HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like buying used HK's is just as good as buying them brand new as opposed to buying less expensive and lower quality firearms. But I'm always worried what did the owner before me do to this gun, for example I had a freind that wanted to shoot my P2k and ran a clip of his own reloaded cast lead through it, 13 rounds not a big deal but I was kinda worried. Then theres that video on youtube of a guy smashing his P2000 with the bucket of a backhoe... Maybe it's my OCD. Seems to be HK's have few problems and if any they are well known and common such as the old firing pins in USP's and dirty ejectors not ejecting rounds.

Have you brought a used HK that is problematic or became problematic? This is kind of a extension of my other thread in which you guys gave me solid advice about building a spare parts kit. TIA.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Most of my H&K's were bought gently used. I like to get a good look at them to spot any mis-use etc., they have all been clean and well taken care of though, so Im fortunate and have had zero issues. The most recent was actually bought NIB $650/free shipping on the USP Compact 9mm, first HK was a used full size USP .40sw with 159 rounds on it for $650, that also looked new. Just use your common sence, and know what to look for...usually scrapes/gouges on the frame to me is an indication of abuse on an other wise piece that looks fairly clean to new. Dont confuse that with a nice carry piece thats seen a few miles, but is well maintained and has some minor cosmetic issues and blue gently removed by some honest carry. My main shooter is a KF date coded USP .45 that was very clean, and was told 800 rounds at most, he did polish the hood of the barrel just enough to remove the blue, but other wise well maintained ... I hard chromed the top end of that one, put Meprolight orange/green nights/Decal Grip, its really my favorite USP! Never any issues with it either. =)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And he did this AFTER you told him not to, and he's no longer your friend... right?

I didn't say the exact words "Don't shoot cast lead". It was a day at the range in which him and his father was teaching me how to shoot rifles and we had couple handguns out. Well I had a few boxes of ammo that I told him to use and I guess range/shooting etiquette is not to use someone elses ammo so he used his own. They don't own any HK's so I don't think he was aware of the Polygonal rifling in the HK, all there Glocks had Lone Wolf barrels that could shoot cast lead so obviously they knew of the dangers of shooting cast lead through polygonal rifling.

Hoppes took the lead right out. This was all in the first month of me owning my first HK, so I was still scared to even shoot +p ammo through it. I must have called HK customer service once a week and asked if I could shoot +p ammo. Lol. So I was still in the babying stage of owning the P2k.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of my H&K's were bought gently used. I like to get a good look at them to spot any mis-use etc., they have all been clean and well taken care of though, so Im fortunate and have had zero issues. The most recent was actually bought NIB $650/free shipping on the USP Compact 9mm, first HK was a used full size USP .40sw with 159 rounds on it for $650, that also looked new. Just use your common sence, and know what to look for...usually scrapes/gouges on the frame to me is an indication of abuse on an other wise piece that looks fairly clean to new. Dont confuse that with a nice carry piece thats seen a few miles, but is well maintained and has some minor cosmetic issues and blue gently removed by some honest carry. My main shooter is a KF date coded USP .45 that was very clean, and was told 800 rounds at most, he did polish the hood of the barrel just enough to remove the blue, but other wise well maintained ... I hard chromed the top end of that one, put Meprolight orange/green nights/Decal Grip, its really my favorite USP! Never any issues with it either. =)
Thanks Kost. Good to see you on the boards, haven't seen you for a while.

Yea I don't think mine was shot alot. The barrel doesn't have any wear on the locking block or the muzzle. There are also no appearent marks and def no chips on the polymer frame. One of these days I want to learn how to remove the ejector and clean it, it seems to be that is a common problem in all used firearms. Do you think getting a cotton swab/rag in there with a dental pick is good enough to clean it out?

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Drive the extractor roll pin out from the inside with slide off just enough to free the extractor(dont drive it all the way out), keep your finger on it as its under spring pressure. Clean the race/spring/extractor well, put the spring/extractor back in place and carefully drive the roll pin back into place with the slide laying on the bench.(Top up)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drive the extractor roll pin out from the inside with slide off just enough to free the extractor(dont drive it all the way out), keep your finger on it as its under spring pressure. Clean the race/spring/extractor well, put the spring/extractor back in place and carefully drive the roll pin back into place.
What size punch do you use?

·
Registered
31 Posts
If somebody smashed it with a backhoe it will probably be pretty obvious on the finish although it would probably still work just fine. You could always buy one with a newer date code to avoid getting the old style firing pin ect. or you could just replace it yourself with a new one. Not a bad idea to take out the extractor and clean all the gunk out in there on a used gun either, not that hard to do.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,395 Posts
I've purchased plenty of HKs used and they have all worked very well! P2000's, USP's and a P7M8. Truth is that most people see their gun as an investment and don't want to trash it, they want to take care of it. They give it up because they either need the money, wife said too many or want to make room for something else.

That's only been my experience though.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've purchased plenty of HKs used and they have all worked very well! P2000's, USP's and a P7M8. Truth is that most people see their gun as an investment and don't want to trash it, they want to take care of it. They give it up because they either need the money, wife said too many or want to make room for something else.

That's only been my experience though.
Agree. Also I have seen guys come into gun shops trying to sell Glocks that they have messed up really bad and sales associates not taking them. So I have faith in my LGS because if it's beat up and is damaged they wont take it. Hell I seen a guy turned away because he bought in a dirty Glock to sell.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,395 Posts
Well dirty because he shot the crap out of it, or because he dragged behind his truck down a muddy road trying to simulate "combat?"

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Used police pistols are the definition of "carried much, shot little." I have no fears buying them although my HKs were purchased new or "less than 200 rounds" (don't they all?) from another non-policeman shooter. My P7PSP was, of course, police surplus as is my M92G which passes for new.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are a couple of retail gun stores in my area that have a reasonable supply of used HK's but they never know what they will get. When I stop by to look I can say the HK's almost always look better cosmetically than the used Glock's, etc. I just assume because of the price tag the owners are more likely to baby them than abuse them.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HK's almost always look better cosmetically than the used Glock's.
Hmm, I always thought Glocks cleaned up better than HK's. I don't know if the Tenifer finsih is better than the H.E. finish but that Tenifer finish can take a beating and still look new.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm sure most of the used Glocks they get in are police trade-ins with varying use but they are still being handled/holstered every day.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've only purchased one used HK and that was USP 40. I used as a range gun but then after awile I sold it to help fund my HK45c addiction. I thought what the hell I already have a HK USP(f) 45 (SS) that I will never sell. If I was to purchase another HK USP it would be another 45 and 12 round magazines lots of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts