HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the retaining clip on the captive recoil spring assembly fail for a second time. This time the recoil buffer bushing was sent to parts unknown. I have a pm into customer service asking for an entire new assembly.

Does anyone have experience with prolonged use without the bushing? I have put 150 rounds throught it in one practice session and an IDPA match.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've heard that the clip is really only there for when you dissassemble the pistol to keep the springs from coming apart. What cal. do you have and whats your date code? I have a 45 KI and a 9mm KG and have never had a problem with my clip breaking (probably +/- 1000 rounds through each)

The clips might be from a bad run of metal, or something is causing it to slam forward really hard?? I tried about a year ago to order the complete 45 recoil group for spare parts. I placed the order but it never came out of backorder.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have several HK's, the clip never came off. Since this is your 2nd time, what is it that you're doing to get them off? :confused:

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The clip that holds the spring is unimportant functionally - it's only purpose is to keep the spring captive upon disassembly, BUT . . .That WASN'T his question guys. . .

". . .This time the recoil buffer bushing was sent to parts unknown. . . Does anyone have experience with prolonged use without the bushing?"

You're probably not going to find too many people on here who have experience with prolonged use of a USP Compact or a P2000 without the recoil buffer bushing in place. I would say to replace the buffer ASAP to protect your frame from the slide/recoil assy. . . also, if you reload, maybe I would use the minimum amount of powder charge in the meantime. If you do not reload, I would say NOT to use +P, or +P+, or even any offerings from DoubleTap Ammo, or any other ammo known to be "hot" loads.

Personally, I would not fire the gun without the bushing. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ORFEO,
Thanks for the vote. I will see what HK customer services has to say/ship and probably not shoot before I have a resolution. It is my edc though.

As far as this appearing to be a rare occurance, and my two times seeming like much, all I can say is that when I did a forum search here in February when this happened the first time, there were a number of posts with the same issue. I am not saying it is overly common, but not unheard of either. A C clip of that size is more than a little difficult to reinstall, especially as you compress a recoil spring as you do so. I had to gently use a vice grip to hold the spring back as I installed it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard that the clip is really only there for when you dissassemble the pistol to keep the springs from coming apart. What cal. do you have and whats your date code? I have a 45 KI and a 9mm KG and have never had a problem with my clip breaking (probably +/- 1000 rounds through each)

The clips might be from a bad run of metal, or something is causing it to slam forward really hard?? I tried about a year ago to order the complete 45 recoil group for spare parts. I placed the order but it never came out of backorder.
Mine is a KI coded 40c. I have put around 5000 rounds through it and I got it used with no known round count.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:

I just talked to Jeff at HK customer service. They are going to replace the entire assembly, but I need to send the remaining parts to them first. It kind of scares me to disable my USP and leave it that way waiting on customer service. But here goes...

By the way, orfeo, you are correct, HK also does not recommend firing the gun with the bushing missing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
UPDATE:

I just talked to Jeff at HK customer service. They are going to replace the entire assembly, but I need to send the remaining parts to them first. It kind of scares me to disable my USP and leave it that way waiting on customer service. But here goes...

By the way, orfeo, you are correct, HK also does not recommend firing the gun with the bushing missing.
Unfortunately not a note of joke here, I just lost the same c-clip on my .40 Expert today, I have no hint where it went; pure vanishment! So Pete, would you lend a helping hand and either share Jeff's number or the proper procedure for sending my spring assembly in? I cannot stomach the thought of waiting with my HK "out of order" thanks so much.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately not a note of joke here, I just lost the same c-clip on my .40 Expert today, I have no hint where it went; pure vanishment! So Pete, would you lend a helping hand and either share Jeff's number or the proper procedure for sending my spring assembly in? I cannot stomach the thought of waiting with my HK "out of order" thanks so much.
Turbocruiser,
You can reach customer service at the phone or address below:

Heckler & Koch Inc
7661 Commerce Ln
Trussville, AL 35173
800-821-3021
205-655-7078 fax

You can ask for Jeff, or just ask for civilian technical service. You may want to ask them about firing the weapon without the clip, if you can reassemble the expert without the clip, you should be good to fire. The only reason mine is out of service is the bushing which you shouldn't have. I can tell you that if they send you a new clip, ask for a couple, and be prepared for a difficult install, it is tiny and has alot of tension to overcome.

Post here with your resolution to keep us informed, as will I when HK gets my assembly back.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
. . . A C clip of that size is more than a little difficult to reinstall, especially as you compress a recoil spring as you do so. I had to gently use a vice grip to hold the spring back as I installed it.
Just a tip in case you ever have to mess with the recoil spring again:
The clip does not have to be removed to get the recoil spring on and off.
The recoil spring can be removed by "unscrewing" it right over the clip, just like you would remove a key from a keyring. . . goes back on the same way too. You could have put the clip on first (thereby avoiding the necessity of overcoming the compressed spring tension while installing the clip), and then installed the spring without too much fuss. :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
With the fullsize guns, you don't have to worry about not having a clip to retain the recoil spring. Unlike the compacts, it doesn't use a plastic buffer. The secondary spring is still retained. First generation USP9/40 didn't have captive springs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks fellas, I just left a little message for Jeff and will update as soon as possible. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to help me here. Fondly, TC.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a tip in case you ever have to mess with the recoil spring again:
The clip does not have to be removed to get the recoil spring on and off.
The recoil spring can be removed by "unscrewing" it right over the clip, just like you would remove a key from a keyring. . . goes back on the same way too. You could have put the clip on first (thereby avoiding the necessity of overcoming the compressed spring tension while installing the clip), and then installed the spring without too much fuss. :)

Great info. Just spoke with HK, they recieved my pieces, but weren't able to tell me when they were shipping my replacement. Everyone left for the holiday weekend. Bummer.

G

·
With the fullsize guns, you don't have to worry about not having a clip to retain the recoil spring. Unlike the compacts, it doesn't use a plastic buffer. The secondary spring is still retained. First generation USP9/40 didn't have captive springs.

could one replace the plastic buffer with a metal one off the bat to increase reliability? or is there some kind of dimensional difference that would prevent it

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
could one replace the plastic buffer with a metal one off the bat to increase reliability? or is there some kind of dimensional difference that would prevent it
There are no reliability issues with the plastic buffer (technically I think it may be nylon). You would definitely not want it to be metal since that would defeat it's purpose, which is to keep the metal recoil assy from beating up the plastic frame. If the buffer were metal, it would not protect the frame since it would be just as unforgiving as the recoil assy. . . :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks fellas, I just left a little message for Jeff and will update as soon as possible. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to help me here. Fondly, TC.
WOW! As an update, I received a return call from Jeff within hours of my voice mail message, he is sending some replacement c-clips and he also gave great guidance on how to handle this throughout the future. I'm very impressed to say the least. Many thanks to the folks who helped here and another vote for an excellent customer experience with HK!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
You know, I could swear I had an early USP9 that didn't have a captured spring and that little clip- and the inside front of the slide was milled out for the spring to sit in?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOW! As an update, I received a return call from Jeff within hours of my voice mail message, he is sending some replacement c-clips and he also gave great guidance on how to handle this throughout the future. I'm very impressed to say the least. Many thanks to the folks who helped here and another vote for an excellent customer experience with HK!!!
What were his tips?

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,955 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts here...

Yes, Jeff is a great representative for HK customer service. He may be short handed, but he is sincere and ethical and does his dang best to make everyone happy. It is people like him that go to great lengths to negate the notion that HK service is lousy.

As for the bushing, it is nylon. From my initial reading, it is designed to last tens of thousands of rounds before replacement is necessary. I think the actual number is 40,000. With that in mind, there really is no reason to break down the assembly until the wear cycle is hit. But the assembly is apart and the question is 'can the weapon be operated without the bushing?'. I'll hedge my answer!

Since the bushing is designed to reduce the perceived recoil in a modified Browning design... not using it for a bit should not be an issue. The weapon is very robust and should be designed to operate for at least a period with that part failure. I wouldn't operate it continuously for 10,000 rounds in that set up, but a week shouldn't be a big deal (except for your wrist!).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts