HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking for a while and it was a difficult choice between this, a production BA9, and a SP5K. I like the look of the "normal" MP5 so that is why I didn't get the K version from HK. I am still hopeful they release one based on the MP5 (HK SP5 maybe?).

I would have gotten the BA9 but their warranty is only 3 years compared to 5 from Zenith. I was also thinking of their custom line or maybe getting a Dakota Tactical but that would be like getting a Wilson Combat without ever shooting a 1911.

So, we'll see how it goes and if it goes well I am going to have to research 922r to SBR it someday.

I was thinking of the following parts:
  1. Charging handle
  2. Trigger
  3. Trigger Box
  4. Hammer
  5. Sear
  6. Handguard
Picking this up too.

So if you all have any tips, what to expect, recommendations, let me know. Thank you. :63:

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Get a sear and 922r no longer applies.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Get a sear and 922r no longer applies.

Problem solved.
Yeah, I need to move to America first. I live in Illinois at the moment so no sear for me. :(

This... Do it now
Yeah, this is number one priority right now. I really wanted to try the hk-parts magazines but they are all sold out. Any other recommendations?

I am thinking these used ones for range use and these sp5k mags for backup.

Do the SP5k mags fit on the Z5-RS? I keep reading that is a thing on some receivers, some have a tab to block out some mags, etc. The world of the MP5 is not as simple as it looks. :0500:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrats on the MKE. I wouldn't wait on getting the NFA process started. With the election going the way it's going, who knows how long we will have that option.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats on the MKE. I wouldn't wait on getting the NFA process started. With the election going the way it's going, who knows how long we will have that option.
Then I have a good 6-9 months to decide between the retractable stock or the fixed stock. I am leaning towards fixed just because it looks a bit more comfortable to cheek weld and it also gives it that classic look.

I need to do more research but is anybody running a QD sling with their "MP5"?

·
Registered
86 Posts
It doesn't seem like there are many QD cup options available. You could throw one on there if you get a tri rail or mlok/keymod flavor up front and use a QD sling rear pin for the aft of the gun.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For 922r compliance I went with the following:

Op rod (cocking handle)
Trigger housing
Trigger
Hammer
Sear
Pistol grip

Which brings me to the compliant 10 major imported parts. This setup was a bit more of a hassle to reach than what most people do because I had to use a surplus steel G3 housing and cut off the back end so it fit the MP5 receiver. This allowed the fitting of a US-made wooden pistol grip. I also bought the US-made aluminum trigger box - which is different enough from my MKE housing to warrant brand new minor components rather than transferring over the small parts. In that trigger housing I fit the US-made trigger, hammer, and sear. If I remember right, everything totaled ~$300. On the plus side, I now have two complete lower housings.

All of my compliance parts are confined inside the lower grip housing except for the cocking handle, which is a part that will likely not get any more modification. On top of that, I have the freedom to use whichever mags and furniture (forearm & stock) that I want without regard for their origin. Stamp should be back any day now and I can hardly wait.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For 922r compliance I went with the following:

Op rod (cocking handle)
Trigger housing
Trigger
Hammer
Sear
Pistol grip

Which brings me to the compliant 10 major imported parts. This setup was a bit more of a hassle to reach than what most people do because I had to use a surplus steel G3 housing and cut off the back end so it fit the MP5 receiver. This allowed the fitting of a US-made wooden pistol grip. I also bought the US-made aluminum trigger box - which is different enough from my MKE housing to warrant brand new minor components rather than transferring over the small parts. In that trigger housing I fit the US-made trigger, hammer, and sear. If I remember right, everything totaled ~$300. On the plus side, I now have two complete lower housings.

All of my compliance parts are confined inside the lower grip housing except for the cocking handle, which is a part that will likely not get any more modification. On top of that, I have the freedom to use whichever mags and furniture (forearm & stock) that I want without regard for their origin. Stamp should be back any day now and I can hardly wait.
Not a bad setup at all. So does the trigger housing have to be US made or can it just be the trigger box? Also, I am not a metallurgist but is there a way to know where the part comes from? I ask because my charging handle is not engraved with US or anything like that even though it is listed as 922r compliant. :confused:

I know a lot of people don't care much about 922r but I would like to follow the law regardless of how weird and useless it is when it comes to firearms.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So this whole time I have been asking myself what this full auto block looked like. Well finally I get to see what it is. Hope these pictures help others. The block is the out of focus part pointed by the red arrow.

11hUQV4.png
Zlg3KZX.jpg

·
Registered
274 Posts
Then I have a good 6-9 months to decide between the retractable stock or the fixed stock. I am leaning towards fixed just because it looks a bit more comfortable to cheek weld and it also gives it that classic look.

I need to do more research but is anybody running a QD sling with their "MP5"?

you'll need both stocks. one to look at and one to shoot!

DS

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Time to submit the paperwork. I am extremely impressed with this firearm.

I used the MKE mags as well as an SP5K mag and some "well used" magazines (one with the plastic follower). Ran 100 rounds of 115gr and 50 of 124gr flawlessly.

Here is a pic. :)
8PYZc9j.jpg

Now to submit the Form 1 paperwork. :7:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts