HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a cheap .22 for my kids to shoot. I've noticed on some WTS posts that supposedly the first generation GSG-5 are better / preferred / more valuable, than the current ones. Yet, not one of the sellers can tell me why that is. Are they just looking to get a higher price, or is there really something about these first ones that made them better?

Thanks as always for the great info on this board!!

·
Registered
10,250 Posts
No, "they" are not. "They" often have clearing house sales on those pre-lawsuit GSGs at our local Dunhams... going for as little as $200 IF you spot the sale and get there in "Their" special sale window of 8am to 10am on a Sunday morning or some such nonsense.

A Ruger 10-22 is still a much better deal in my not so humble opinion.

·
Registered
10,250 Posts
Heh... you guys...

I much prefer this... from Top Shot TV show

even this ain't bad...

·
Registered
480 Posts
It is 10/22 with a archangel marauder kit. You can get them from blacksuntactical for about $180
Thanks for posting the picture shattered. I cannot seem to do it.

·
Registered
10,250 Posts
I simply took your image address that you posted and added a
behind it. Dat's HTML basic lingo, Mang... :biggrin:

You can look and see what I did by simply hitting my reply above and select "Reply With Quote". Everything I did will be laid right out in front of you. (with no misteaks)

·
Registered
10,250 Posts
Just remember... the address must be a valid address somewhere on the net. Either from something posted somewhere or hosted on your own account at a hosting service.

·
Registered
41 Posts
How do you tell the difference between pre ban and post ban, and is there any difference in value or durability/issues?
I bought one the other day from a private party and he told me it was a preban, but i am now thinking it is a post and that he lied to me.
Attached is a picture of mine below if you know wither its a first gen or a second gen please let me know.

thank you.

Turless.

001.JPG

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
How do you tell the difference between pre ban and post ban, and is there any difference in value or durability/issues?
I bought one the other day from a private party and he told me it was a preban, but i am now thinking it is a post and that he lied to me.
Attached is a picture of mine below if you know wither its a first gen or a second gen please let me know.

thank you.

Turless.

View attachment 11124
Post ban had a slight different top receiver, different lower grip, and open front sight. I think that's about it. Internals remained the same. I think the Walther made MP5-22 is a better gun. Mainly because of the internals.

I have a video comparing the two:

GSG-5 vs. Umarex MP5 - YouTube

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Have two 10/22s and they are great little guns.. went with 16 inch Clerke fluted stainless barrels, BC side folder stocks, Volquartsen trigger packs, exact edge extractors and red dots. They fit pretty nicely in most backpacks and of course the barrels are easy to R & R with just an Allen wrench. 10/22s can be stock to wild, your choice

Next .22 LR I want is the Kalashnikov approved German made AK. Pre-recent-madness CDNN had them for $300

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a GSG5 and love it. Bought it when they came out and SBR'ed it. I also like the 10-22 which is why I have two as well. The GSG is fun to shoot so if you buy it just based on looks it is still a fun gun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
took a better pic of mine so we could see the front. anyone able to help tell me if it s preban or a after ban gsg?

thanks

Turless

gsg5.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
The grip and lower are different on the newer models. The older ones have a
smooth grip and lower like the MP5 Navy style. The newer ones added texture-little round dots and there is also a rail integrated into the upper.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Turless,

You have a pre-suit GSG-5. H&K sued German Sport Guns as well as the importer American Tactical because the gun so closely resembled their MP5. The settled suit agreement was that remaining stock of guns on dealer shelves could be sold but all newly manufactured guns had to modify certain parts. Namely the front sight hood, which could no longer be closed at the top, the pistol grip detail, etc, so it would look different enough to satisfy HK. That, plus HK was coming out at the time with their own version of a .22 MP5. Both the GSG-5 and the HK-made MP5 .22's are fun, reliable plinkers. I'm not sure about the HK guns, but the GSG-5's will accept the original 9mm MP5 fixed stock and forend with only minor trimming of the gun's rear pushpin hole, and genuine MP5 pushpins can easily replace the threaded screws of the standard GSG. Makes for a slightly heavier, more solid feeling gun. I've added a poor cellphone photo of my modified GSG.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts