HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

My new HK Expert tore up my palm yesterday, I think an FN I fired Friday started the process because it grip was also rough. But, the HK Expert finished the job and opened it up.

I've googled grips and saw things like Talon but the Expert is thick for a small hand so I don't want to add any bulk.

I plan on using it for USPSA... are there other options to prevent it from constantly tearing into my hand like this?

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

HK-Expert.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
A Hogue rubber grip handall full size sleeve may do the trick for u without adding significant thickness. They're like $11.00-12.00 on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
The Hougue is OK if you want a softer and stickier grip. I liked the finger groove also. It will add some bulk to the grip especially in the middle. It was borderline too much for me and my hands are on the smaller side of medium.

I'd like to try the Talon since they seem fairly thin.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is a grip the way to go?

Has anyone modified the backstrap itself? I'm thinking the USP is not modular (it looks like maybe it could be but I can't quite tell)

Would it be impossible to have an HK Smith make the grip a bit more narrow and that backstrap a bit less aggressive? Or, is that considered a no-no.

I'm thinking maybe some kind of sports tape might work for my hand.

·
Registered
347 Posts
V1X3NV,

Take it from someone who has owned and shot the HK USP platform exclusively since January of 1994 –

The standard HK USP grip is simply atrocious and nearly unusable, at least in my opinion and experience. Hogue and Pachmayr slip-on grips will solve the problem, but at the expense of added thickness and girth.

The absolute best solution I have encountered is to get the “carry” texture from Enhanced Precision products. It is $180.00 + $20.00 return shipping for your frame. He completely eliminates the horrendous cheese-grater checkering on the front and back straps.

I think the HK USP platform is the finest handgun in the world, and the USP Expert arguably takes this to an even higher level with its longer slide/barrel and sight radius. You have chosen an exceptional handgun – no question. Consider the Enhanced Precision Products modification in the “carry” texture as an additional investment for an already superior platform, and you will never have to worry about gouging your hands again. It will completely change how you view and use this pistol.

Full review here: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/enhanced...oducts-carry-texture-h-k-usp.html#post1728382

·
Registered
125 Posts
No the grip isn't modular but I would bet a gunsmith could at least take some of the bite off the front and rear spikes. I personally wouldn't go with a $200 soldering iron stippling job. I don't like the looks of it but if you're OK with that YMMV. If I were going to invest that much money in my $800 USP I'd just sell it and buy something different. Much less having that sweet looking USP Expert modified. Having the grip heavily modified turns off a lot of potential buyers.

I did away with my Hogue and have actually been looking for something myself. The Talon grips seem thin and I believe they cover the grip spikes but I'm not crazy about adhesive tape. I believe I'll try to gradually sand a little bit off at a time and see how they feel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I asked about if people modify the grip, I'm curious about it. I appreciate the response and suggestion.

I'm just hesitant to go that far with a modification. Maybe the softening.

I'm going to experiment with sport tape I think. Then go from there.

It's me not the gun lol I have soft delicate hand hah

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
347 Posts
I personally wouldn't go with a $200 soldering iron stippling job. I don't like the looks of it but if you're OK with that YMMV. If I were going to invest that much money in my $800 USP I'd just sell it and buy something different.
Except for the critical fact that many users on this discussion board have tried alternative HK pistol platforms (P30/P30L, VP9/40, P2000, etc) including actually purchasing both platforms, and still voiced preference for the HK USP, except for the inferior ergonomics. Getting a modification like this solves the problem permanently. And the difference in the way it feels in the hands is simply phenomenal and must be experienced to be believed.

Having the grip heavily modified turns off a lot of potential buyers.
If it is a do-it-yourself job and of questionable workmanship, this is indeed true. However, I would submit a stippling job from a firm which specializes in the procedure will actually enhance the value of the weapon, especially if the purchase receipt can be provided should you choose to sell the pistol. Other firms which do excellent stippling work on H&K Pistols include Robar, Cold Bore Customs and 610 Precision.

The Talon grips seem thin and I believe they cover the grip spikes. . .
The Talon grips are indeed thin, and because of this are going to have minimal to no effect in terms of rectifying the noticeable discomfort of the grip spikes on the front and rear panels. This conundrum is integral to the problem – if you want something which will dull the aggressive grip checkering, it is going to have to be of a certain thickness, which itself will make the grip bulkier, decrease trigger reach, and increase the difficulty of one-handed manipulations. If you truly want to get the most out of an HK USP, I would respectfully submit that you need to bite the bullet (pun intended) and pony up for a professional grip retexturing. And I would say the very same applies to the FN Pistols (even more uncomfortable than the HK USP in my opinion,) and the Glock Generation 4.

You are going to get what you pay for in terms of the performance with a $200.00 professional stippling job vs a $8.00 Hogue slip-on grip or $15.00 Talon Grips. I’ve tried slip-on grips from Hogue, Pachmayr (both original and the Tactical Grip Gloves) and Uncle Mikes (also known as Butler Creek). I have done this song and dance since January 1994. I even used a razor blade to cut the palm swells out of the Hogue gripsleeve (and ruined about 5 of them before I had the process down.) None of these products provide the comfort and performance of the custom grip stippling.

It's me not the gun lol I have soft delicate hand hah
So do I – it’s called “office hands.” Which is why you convey that information to the workshop who does the grip re-stippling so they can pick out a package which is best for you! Best of luck with the project!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the thoroughness in your responses.

I do blame the FN for starting the process.

I ordered crossfit/gymnastic tape to try while I consider options and experiment. I like the idea of grip tape actually because it wont add width or modify the gun, especially as a temporary solution.

My carry gun is a p30sk. The Expert will be used for matches and match practice. It will have to share range time with p30, p30sk and a 1911 so i doubt it will have an issue with limited rounds. I shot maybe 300 rounds Saturday on top of another 200 or so the day before with the FN.

I'll look at stippling pictures and the vendors selected. I do appreciate the suggestion

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gloves man. Gloves. Some good Mechanix gloves are all you need

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I've been looking at gloves too... But not sure, man (I'm female lol.) I don't love gloves on my bike so thinking maybe not on my gun.

I'll let you know how the goat tape works because my plan tomorrow is just to tape my hand. Lol it's still going to hurt because it's a raw/open thing now.

Today...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed! I have a junk pair that I cut the fingers out except the middle and ring and I think it gives awesome control during rapid fire.
Ahhh maybe fingerless is the key. Something with palm texture.

I'll keep looking at gloves.

A friend told me since it's kind of a gun developed for military use/leo and they mostly wear gloves.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I might get flamed for this, but here goes. Bicycle tube! It's low profile, rubber, replaceable, customizable, and cheap. I have stubby fingers and don't like the bulk of the typical slip on grips. I needed something to keep my grip from chewing up my side while carrying in a holster. Just cut the length you need, wash it with soap and water to remove the powder residue, and slip it over the grip.

This also might get me flamed, but I recall when my USP was new many years ago, the back strap was quite sharp and would make my hand sore. After many years of use, the points aren't as sharp. A very, very light sanding of the back strap with some very fine sand paper or emery cloth could knock the sharp edges off and not affect the stipling or appearance.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I might get flamed for this, but here goes. Bicycle tube! It's low profile, rubber, replaceable, customizable, and cheap. I have stubby fingers and don't like the bulk of the typical slip on grips. I needed something to keep my grip from chewing up my side while carrying in a holster. Just cut the length you need, wash it with soap and water to remove the powder residue, and slip it over the grip.

This also might get me flamed, but I recall when my USP was new many years ago, the back strap was quite sharp and would make my hand sore. After many years of use, the points aren't as sharp. A very, very light sanding of the back strap with some very fine sand paper or emery cloth could knock the sharp edges off and not affect the stipling or appearance.
Give that man/woman a cigar!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd built up calluses. A weekend of matches will shred your fingers and palms. If you're also shooting an AR you'll burn your fingertips.

Anything rubber like an inner tube or a Hogue grip will turn to a slimy, slippery mess if you sweat all over it.

·
Needs Therapy
694 Posts
I think one of the things (and I did this when I started) was that because the grip is a good size, shooters may tend to grip the gun too tightly. An expert 9 has a very light recoil, and I imagine if you're running matches with ammo just meeting the minimum power level, it's probably even more manageable. I used to have very distinct backstrap USP marks on my palms, but after practicing with a less-tight grip, my shooting significantly improved in terms of speed and accuracy.

My wife has child like hands and she tends to death grip her Expert and she always gets the indentation that look like she smacked a porcupine.

My grip is more of a clapping type grip and much less beer can grip.

jmo

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haha my instructor pretty much told me to man up. Hah I noticed i was giving it a death grip and I was pulling the gun right (shoot left, but am right handed.) He had me loosen my grip and then I was back center mass... and it wasnt quite as bad.

At this point I'm going to use crossfit tape (rock and goat tape) just to give myself a little protection :)

I appreciate all the responses and advice!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts