HKPRO Forums banner

GUN Show Buy, H&K 770

9K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Kingfish01 
#1 ·
This Sunday, I found and purchase a H&K 770 in .308 win, at a very reasonable price. In fifteen years, this was the first H&K 770 that I have seen in a gun show. I currently have a H&K 300 and 630. This H&K 770 was one of the first to be imported, it has no muzzle flash hider. It was a little rough, but cleaned up very well. The bluing on the barrel was good, but the bluing on the receiver action cover was worn off from being carried. I removed the cover, degreased, heated and touched it up with Van's Instant bluing. It now looks good for a 30 year old rifle, this will eventually be hot blued. The buffer was cracked and beginning to break up. I replace it with a new one. Stock has a number of handling dings. Major fault is someone wiped a dark polyurethane finish over the factory finish and did a poor job. Stock needs to be striped and refinished. Yesterday, I milled inserts for the action cover holes and a scope mount base for it. It is now ready for a scope. I will post pictures later.

See my pervious post http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-gun-talk/308505-hk-630-scope-mount.html.

#8 ·
An extra buffer would be the only requirement other than an extra mag or two. I was lucky and purchase five or six buffers years ago for $30.00. I have one or two extra buffers for all of my semi-autos, including my H&K 300.

#10 ·
Here are some quick pictures of my new old H&K 770, .308 Win. Minus safety lever and sling studs. Receiver cover was touched up with Van's Instant blue, Scope base was milled (50% complete, front 2" still have to milled off and cross slots add the base, then aluminum black applied). Stock initially looked as if it was dragged behind a truck. It was steamed until 95% of the dings and gouges were removed. During the steaming wood was buffed with 0000 steal wool too remove remaining finish from wood pours. Stock still requires some sanding with 800 grit sand paper. No sealer or finish has been applied to the wood. Numerous coats of stock oil and thinned polyurethane will be added.

Wood Shotgun

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

#12 ·
Nice job on the "restoration" - it looks like it will be well done once finished.

I'm curious to hear what you think when you shoot it. I lusted after one for several years because I collect .308 semi-autos (mainly military style). In addition to wanting it because of it's caliber, I also knew it would go well with the HK 300 I own.

Anyhow, found a really clean one for a fair price. Put on an 05 mount and nice scope and just couldn't get the thing to shoot like I thought it should. I tried several types of ammunition but to no avail. The other thing I didn't like was the recoil impulse. Anyhow, I kept it around for another year and decided to sell it. Still love my HK 300 though and wouldn't sell it for anything.

#17 · (Edited)
I fired this 770 Sunday with handloads, sierra 165gn HPBT bullet and 48 grains of IMR 4350. This is a mid range load just picked out of a reloading manual. I mounted a Leuy VX-2 3-9 power scope and zero it with 10 factory loads of unknown manufacture. Weather was less than desirable, 28 degrees and very windy in northern WI. As to my shooting ability, I'm 67 years old with failing eye sight. Half of this group was shot with glasses and the other half with out glasses. I've always shot without glasses and can't get use to shooting with them even though I need to.

This target, shot at 100 yards is a 2" c um, with 15 rounds shot at it!

Organism Plant

As with my H&K 630 it shot get. Considering the conditions, a mid range load just picked out of a book and my shooting abilities; I was very pleased with the group.

#18 · (Edited)
I think you did just fine. Nice shooting! I know what you mean about age and eyesight. I'm 56 and it's depressing how the eyes(and other things :) don't work like they used to. You shot very well. I see you're in northern WI. Windy doesn't describe last Sunday! The HK sporters are an amazing hunting platform.

#24 ·
Seems to me he complimented the rifle even though it wasn't practical for him. Not really seeing the negative aspect or why its being made into an issue...

Either way, that was some nice shooting, it reminds me I need to find a good scope and mount for my SL-7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.