HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I typically use Hoppes 9 for cleaning my guns – creature of habit. I’m guessing there's probably something better out there and I am definitely interested in what works best for you. After I do the initial scrub of the slide and other metal parts with Hoppe’s, I like to use one of the spray cans of a 'Gun Scrubber' type solvent to clear all the loose lead, fouling and dirt. The brand I usually use is Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber, but there are other brands out there. Then I go back and do another once over of Hoppe's, wipe that down and finish with a light oil.

Does anyone know of a 'Gun Scrubber' type solvent (pressurized in a spray can) that is safe to use on polymer and plastic parts? The can strongly warns against using it on plastics and wood.

And, for that matter, is Hoppe's 9 the best thing to be using on plastics & polymer, or is there a better choice for that too?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I use Breakfree CLP on a general field strip/clean.

If I want to clean all the little internals then I do a complete disassembly and clean each part by itself. First I spray them with gunscrubber, but afterwards I give them a light coat, a drop spread by a finger, of CLP. My issue with most of the scrubbers is that while they work great, they remove any and all particles and liquids on the parts. Basically they strip the lubrication right off the parts, and if you're talking internals getting lubrication back in there without a disassembly is not a sure thing. That's my only caution

To my knowledge Gun Scrubber is not as caustic as true brake cleaner and should be safe for polymer. Might be worth calling and asking the company though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use this

Birchwood Casey: Maintenance Details

It is easily available at most big name stores and doesn't cost much. Make sure the one you buy has "Synthetic Safe". The normal Gun Scrubber will eat plastic. I've seen stocks and frames damaged by it. I like to use this to clean and then I add my favorite oil for lubrication.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have used diluted simple green on my frames. Works good, but I use hoppes bore solvent and a good oil for the internals and grease for the rails. If I had to pick ONE thing to do it all, I would go with CLP.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I use hot water, hand dish detergent, brushes and heavy neoprene gloves to clean all my guns.. and then use compressed air to blow them dry. The residual heat on each part finishes the drying and then I use a thin wipe of synthetic motor oil to protect metals

Cheap, effective and even if all gun products were banned I have to alter nothing in my procedures

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is also Gun Scrubber "Synthetic Safe" formula which I believe is aimed toward usage with polymer framed/stock pistols and rifles. I used Gun Scrubber for some time, but ultimately stopped applying to my firearms. As TunnelRat mentioned, Gun Scrubber is fairly abrasive and is essentially brake cleaner under a different label. It really strips away all of the oils and other lubricants and dries out the firearm. While I truly believe it wouldn't create an issue for your HK as they are so well made and utterly reliable, that's generally a no-no.

I have been using Ballistol as a solvent for awhile now and have been very pleased with the results. It absolutely eats away all of the carbon and powder residue and leaves a protective lubricant/film on the parts that have been cleaned with it. I use it on all of firearms now. Besides that I use a drop of FP-10 and/or Slip2000 as a traditional oil for the rails and some of the other small parts.

Here is a link to Ballistol on Midway's website:
Sportsman's Gun Oil 6oz Aerosol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pro Shot markets a polymer/synthetic safe cleaner caller "Fouling Blaster" part number D-13 and Birchwood Casey has a synthetic safe gun scrubber part number 33340.
I use either of the above (depending on availability) on my P-30 with no ill effects.

·
Registered
13 Posts
BTW. Love ballistol. Carbon just wipes off after using it on the gun few times.... I hate the smell.
Agreed, I didn't like the smell at first either. It's definitely different, but I've grown accustomed to it now. Not nearly as sweet smelling as G96 Treatment or some of the other old school solvents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts