HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just unholstered my new P2000sk to put it back in the gun safe, and noticed that the hardware in my kydex holster had left a tiny (1 cm) scratch on the slide. The scratch is down to the silver, and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to "re-black" that scratch. I know it's a carry gun, and a tiny scratch may add character, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I don't want to see my new little beauty of an HK with a blemish.

Any solutions out there for a quick and dirty parkerizer patch job?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm a bit of a perfectionist also. I hate getting scratches on any of my firearms. It makes me want to cry. I have begun to realize that scratches and holster-wear is inevitable. My P2000sk in 40 has holster-wear all over the top and sides. I've thought about getting it Cerakoted, but just realized it would happen again. What I am saying is just embrace the scratch :)

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Go to your LGS and buy one of those blue pens made by Birchwood and Casey. It's about $6. It works wonder. Clean the area with alcohol and wipe it dry, then go over the area with the pen a few times, and then wipe it with water. Hopefully the scratch will disappear. I have a couple of nicks here and there and this pen makes them disappear instantly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Disregard All the other comments... It will forever eat away at you. The gun is useless now! Let me know when you want my ffl's info so I can take it off your hands! I'll even pay for shipping Remember... I'm here to help! ;-)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Bombtech you're a great friend :)

It's a tool not a toy budd ;-)

·
Registered
604 Posts
CCR has been good to me. My P229 is the baby of my collection, and the last gun I'd sell. I have multiple barrels for it and one slipped out of my hands while cleaning. When I go to the range I routinely bring both .40 and .357sig barrels and run ammo through both. Helps offset the price of Sig ammo. Anyway, the barrel slipped out of my hand from 1' distance and banged into my slide. Put a nick/ding in it and I was so pissed off at myself. After owning this one (My 2nd over the years) for 8 years with not a mark on it (and it's carried in the winter!) I made a boo-boo. Couldn't live with after a year so I sent it in to CCR to have them refinish it in Cera Hide House Black. Was worth every penny.

·
Registered
56 Posts
+1 These guns are made to work hard and play hard, and last longer than you'll live...If you want a purdy pistol that can't be scratched or worn, buy a Kimber and their crappy finish, put in a glass case and just stare at it.

My $.02...

·
Registered
231 Posts
+1 These guns are made to work hard and play hard, and last longer than you'll live...If you want a purdy pistol that can't be scratched or worn, buy a Kimber and their crappy finish, put in a glass case and just stare at it.

My $.02...

Carry gun for 6+ years and the finish is holding up better than most guns I see.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I put a small scratch on my SW1911SC(Melonite finish) and used some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black Metal Finish on it..does wonders.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Oh sh*t, I really feel this man. The first scratch is really hard to get over, but eventually it sort of becomes an integrated part of the firearm. But for me this takes really long for the first scratch - on a spanking new and expensive handgun. I couldn't sleep after the first scratch on my usp. I'll have to +1 on cold blue. Birchwood and casey perma blue cream worked for me, fortunately hk's he finish is just a flat, glossless blue on top of the super hard layer, so it could be restored with a touch up agent to almost its original state. Just be careful you don't apply it on the existing blue because it can be discolored a bit. I used a toothpick. Also, kydex is no good, especially ones with bolt heads sticking out from the inside. My kydex holster is from Ronnie Garrett, a silent thunder - lined with leather in the inside. Get one from Garrett industries, you'll adore it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Best way to get that scratch to go away or be less noticeable is going to be to attend a pistol class. Best to find one with a minimum round count of 1000 and a few hundred presentations from the holster.

Your bonding with the gun will be more than superficial after this.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Time will heal it... well not exactly. but you'll forget all about it once you get a lot of range time with it. Like the other members here have stated, it's a tool.. it's an HK.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts