HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have one of the MR556s barrels reprofiled and nitrided along with the parts that Grumpy had coated as well.

Since it gets drastically cheaper per part the larger the amount of parts going in together is. I was thinking about perhaps pulling a group together to make it easier and cheaper for the folks that may want this done but does not have enough parts to make it cost effective.

Thoughts??

·
Banned
879 Posts
My only warning is that any barrels shouldn't have more then 60 to 100 rounds through them prior to nitriding as there is some concern that the micro fissures that develop in a barrel from shooting might be made worse by nitriding.

Although some others have said "meh" in response to that and nitrided anyway.

I would personally err on the side of caution.

Edited to add:

Here's a good place to start if you have questions regarding FNC:

https://sites.google.com/site/freeballisticcalculator/black-nitride-melonite-and-qpq

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 3 MR556 and 1 DSA FAL barrel that need to go for treatment. I still gave to find some M27 bayonet lugs first though....

·
Banned
879 Posts
I have 3 MR556 and 1 DSA FAL barrel that need to go for treatment. I still gave to find some M27 bayonet lugs first though....
You get any of the barrels re-profiled?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not yet, still hoping to find the OEM M27 lugs first. I spoke with a LE sales rep at HK USA and they said that they (at HK) felt that those of non-military purposes had no need for the part, so it was not going to be released for sale to civilian/LEO individuals. I am not exaggerating, but let me get off topic for a moment.

I wanted to ask (but did not because it was a friend's contact at HK and that friend had passed his phone to me) what difference does that make? I will also not likely shoot anyone with my HK, so am I a fool for owning it? Another example of how they feel about us....must be a bunch of idiots over there.

That said, I have not profiled my barrel yet because I needed to determine if I wanted a 416N, M27, or M4 configured barrel. Sounds like its going to go M4, but then I will need some new gas blocks to make it look correct.

·
Banned
879 Posts
I got an update from hkparts.net that they had some 14.5/16.5 gas blocks in stock a couple of days ago. Might want to go check it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts