HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can you share what courier's labels were provided to you by your gunsmiths?
Sure. The last one was Cajun Guns, who specializes in CZ. He sent me the label but I didn't use it. I seem to recall the Bruce Gray does too, but his lines are busy over the holidays and I can't check it. Others are lost in the past, sorry.

If you plan to ship and don't at least check for a mailing label you're potentially leaving money on the table.

Edited to add: One definitely was Ultralight Arms when one of Mel Forbes' triggers developed an issue. Not only did he provide the shipping label, he scheduled the Fed-Ex pickup. It was kind of funny - the Fed-Ex guy got to my house before Forbes' warning, so I had to give the guy ice tea while he waited for me to finish packing it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ok somebody can correct me if I am in the wrong here. And I'd actually appreciate it if they did, so I have the correct information.
But, shipping a firearm is not the same as sending a regular package. We are talking about federally regulated WEAPONS here. There are legalities involved! Yes, manufacturers Can issue labels, but yes, due to whatever criteria the govt sets down... ups(which is owned by the govt oddly enough) doesn't qualify into that criteria.
Also, yes, licensed dealers can ship, because they have to maintain records. And accountability.
That's the key word, accountability. Who is receiving that weapon, and who is it coming from.
A prepaid label, no who is it coming from. If lonewolf sends you a label, the only info they have is... Oh, lonewolf is sending lonewolf a gun.
It's all red tape. Nobody likes it, everybody hates it, but don't complain on the people that have to go under those guidelines. It's not their fault!
That said, yes, that shipping is expensive. Talk to some of your gun stores and have them ffl ship it, you could save a lot. And ur gonna have to pick it up from a ffl when they've shipped it back out, so why not?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
@Jaywalker: thank you for replying to my question. I agree that some manufacturer's will provide labels as a part of warranty service like Mel did for your Ultralight (envious, btw). That's a bit different from sending a gun to them for first round of custom work; I've not heard of such instances. In regards to Bruce Gray, as of 2011 and 2013 he didn't provide anything other than explicit instructions which courier to use and which don't when sending a gun to him. Cajun provides shipping labels, for warranty work for sure and I don't know about first trip for any custom work. Cajun, like many others in the industry, provides a 2 day FedEx shipping label. I will refrain from discussion of ramifications when using that label.
@Disregarded9-side: I understand your frustration about your thread being hijacked. I'd appreciate if you shared any experience with GGI if you went that route. As I said above, I don't think they get a lot of HK work now so there is no current info in that regard. From some tangential info that I am privy to, I think it would be prudent to go with whoever refinishes and recoats the surfaces of those parts. Good luck with your choices.

·
Registered
348 Posts
So, let me get this straight - you've never asked a gunsmith about providing you a shipping label, even though doing so might save you $50?
Thats correct. It's always been provided to me without asking for warranty work. Any custom work I never bothered asking as I honestly don't really care that much... it's fifty dollars. Hardly a lot of money...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update: Going with LW. He's taking what must be a needed vaca until the 15th, then I'll send my pistol in, then 20 weeks later I'll let y'all know how she shoots.

Random; but do y'all think they're going to make me pay for shipping?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
She'll shoot great. This is what I have left now from my half dozen of HKs, a V1 which was initially done by GGI into a reduced reset package, and then later LW combined reduced reset with reduced pretravel parts. Kind of feel guilty I don't shoot it anymore. Personally I felt that reduced pretravel was more of ergonomic change while reset for me was a performance enhancer. Overall though it is a top package that P30 can be made into.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I used Robert Burke aka the Sig-armorer and he was very highly recommended, a bit cheaper and very fast. However he doesn't change as many factory values on as many parts as the other two aforementioned armorers or plate the internals. I've no doubt that trigger work from the other two top tier armorers is a cut above. On a side note, and I'm not a machinist, I really don't understand why Grey Guns, Lazy Wolf, The Sig Armorer, etc... Can't take what they do with their custom work and come up with drop in kits (sear, hammer, dis-connector, trigger-bar, springs) that would be obviously not the same as with hand fitted work, but similar to, in a mass produced format from a quality machinist.... 20 week wait times on a polymer pistol is nuts... More demand than a smith can keep up with. Begs the question of why not take on an apprentice with such high demand.

·
Registered
721 Posts
@ecsuser. True. But with that paranoia, people like Bill Wilson wouldn’t have networked to form WilsonCombat and wouldn’t continue to hire in fear that the employee would eventually start their own company. And in fact a faction did branch off with success, arguably not hurting Wilson. While it could happen similar to Rick leaving Bruce and the world of Hk is a niche market compared to 1911’s, both smiths apparently have more demand then they can honor in what I believe most would consider reasonable...Forest or Trees... I think they’re leaving a lot of business n who knows opportunities on the table...

Reactions: Disregarded9-side

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
@ecsuser. True. But with that paranoia, people like Bill Wilson wouldn’t have networked to form WilsonCombat and wouldn’t continue to hire in fear that the employee would eventually start their own company. And in fact a faction did branch off with success, arguably not hurting Wilson. While it could happen similar to Rick leaving Bruce and the world of Hk is a niche market compared to 1911’s, both smiths apparently have more demand then they can honor in what I believe most would consider reasonable...Forest or Trees... I think they’re leaving a lot of business n who knows opportunities on the table...
Far as I can tell the both are still on great terms with no ill will. It's like picking the blue car vs the black car. They're both virtually identical, only difference being color. That said Rick is fantastic and I love working with him on guns!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts