HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m really pleased with the way my SP5 turned out with the Knights RAC set-up. I ended up going with the Trijicon MRO HD because of its compact size and I like that you can select from just the dot or circle and dot. I prefer the circle and dot because I find that my eyes pickup the sight much faster. I have the Vortex Razor UH-1 on a different gun and it has a similar reticle. The MRO HD is very clear and has no discernible magnification or distortion. I had looked at the original (non-HD) MRO and didn’t care for it because it looked like there was some distortion. Almost like it had a bit of magnification. None of that with the HD. It has the low mount and the reticle sits just above the front sight hood. I threw on my Surefire pistol light on it for fun but It works well on there and doubles as a hand stop.

Because the Knights rail mount sits so low and the MRO is compact, neither of these components get in the way of the charging handle when manipulating for loading and unloading. This was really important to me and I was worried about it after seeing that some claw mounts and sights can be obtrusive. Requiring care to not jam you finger or knuckle into the mount. The main thing that I noticed after I installed everything was that the RAC hand guard is definitely wider than the origI already polymer one. Not terrible but something to be aware of. So if you’re considering the Knights system, I put together some Pros & Cons below based on my observations.

Pros:
Typical Knights quality
Very solid and nothing wiggles or moves
RAS rail is low profile & provides plenty of room for your hand to operate the charging handle
RAS rail does not mar the finish like a claw mount can
More accessory mounting options such as lights, lasers etc.

Cons:
RAC hand guard is a bit wide
The setup as a whole, adds more weight than a basic polymer hand guard
Not a cheap

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nice! How do you like that brace? I have the PDW version, and may pick that up as well. I have the Knights rail already, just waiting on the opticrail to become available somewhere at a good price

·
Registered
94 Posts
Very nice! Does your brace interfere a touch with the side of the Knights rail when folded? That's the one issue I ran into with mine. It's ever so slight, but enough that the brace doesn't fully lock in the folded position.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’m really pleased with the way my SP5 turned out with the Knights RAC set-up. I ended up going with the Trijicon MRO HD because of its compact size and I like that you can select from just the dot or circle and dot. I prefer the circle and dot because I find that my eyes pickup the sight much faster. I have the Vortex Razor UH-1 on a different gun and it has a similar reticle. The MRO HD is very clear and has no discernible magnification or distortion. I had looked at the original (non-HD) MRO and didn’t care for it because it looked like there was some distortion. Almost like it had a bit of magnification. None of that with the HD. It has the low mount and the reticle sits just above the front sight hood. I threw on my Surefire pistol light on it for fun but It works well on there and doubles as a hand stop.

Because the Knights rail mount sits so low and the MRO is compact, neither of these components get in the way of the charging handle when manipulating for loading and unloading. This was really important to me and I was worried about it after seeing that some claw mounts and sights can be obtrusive. Requiring care to not jam you finger or knuckle into the mount. The main thing that I noticed after I installed everything was that the RAC hand guard is definitely wider than the origI already polymer one. Not terrible but something to be aware of. So if you’re considering the Knights system, I put together some Pros & Cons below based on my observations.

Pros:
Typical Knights quality
Very solid and nothing wiggles or moves
RAS rail is low profile & provides plenty of room for your hand to operate the charging handle
RAS rail does not mar the finish like a claw mount can
More accessory mounting options such as lights, lasers etc.

Cons:
RAC hand guard is a bit wide
The setup as a whole, adds more weight than a basic polymer hand guard
Not a cheap

View attachment 287088 View attachment 287089

Hell yeah man, best setup for sure, now it just needs a stamp.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! How do you like that brace? I have the PDW version, and may pick that up as well. I have the Knights rail already, just waiting on the opticrail to become available somewhere at a good price
The SBT5KA brace is great, I really like it. I thought about the PDW version like yours because its much more streamlined when collapsed but I had read some reviews stating it wasn't as good for sight alignment.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice! Does your brace interfere a touch with the side of the Knights rail when folded? That's the one issue I ran into with mine. It's ever so slight, but enough that the brace doesn't fully lock in the folded position.
Yes, it touches where the RAS Rail mounts to the RAC but its parallel with the gun so I don't think it really interferes. I don't think mine locks in the folding position anyway. Is it supposed to?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hell yeah man, best setup for sure, now it just needs a stamp.
Yeah, I'm thinking about SBRing it but for now, I like the freedom of just using a brace and being able to take it out of state easier etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, it touches where the RAS Rail mounts to the RAC but its parallel with the gun so I don't think it really interferes. I don't think mine locks in the folding position anyway. Is it supposed to?
I'm not sure on your brace. The Gearheadworks does, but that slight interference has an impact. I was curious if this is common with most folding braces/stocks and the Knights rail. The Knights stuff is so high quality that I'll likely live with it, but wanted to see if it was a common situation.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice setup. I'm running the same on one of my SP5s and I have the parts for my other one, but Im debating going B&T instead. the lightweight aluminum hand guard and the lo pro mount are awesome. KAC gear is bulletproof and a beast, while the B&T is a bit more streamlined. oh well good problem to have

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure on your brace. The Gearheadworks does, but that slight interference has an impact. I was curious if this is common with most folding braces/stocks and the Knights rail. The Knights stuff is so high quality that I'll likely live with it, but wanted to see if it was a common situation.
The hinge on mine is fairly stiff so it just stays in the folded position on it's own. It doesn't appear to have a lock for the folded position so I'm guessing SB Tactical probably made the hinge firm to hold it in the folded position.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice setup. I'm running the same on one of my SP5s and I have the parts for my other one, but Im debating going B&T instead. the lightweight aluminum hand guard and the lo pro mount are awesome. KAC gear is bulletproof and a beast, while the B&T is a bit more streamlined. oh well good problem to have
I think most of the added weight with this set-up is from the hand guard. Both the hand guard and rail adapter are aluminum but there's a lot of it in the hand guard which adds the weight. I would guess the RAS rail for the optic itself is no heavier than the B&T Claw mount.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looks good. It's definately begging to be SBR'd so you can add a vertical grip.
It's a shame HK didn't go with a open top front sight on the MP5 and UMP45. It would make shooting with a red dot sight less annoying.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looks good. It's definately begging to be SBR'd so you can add a vertical grip.
It's a shame HK didn't go with a open top front sight on the MP5 and UMP45. It would make shooting with a red dot sight less annoying.
i saw a video of a guy on the HK shooting team, his had a cut hood. i wonder if they did that themselves.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nice setup. How are you all installing the rail and optic mount without scratching up the receiver? I scratched the heck out of my PCS MP5 clone when mounting these things, but it's okay as the PCS is my test bed for everything. I tried tape but the rail fits too tight against the trunnion area.

I don't dare try mounting the optic rail on my SP5.....yet lol.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice setup. How are you all installing the rail and optic mount without scratching up the receiver? I scratched the heck out of my PCS MP5 clone when mounting these things, but it's okay as the PCS is my test bed for everything. I tried tape but the rail fits too tight against the trunnion area.

I put some heavy duty high temp electrical tape from 3M on the area where the rail extends to the receiver. When sliding said rails over the electrical taped reciever, I pulled the rails apart as I slid the hand guard on. This provided just enough clearance to not gouge up the taped receiver. I left the tape there as well because it will protect the receiver from vibration scratches when shooting. You have to look for it to even notice the tape.

·
Registered
94 Posts

I used heavy packing tape, folded in half, when I mounted mine. I left enough sticking out in each end to pull it out when I was done. Getting the RAS off may be a different story, but I plan to just keep it on. There’s enough space when the rails are bare to clean under it and get to the slots for the cocking handle pin.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts