HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

My first post here. So I thought I'd post my admission. My name is Don and I'm an addict. An HK addict that is.

30 days ago I decided to buy my first hand gun at 49. I have not shot a gun since I was 15, but the way things are going out there I thought better to have one and not need it rather then need one and not have it. (Or be able to get one...)

So I bit the bullet (sorry for the pun) and went to On Target I'm St. Louis, MO. They were very helpful and friendly plus they also have a full 15 line firing range on premise so it seemed like a good place to go first.

Dan, the rep who helped me recommended a Beretta 92f. He made a very compelling case for the gun and I could see it was a quality machine. Then I spied an HK P 30L 9mm V3 DA/SA. It felt awesome, much better then the beretta (at least to my untrained hands.)

Ultimately though I bought the beretta as it was almost $300 cheaper then the HK.

That night the HK kept talking to me in my head LOL and I decided even though it was my first gun I wasn't going to settle. So the next day the beretta went back and I took home the P30L.

About a week later I went back to the range there to try out my new gun. I admit I was a bit nervous. I'd spent the week learning all I could about proper gun safety and range rules and handling the P30L a lot. Dry fire, racking the slide, field stripping, etc.

When I got to the range I loaded my first clip with Winchester Ranger LE 124 NATO rounds (I'd read on this forum how important it was to break these guns in with a hotter NATO round) racked the slide, then took aim at the target and pulled the trigger gently.

Bullseye! No freakin way I said to myself. Pulled the trigger a second time and punched a hole just outside the red! Clearly this gun was making me a MUCH better shot then I knew I was. LOL

Ater going through 100 rounds, my groupings were all over the place but still remarkably placed given my lack of skill.

I kept shaking my head thinking to myself, "ah so this is what an extra $300 buys. Borrowed skill" LOL!

Over the next 3 weeks I went back to the range 5 more times, shooting a different brand of ammo (all 115gr) each time I went. The P30L now has 600 rounds through it without a glitch. No FTF's, stove pipes, etc. it's fired flawlessly. It's an amazing shooter. Super balanced, more accurate then I'll ever be and the build quality is superb.

So then I started to think about getting my CCW, but the P30L is too big to conceal. I know some may do it but I am not a big enough guy to pull it off.

So I started looking at guns to CCW and found a Sig Sauer P938 Nightmare in 9mm. And bought it on impulse.

But didn't love it. See I had been thinking about the P2000sk... See where this is going? The little sig was passably accurate out to 5-7 yards but it really stung the snot out of my hand after about 20 rounds.

So the next day I ordered the HK p2000sk online from grabagun.com. Again in 9mm, V3 DA/SA. I wanted to keep as much the same between the two guns for familiarity and ammo stock.

It came yesterday and after a good cleaning last night I took the P2000sk to the range.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew it wouldn't shoot as well as my P 30L due to the smaller barrel.

Wrong.

It's very different for sure in the way the gun shoots, but its dead accurate once I dialed into "how" it was different.

Recoil - less mass in the gun means more energy transfer to your hand. It never hurt but it was a bit more snappy then the P30L. After 100 rounds, my hand did get tired. Something that just doesn't happen with the P30L. Though to be honest this may have been due to me holding the sk tighter to control the snap.

Shootability - The SK is a natural point and shoot gun. Easy to acquire the target and site with even with standard HK sites. Trigger is very smooth in both DA and SA. The first trigger pull is DA and it seems heavier the the P30L DA, but not a bad thing imhop for a cc gun.

Accuracy - What can I say. It's an HK. Dead accurate. I did have to make some adjustments of course. For example, I was shooting low at first then made a sighting adjustment mentally and groupings in the center of the target all day long.

HKs as I've learned (again I this forum) use a point of aim or "cover up" sighting. The P30L is a little more forgiving here. The SK in contrast is very sensitive to how and where you aim. It's a total cover up sighting. Do that and the gun puts the bullet exactly where you point. Easier to get wrong though because of the smaller site length. But man, like the P 30, it's a tack driver as they say.

Concealability - I don't know as I don't have a holster for it. Personally I think it's a bit too large for a comfortable conceal. Compared to my Sig P938 it's huge. Having said that, with the correct holster, even though its a double stack, I think you could pull it off with a minimum of fuss.

Build Quality - Outstanding. Lots of people bitch about HKs being to expensive or how they're great guns but not worth the extra money or how you're paying a premium for the HK name.

My response to those comments are "Clearly you just don't get it, and that's ok".

Yes they cost more - it's because they are the best hand guns made. You are paying for build quality, design, testing, accuracy and RELIABILITY. Of course you guys already know that.

Anyway, just wanted to thank all of you who've posted so much great info about these guns. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences. You all rock!

PS I am holding you all responsible for my new addiction... Do they have a 12 step plan...LOL!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Found your story very entertaining. I bought my first gun, USP full 9mm in September and have been going to the range non-stop (bought an annual membership). In fact, I loved it so much I bought a USP full .45 this month and I enjoy that one just as much (if not more). I had similar experience as you where when I shot the Hk before buying it, it always made me feel like a natural as compared to other ones I've tried because the groupings were just always better. I know other guns can or are just as accurate as the USPs I've shot, but when I was new to it all, it just did so much better for me. Anyways, you've been accustomed to a great brand here with just as great a community on this forum, as you will see. Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
25 Posts
My first H&K was a USP Expert .45! I loved it too. It now has a USPc .357 to keep it company.

Welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Congratulations! I'd like to suggest you get a gun belt if you ccw.
It makes a ton of difference. Even a cheap eBay belt is better than a heavy leather Harley Davidson belt i recently discovered.
My p2000sk hides well in a Uspc holster.even a full size usp 45 carriers much easier now.
Thanks for a great story! I hope to hear many more from ya!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Try the Garrett "Silent Thunder" if you're looking for an IWB appendix carry type (or AIWB to add to the confusion). My Sk likes the ride there. I did a similar choice last year in the P30LS in .40, & then got an SK as a concealed gun in the same caliber. What you said about accuracy & handling is completely true for me as well. These are wonderful weapons to shoot. Welcome from the Baked Apple!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts