1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in.gr -

Translated by google

Athens
"Directly to award 'goes to supply 112,370 rifles G36, of 5.56 mm, the German company H & K, which will replace the classic Greek Army G3. Under the interstate agreement, Greece has committed to 30 years of monopoly supply. The value of arms reaches 250 million.
As mentioned in the story of Young Monday, Defence Ministry was succeeded by the German Government a discount of 7% over the price of the company, increasing domestic value added of 38% to 40%, Greek participation from 60% to 62%, offset by 100% to 112% and payment schedule of doses up to 2015.

For selecting the two were rough international competitions. In the second, which ended in October, has submitted a final offer only the German H & K and all the other three were withdrawn before the closing date for submission of tenders.

The complex conditions had already led to three extensions, while the first international tender failed all weapons on hard tests and the current minister canceled the process.

According to the Ministry of Defense, before the opening and evaluation of single tender, appropriate "to fully safeguard the interests of the State" to investigate the possibility of concluding a bilateral agreement for this program with the following conditions: "a) increasing EAS participation in economic fundamentals and the PSC and b) reduction of the total price and increase the countervailing benefits compared to the offer already submitted as part of the international competition. "

The ministry also points to the high participation of TDC (formerly PYRKAL-EBO), the acquisition of knowledge, production rights and export rights rifle and productive work in the company for 14 years.

Government: In favorable conditions the agreement

Commenting on the issue, government spokesman Th.Rousopoulos citing information from the MoD, said that "after the announcement, showed interest in six suppliers from which three were finished and submitted a bid."

"To protect the public interest, the Greek side came in contact with the German public and held interstate agreement on terms more favorable than the offer of the last person. Under this agreement, the production of rifles will be held at Aigion EBO with advantageous terms. Therefore, the interests of the Greek government and defended the publicity of the competition followed. Let me remind you also that the intergovernmental agreement is a commitment of election programming SW for the procurement of weapons systems, "he said.

Asked if the intergovernmental agreement for the purchase of F-16 was equally attractive, the government spokesman referred to the relevant information made by Defence Minister in the House committee.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
That makes me mad!
Greece is in bankruptcy and still spends billions on the military.
Nothing wrong with the G3 and if anything, they should go to the HK416 which is with the M16 magazine even more NATO compliant.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
The tone they use when speaking of the trials brings back memories of the M9 trials here. Delays and a bunch of people dropping out!

·
Registered
414 Posts
This is a funny exchange of money. The only reason to beef up the military is to save themselves from the rioting masses. This is typical govt stuff, doesn't matter if you're broke, it's in the budget and you spend the money anyway.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
That article dates from 2005. Since then things may have stalled. I can't find any more recent information.

Anyone?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can't find anything definitive, but I believe this contract has been cancelled or frozen for the time being. The Greeks wanted to produce the G36 under license and there was disagreement over what percentage of the rifles would be produced in Greece. Then the debt crisis hit. Curiously, Greece is the 3rd largest importer of weapons, after China and India. They borrow money from the French & Germans, to buy more weapons from the French & Germans.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is a funny exchange of money. The only reason to beef up the military is to save themselves from the rioting masses. This is typical govt stuff, doesn't matter if you're broke, it's in the budget and you spend the money anyway.
"In God we trust, all others cash"

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Look at the bright side, maybe we'll start to see cut up Greek G3 and HK11A1 parts kits coming this way?
That was my first thought..

·
Registered
325 Posts
I can't find anything definitive, but I believe this contact has been cancelled or frozen for the time being. The Greeks wanted to produce the G36 under license and there was disagreement over what percentage of the rifles would be produced in Greece. Then the debt crisis hit. Curiously, Greece is the 3rd largest importer of weapons, after China and India. They borrow money from the French & Germans, to buy more weapons from the French & Germans.
I believe you are correct on this angrydog. Although I'm inclined to think the reason was due to the debt crisis rather than disagreements with HK over what parts would be produced by EAS, but I could be wrong. I have a contact in the Hellenic national police and I believe he mentioned the g36 is on hold or cancelled, but I will double check with him. My relatives who've completed their mandatory service recently have all trained on the Greek G3. Either way, they're in no position to acquire an entirely new weapon system. They are better off acquiring 416 uppers or whole rifles since many of their special operations and port security use the M4 family of weapons.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I believe you are correct on this angrydog. Although I'm inclined to think the reason was due to the debt crisis rather than disagreements with HK over what parts would be produced by EAS, but I could be wrong. I have a contact in the Hellenic national police and I believe he mentioned the g36 is on hold or cancelled, but I will double check with him. My relatives who've completed their mandatory service recently have all trained on the Greek G3. Either way, they're in no position to acquire an entirely new weapon system. They are better off acquiring 416 uppers or whole rifles since many of their special operations and port security use the M4 family of weapons.
Oreaopla, your sources are better than mine so you are likely correct. I found some more unconfirmed info on a Greek military forum. The local production issues had apparently been worked out, in the Greeks favor, but the funding had been pushed into the next 5 year budget (2010 ?) and then frozen due to the debt crisis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts