HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after quite a few years of wanting one I got my first HK pistol. It's a NIB USP .40 compact LEM with tru dot sights. I got it from a friend of mine who needed some cash. Paid 550 for it so I had to take it. It's a German made BA date code (2010) I think. I am a 1911 guy and this is the first plastic gun that has ever felt as good as my 1911s. So now a few questions. First I love the dark black finish on the slide. What type of IWB holster will cause the least ammount of wear? Second thing is I am not sure about the DAO trigger. What would it take to convert it to a var. 1? What do you guys like as far as hollow points for this gun. I love the build quality on these guns. This thing is a tac driver and feels the same every time I shoot it. Just cant decide what to carry, the USP or my Kimber UC2.

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
The best holster to minimize holster wear is the safe. All other holsters, with use, will cause wear. As for hollow points, whatever feeds through reliability. I recommend the avoidance of Hornady's current marketing gimmicks. I use Speer Gold Dot 165gr. since it is free. In order to convert your LEM to V1 simply call HK and ask for the necessary parts kit, ~$100.00.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The best holster to minimize holster wear is the safe. All other holsters, with use, will cause wear. . .
THIS^

However, there are some differences: A hard plastic holster like Kydex will wear through the finish a bit more/faster, but only in very small high-spots on the slide. A leather holster will tend to wear more slowly (if kept relatively clean), but will affect a larger area of the slide since there is generally alot more surface contact.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
. . . What would it take to convert it to a var. 1? . . .
I strongly suggest converting it for free. You can easily get the parts for free by offering to trade your LEM parts for V1 parts on this forum's "Parts & Accessories For Sale" section. If instead you want to keep your original parts, you can put up a WTB ("Want to Buy") Ad for V1 parts. MANY guys have them left-over, laying around in their parts-boxes gathering dust, from when they did their own LEM conversions. You can get them dirt cheap that way. Additionally, if you are intending to ride the safety, you might also look into getting the parts to make your safety-lever function only as a safety and not also as a decocker.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I think someone here has a Milt Sparks VMII for a compact for sale in the "saddlery" section.

PM sent on V1 kit...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. So what does everyone like about the LEM trigger. What is the pull like on a var 1? I am just used to the 1911 and all mine are SAO with about 4.5 pull and short take up. If I understand the va1 is a SA/DA 5.5 pull. How is the creep/take up on the var 1?

I bet you guys love the newbs.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
. . . So what does everyone like about the LEM trigger. What is the pull like on a var 1? I am just used to the 1911 and all mine are SAO with about 4.5 pull and short take up. If I understand the va1 is a SA/DA 5.5 pull. How is the creep/take up on the var 1? . . .
The LEM has really long take-up but has the advantage of having the same trigger pull on every shot, shortish reset if you know how to work it, and no safety to mess with.

Trigger-pull on my well-used bone-stock original V1 USP 45 is 4 lbs 6.5 ounces. The take-up is about 5/32", and it has lots of creep.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I would echo what has been said about holster wear, but remember nothing is absolute.

It's going to get holster wear if you actually use it, no matter what. Don't worry about it, and don't buy some cheese **** lined holster to try and protect the finish, either....those will typically wear it more, since they're soft and don't hold the gun rigidly, thereby letting it move around inside the holster a tiny bit that is largely imperceptible when in use. They're also more apt to retain moisture than a well sealed horsehide holster or kydex.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am just going to go with a leather iwb holster from Don Hume. I will just have to come to terms with the wear. Give it the same style my 1911 has.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What do you guys like as far as hollow points for this gun.
Though they are a bit hard to find, I carry the 165gr Federal HST in my P2000SK. It's a round popular with law enforcement and many departments have found it to be the best round in that caliber as far as stopping power. After a lot of searching I found it available at Streicher's (Streicher's Police Equipment | Holsters, Ammunition, Uniforms and More). It runs like just about everything runs in an HK - boringly reliable.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I think I am going to use Speer Gold Dot. I notice they have the SB stuff. Any of you guys try that out?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts