of my .40 usp's. One has the jet funnel and one doesn't. on the regular one, 14 of 17 will lock the slide. 3 for sure do not on either but they all feed flawlessly while shooting. I have tested swapping out the springs for new ones and this is the culprit.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 17, out of that, 7 work perfectly and 10 do not lock the slide back. Interestingly enough, out of the 10 that don't lock the slide, only 3 will not lock the slide back in either of my .40 usp's. One has the jet funnel and one doesn't. on the regular one, 14 of 17 will lock the slide. 3 for sure do not on either but they all feed flawlessly while shooting. I have tested swapping out the springs for new ones and this is the culprit.
17?! So no issues with the mags warping then. I can't find the thread where someone said that HK advised against leaving them stored loaded.

I'm going to call the LGS and see if they still have it.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Not to dispute what you said, but I found this pic. It has an AK date code with Novak sights.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Not to dispute what you said, but I found this pic. It has an AK date code with Novak sights.
It is fine to dispute what I stated. You will note I did say "I am aware of". :)

I thought AH was the last date code to feature the Novaks, but it appears there are later ones. Whatever the case, the current pistols no longer come with the Novaks.

Still need to get three more, 17 just seems odd, 20 is a more rounded number!
I have seven JF magazines, and here I was foolishly thinking that was alot! :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts