·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I wouldn't order that.

It's a crappy nylon holster with no retention. If you get into an accident, your weapon is going flying........whoa, deja vu 1986 Miami FBI shootout! No bueno!

If you have to use a holster mounted in the car, use one with retention. Also be aware that there are some disadvantages to that setup, namely the ability to forget it as you get out.....it happens.

I think training would be a much better option. You should be able to find a course that trains you to draw from your holster while in the car, and hopefully has you shoot from inside a car. It's not that hard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
TGS has a good point, but the most obvious problem would be when you see red and blue lights in your rearview mirror. Do you really not think that every police officer that walks up to your driver's window is going to spot your gun in plain sight right away, and then you'll be looking at HIS gun pointed at you? Based on the photo, the guy that came up with that idea didn't think too far ahead.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In California a CCW, which isn't easy to obtain in this state, allows concealed carry on your person, and by extention lawfully concealed anywhere in your car.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Having a ccw doesnt mean that you can just have your piece anywhere in the car either.
He's a NV resident. Unless I'm mistaken, he doesn't even need a concealed handgun permit to possess a loaded handgun off body in his car....so under the seat, glove-box, console, steering column, would all be legal even without a permit.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong......I don't ever go to NV.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
In NC, with a permit, you may conceal a pistol anywhere on or about your person. No limits in vehicles. The law does state:

"If you are in a vehicle and stopped by a law enforcement officer, you should put both hands on the steering wheel, announce you are in possession of a concealed handgun and state where you have it concealed, and that you are in possession of a permit. Do not remove your hands from the wheel until instructed to do so by the officer."

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just move to a better state where there's no such thing as Concealed Carry in a car. You can do whatever you want in the car here.

As far as that mounting location, decide now if you enjoy the use of your knees. There is a very hard steel plate there, and it won;t give, so if you have a hard frontal impact, your knees will be jammed into that gun. Consider something along the console or between the seats. Somewhere it would be more natural to reach to. I wouldn't want to have to draw from below the steering column in any of my cars, it'd take me forever.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for your input. After careful thought I have decided to put this idea in the garbage.
FYI, in Nevada, a CCW holder is not required to tell the officer that a weapon is in the car or on the person. When they run the driver's license check it will come back flagged as a CCW holder. Of course, I always keep my hands in sight and tell the officer I am carrying regardless of the state I am in......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good for you Zroiron. Nothing worthwhile about that 'gimmick'. Anyway, as a 30 year So. Cal. police officer, I can say that your last post reflects the best way to behave when approached by a policeman. Preferably just give the officer a 'heads-up' when he contacts you that you're armed, and keep your hands on the steering wheel until the officer leaves. He'll appreciate it. Over the course of my career I stopped countless off-duty officers, from FBI, Secret Service, sheriffs, CHP, police officers, etc., and they all, to a man, were always cool and subtly let me know they were armed. My response, once I obtained their ID, was always "Have a nice day". Hopefully it'll work for you.

·
2,832 Posts
I have a J frame that is in a leather paddle holster that goes between the clamshell around the steering column, been running this set up for years, I can remove the whole thing and its movable around the column, very hard to see, very easy to get to, it take no odd movements

FYI, many many years ago someone tried to carjack me, he lost but since then I have had a weapon handy while in the car(besides whats on my person)

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
We were issued the High Standard .22 Magnum Derringer as a back-up/last-ditch piece, along with a cheap ankle holster (my academy class was the last one to get them, in 1978). Most of us carried a J frame as a BUG, and strapped that ankle rig w/Derringer to the steering column of our units, with the holstered piece underneath. It actually worked out quite well.

However, I agree that this particular example of the concept leaves much to be desired, for all of the reasons stated.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Agreed, I'd much have a holster for in between my center console and my seat, conceals good enough - and easily accessible.
Not a fan of that on the steering column and it would drive me nuts hitting it with my legs...

Also need to get something to holster on the side of my bed so I can grab on a roll out.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
A better idea is the between drivers seat and console holster. I could make such a system from scratch and I don't need to buy anything. I am currently making an Aussie style padded sheath for my FN SLP shottie

·
Registered
18 Posts
In NC, with a permit, you may conceal a pistol anywhere on or about your person. No limits in vehicles. The law does state:

"If you are in a vehicle and stopped by a law enforcement officer, you should put both hands on the steering wheel, announce you are in possession of a concealed handgun and state where you have it concealed, and that you are in possession of a permit. Do not remove your hands from the wheel until instructed to do so by the officer."
We're also lucky in NC in that OC is permissible without permit, even in a vehicle.

I solved part of this problem by using a cheap Serpa CQC, with retention, a couple of the Blackhawk Quick Disconnect Kit items (male & female) and mounted a female plate to the center console in each of my vehicles. This allowed the Serpa, with its own QC plate to just snap into whichever vehicle I was driving. No risk of flying firearms in a collision AND easy access for either person in the front seat.

Granted, not the best solution for everyone in every state, but it worked for me in NC. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
A while back I bought a left handed Fobus paddle holster for this reason. Was going to drill it into the left side dash of the console. Haven't gotten up the balls to do it yet

And I'm a little bitter that my call of duty edition Rubicon didnt already come with turrets/holsters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldn't order that.

It's a crappy nylon holster with no retention. If you get into an accident, your weapon is going flying........whoa, deja vu 1986 Miami FBI shootout! No bueno!

If you have to use a holster mounted in the car, use one with retention. Also be aware that there are some disadvantages to that setup, namely the ability to forget it as you get out.....it happens.

I think training would be a much better option. You should be able to find a course that trains you to draw from your holster while in the car, and hopefully has you shoot from inside a car. It's not that hard.
In the FBI shooting the agent had the weapon on the seat not in a holster. I have one of these and they are great. I'm 6'2 and my legs never touch the gun. But I drive a truck though, more leg room. Also, why wouldn't you want to go to NV? Because they are conservative in their gun laws? NJ has the most liberal laws except for maybe Illinois... maybe. BTW, I am a current LEO in Vegas for the last 25 years. All vehicles and people are considered armed until proven otherwise...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts