HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am hearing a lot about the GSG -5. It looks really nice, but I have concerns
about the reciever. I have heard it is plastic, or aluminum alloy. I only prefer the stamped steel reciever because of the strength factor. Does anyone have any info on this? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

God Bless!

Ariovistus

"We did what we had to do. If necessary, we will do it again."

President Reagan after the US attack on Libya 1986.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm curious too. I already have one on order, so it's not a deal breaker for me. Just curious though...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I havn't handeled one first hand, however I have been on the phone with someone who had one in their hands.

The receiver is NOT plastic.... he said it appears to be "pot metal"

·
Registered
217 Posts
what's "Pot metal"? Zinc Alloy? With a 22LR, the receiver does not need to be hardened steel, but I wish they would use something at least looks good. Ruger 10/22 at least uses steel receiver.

·
Registered
99 Posts
what's "Pot metal"? Zinc Alloy? With a 22LR, the receiver does not need to be hardened steel, but I wish they would use something at least looks good. Ruger 10/22 at least uses steel receiver.

Actually, the 10/22 uses an aluminum receiver IIRC. Volquartsen offered a steel 10/22 receiver though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If It's aluminum, or a plastic shell with metal/aluminum innner sleeving alike some handguns it'll be ok.
IF it's pot metal, stay away. That stuff is brittle and weaker than anything. Like chinese cheap metal.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Arh, that's right, I was thinking of my Remington 597 actually, it has a steel receiver. I would agree that aluminum should be enough. Pot metal would be too porous and brittle.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
THe reports on P22 and Sig Mosquito are true. I've had a Walther P22 and the slide peened almost immediately, and eventually the slidestop was so deformed that it would not catch. I finally sold it. They really should have redesigned the P22 metal. It's Zinc alloy, and could not wear very well against steel parts in the gun. The should've made it polymer with steel inserts. The Sig Mosquito was a similar, but apparently wears better over time. Dont' get the Walther P22. It's not worth the Walther name.

I htink GSG5 is better, or at least I hope to be the case.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
I doubt german engineering would allow cheap metals to be used. Everything made in germany is top notch.
I've met several Germans who were made in Germany. And I wouldn't give you 10 cents for the bunch of'em.

:D

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Hey now Retro, There's no need for that!!

"Ich war geboren in Deutschland und ich weiß, dass ich wert mehr als 10 von Ihnen bin! Es gibt keinen Grund für jene Art der Scheiße! "

beachtungen,

robert

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Quote Robert...

"I was born in Germany and I know that I am worth more than 10 of you! There is no reason for that kind of the ****! " attentions,"

Really...

Ich war nicht dort geboren, aber Vorfahren kamen aus Österreich.

Gratz, exactly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Walther has always made very fine weapons. I collected Walther PPs & PPKs for quite some time before I was struck by the H&K bug (more expensive & cheaper to make). It is rare to find a German (east or west) made product that is so poorly designed and engineered as the P22. Well.....maybe the east German Trabant car is an exception that comes to mind. Even though I am of neutral Norseman stock, I do enjoy most of the excellent quality, expensive & well engineered products that the peace loving little black forest elves make...lol.

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Ah, Meine Familie ist von Baveria, aber ich habe einige Verwandten in Worgl (sp?). Ein klein Stadt iss Österreich.

Retro - That was meant to be tongue in cheek, however I wouldn't think it would be smart to bad talk Germans on a German gun website!!!

regards,

r.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
51fan

Mein Onkel ging nach Österreich, bevor er weg überschritt und Fotographien meiner Vorfahren nach Hause in Gratz nahm. Ich zweifele, daß ich überhaupt die Wahrscheinlichkeit erhalte zu besuchen.

Toodles...

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Hey...

¿Desee intentar Griego? No entiendo ningún otro idioma extranjero, de modo que todo fuera Griego a mí.

So there.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Hey, everybody, just calm down a minute. I was purely joking. I have a few very good friends and co-workers who are German born or first generation Americans. There is no need to take anything personal. And as for that one guy who is 10 of me... try eating salads for a while.

:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts