HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a most satisfying day at the range today. I took my XSE Commander out for a spin with new springs for the magazines and three different loads. Before I went into the shooting area I noticed for rent was a USP Compact in 45 ACP. Well, you know I had to rent it since I've been looking at this one for awhile. I shot 230 gr FMJ, 230 gr HST and some GDHP ammo as well as 200 gr LSWC ammo through it. The pistol itself looked fairly clean for a range rental but the magazine was atrocious. I'm surprised I didn't have half a dozen malfunctions. I only had one with the 230 gr GDHP and never seen one quite like that one. About the next to last round, I felt something go wrong and looking down inside a round had tried to make it to the chamber but was stopped by the ejector. The ejector was riding over top the round close to the rim and slightly extended beyond preventing the round from chambering. I don't know when the pistol was made but it had a "KK" on the slide-not sure what date that is. the trigger did bother my finger the first mag full but I learned to position the trigger finger a little differently and solved that problem.

Other than that, it was a sweet shooter and just a bit of creep in the trigger but the take up I thought may be really long wasn't bad at all and I can get use to that pretty easily. I think this is gong to be my next pistol. It felt good in my hand, trigger reach was no problem, it was smooth as butter even though a neglected range rental. I know the potential problems some pistols have when going from a full size model to a compact version as I've experienced it and read of many who went from the full size 5" Government 1911 to a Commander size(or smaller) and experienced problems-mostly, it seems the slide likes to outrun the magazine. I didn't experience any problems with the compact USP and don't feel it's an issue with HK over the full size USP.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Rental guns are extremely hit and miss because you don't know the round count/maintenance schedule of the pistol. KK=1999 production, and I would guess that everything is original to that gun. The mag springs may be worn out, or the follower may be slowing down on the crap in the tube.

The USPc series do not suffer from the issues of going from a FS gun to a compact, they run just as well. Good luck with the new purchase, and let us know how it runs for you once you get it!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure that magazine never saw the first cleaning from anyone. No doubt inside the tube was covered in gunk and the springs probably as well. Imagine a 13 year old magazine that's never been cleaned...at least not more than a few times. You could scrape the carbon off the follower. I'm surprised it did as well as it did.

·
Registered
180 Posts
And the reality of it is that the grip angle between full size and compact, along with trigger pull, recoil, etc... they are mirrored in the different variants of the USPs. I can jump from the fullsize to the compact, as both are Variant 1, without a single hiccup. But I take better care of mine too ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't seen a side by side comparison of the two but in an article in the American Rifleman a few years back, they did have some good pics of the HK45. I looked fairly big to me in the photos. Of course, you'll never see one at the gun shows around here.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Rental guns are extremely hit and miss because you don't know the round count/maintenance schedule of the pistol. KK=1999 production, and I would guess that everything is original to that gun. The mag springs may be worn out, or the follower may be slowing down on the crap in the tube.
Yup! Rental guns are deceiving if you are looking to try a gun you want to purchase. I try to ask a friend with the gun i want or similar.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
If you liked shooting a rental gun, you'll love shooting one you own and maintain. Rental guns get rode hard and put away wet. They are rarely cleaned if ever......

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel relatively sure that was probably the same one I rented 2-3 years back and there's no telling how many rounds have been through it since then. Moreover, I seriously doubt it's been well maintained-just put back after the last guy that rented it. Well, when that new USP Compact 45 gets here it will receive loving care and attention. I clean mine when I return from the range. Just a habit I suppose as it was drilled into us in basic many moons ago about the importance of cleaning that M14. That was another sweet shooting and reliable rifle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts