HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked but could not find. Will Gun Scrubber clean a new P30? To remove all the factory lubes. Plus which bore brush to use. Brass or is there something else to use? Gathering info for when I buy my new P30.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Gun Scrubber is just a way overpriced can of carb cleaner, both are solvent products. Go to WALMART and you can buy it for a couple bucks a can, vs. 5 or 6 bucks for gun scrubber.

as for brushes, get the standard run of the mill 9mm bronze bore brush. the brush is just used to break up the residue in the bore, so you don't need to overdo or go 'hog wild" the use of it. Just a couple of passes through the bore is all that is needed, and then use a series of wet and dry patches to clean it, until there is no more dirty patches

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Gunscrubber and carb cleaner are not the same thing. The carb cleaner contains more solvent and will eat the paint out of the lettering on the frames. It's also very flamable.
Gunscrubber used to be made of Tricholorithane 3,3,3 and was a non-flamable solvent. I used to clean electric motors in it by dipping them while they were running.
Tric is no longer available (EPA).
I don't know what the new stuff is made of because it's $9 a can here and I use a LOT of it.
Now I buy CRC Electronics cleaner in bulk from the hardware store. Comes to about $4 a can, works just like Tric, leaves no residue and evaporates in an instant.
Check it out.

There is no such thing as a "P30 bore brush". Just use whatever you always have. If you are new to guns(!) plane jane old $1.89 bronze brushes in the appropriate caliber work just fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been using Break Free Powder Blast. It runs around $4.50 a can at Wally World. I think it works better than the gun scruber. It's all I use to clean out my M16 after about 500 rounds of 22 from the Ceiner kit. I just tilt the upper and spray the crud out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't use regular Gun Scrubber, it can harm the polymer frame. I use their Synthetic Safe version Gun Scrubber® Synthetic Safe Cleaner and use it sparingly to remove the residue from a regular cleaner like Hoppes Elite Foam or Milcomm MC-25.

I use Bore Scrubber to clean the barrel. Birchwood Casey stuff works good, I also like the Milcomm stuff for cleaning and lubrication. My USP-45 tac and P-30 seems to like it too :)

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
It turned it white because it dried out the surface. It's a killer degreaser. Hit it with a small amount of oil and it will return to normal again.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My $0.02 - I have been using and like the spritz sprays from MilComm, Mpro and Hoppes Elite. They work well, spray and let the parts sit for about 5 minutes and cleaning is a breeze. They also don't have the harsh smell some others do, you can use them inside without stinking up the house.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't use regular Gun Scrubber, it can harm the polymer frame. I use their Synthetic Safe version Gun Scrubber® Synthetic Safe Cleaner and use it sparingly to remove the residue from a regular cleaner like Hoppes Elite Foam or Milcomm MC-25.

I use Bore Scrubber to clean the barrel. Birchwood Casey stuff works good, I also like the Milcomm stuff for cleaning and lubrication. My USP-45 tac and P-30 seems to like it too :)
That's what I needed to know on the frame. For the barrel looks like it does not matter on bore brush. Gun scrubber I've used as a guick clean. But the stuff I have is the older kind. Which I can still use on my 92Fand Colt .45.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts