HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to the forums, and a brand new owner of the Century C308 CETME clone. I know it's not exactly the same as an HK, but it is what I can afford, and what was available locally. I've wanted an HK91 type rifle since I got to rock & roll once with a G3 way back in 1983. :biggrin:
I just got the gun yesterday and haven't had a chance to even fire it. I read the manual and they recommend breaking-in the barrel by cleaning between every shot for the first 10 rounds, then after every 10 rounds until 200 rounds have been fired through the rifle.

Now, without opening up an old debate, this just sounds excessive to me for a rifle that is nowhere near a sub-moa match rifle. Back in the day, I built a lot of AR-15 type rifles and never broke-in any of them. I never broke-in any of my other rifles either. Shoot them, then clean them at the end of the day. IIRC, elaborate barrel break-ins was something only competition shooters did.

Is there something unusual about this particular gun that it NEEDS this particular break-in?

TIA,
Gearloose

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lots of views but no replies, and now I know why. I figured out the search feature and found a few old threads on breaking-in HK/CETME clones. Just shoot it and clean it, as was my original inclination. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Welcome.

I don't know much about your particular rifle. So bear that in mind. If the barrel is chrome lined, then shoot and forget. If it is not chrome lined, I suppose it is up to you. If you have a fluted chamber, get a good chamber brush and use it. Learn where to oil and grease.

I have HK, PTR, and home brew rifles. All of them run great. The HK tolerances are right on the money. The PTR's, pretty close but take a little work. The home brew just took a little more experimentation.

Enjoy your rifle. Get some ammo. Buy some mags. Shoot it. Shoot it some more. Turn a friend on to the roller lock.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
These post make me realize how bad I really am at cleaning my guns, much less the bores with any regularity.

I am with you, shoot it, clean it, put it away.

Darn, I have gun used this hunting season that I should run a patch through................

Enjoy your new acquisition. Oh, and welcome! @gearloose

·
Registered
402 Posts
Welcome! I remember all those shoot and clean break ins back from the 90s etc. I have several precision rifles and have never done that nonsense I just shoot them and clean them and they all are better then 1/4 MOA. I think its just a scam to wear out your barrel.

Enjoy your new toy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts