HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the writer, Sweeney, having to take a swipe at previous HKs the write up was glowing. Best HK pistol to come out of Germany and so on... No mention of pricing and he niggled the panel/strap retention (roll pin requires a hammer and punch), but otherwise it was love at first shot. The article is worth reading if you have the chance. Sounds like the ergos and lack of recoil are a big plus on the P30. He also mentioned a .40 version somewhere down the line. Might have to pick up a P30 to play with after all. I'll probably wait a bit to see where the pricing stabilizes. Until then me and my USPf9 will continue to play at the range.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
this is coming from the same mag that published a article where the author stated he thought the military would go with the M&P. I admit I have never handled one I am sure they are a fine firearm and all but just from his own article I could find 3 reasons why it won't be getting them a military contract.

1) He said it requires some kind of tool located in the handle to take the weapon apart. What if it gets lost? Too complicated not at all soldier proof.

2) No double strike capability. Do you know how much training a soldier gets with a pistol. Give you a hint the ones that carry them get approx. 50 rounds a year. this does depend on job tough MPs and SFS and so on get to shoot it a little bit more. Again too complicated.

3)The adjustable backstraps, plus only capable of ten rounds. Again too complicated and other companies are going to turn in more simple models with more rounds.

My point is I go through G&A magazine kinda like I do the funny papers. it is good for a laugh but I don't consider most of the authors very professional, or knowledgable. Just throwing out a bunch of garbage they don't know much about and my example was just one of several.

But I do like that he actually had something positive to say about HK this time. Guess his editor figured he better or else they may not get to test another.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not a fan of gun rags for factual, objective information. I like the pictures:D

There are a few gun writers out there I can't stand (Charlie Cutshaw is one of 'em...he could f##k up a crowbar).

BUT, Patrick Sweeney, Zak Smith, David Fortier, John Taffin (as long as he sticks to revolvers), Massad Ayoob, and Peter Kokalis are, IMO, the best of their breed.

G&A determines the content of their article. They are one of the worst when it comes to "selling" the featured pistol (shooting times, IMO is a close second).

·
Registered
25 Posts
All of the gun rags are full of themselves. After you trim the fat off, you will find there is no meat. You will find however that the article you just read is accompanied in the mag with a full page add, or two, from the manufacturer they just wrote about. Can you say payolla?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
1) He said it requires some kind of tool located in the handle to take the weapon apart. What if it gets lost? Too complicated not at all soldier proof....
I thought this comment was rediculous as well. He states he would rather have a tool to disassmeble the P30 and then also states "the slide lock doesn't come all the way off, if it doesn't come all the way out, you can't lose it." What did he think was going to happen to this "tool" then?

He also says he didn't like the fact that you need a punch and hammer to remove the backstrap retention pin, and in the same breath says "although the pin is the more secure method". Geez make up your mind! Mind you he pretensed all this nonsense with "I did manage to find one thing to be grumpy about", thats a pretty small thing to be grumpy about in my opinion.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I thought this comment was rediculous as well. He states he would rather have a tool to disassmeble the P30 and then also states "the slide lock doesn't come all the way off, if it doesn't come all the way out, you can't lose it." What did he think was going to happen to this "tool" then?

He also says he didn't like the fact that you need a punch and hammer to remove the backstrap retention pin, and in the same breath says "although the pin is the more secure method". Geez make up your mind! Mind you he pretensed all this nonsense with "I did manage to find one thing to be grumpy about", thats a pretty small thing to be grumpy about in my opinion.
Yeah, like I said, I think most of them are like the funny papers on Sunday morning.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I saw the article and mag as well. I wouldn't buy it though, even if they did write up an HK, because they're a bunch of weenies. My money goes in the pockets of those who put out American Handgunner and American COP mags, Roy Huntington and Dave Douglas' crew are hard to beat. Larry Vickers, of 1911 fame and former SF operator, wrote up the HK 45 not too long ago for AHG.

·
Registered
36 Posts
1) He said it requires some kind of tool located in the handle to take the weapon apart. What if it gets lost? Too complicated not at all soldier proof.

3)The adjustable backstraps, plus only capable of ten rounds. Again too complicated and other companies are going to turn in more simple models with more rounds.
I could be wrong...since i'm a "noob" here, but:

1. As I understand it...a tool is only required to change out the backstraps.

3. I thought it was available with 15 round mags....per the HK site...will it only be 10 in the US?

I'm excited about this gun, despite the high price.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The tool is what locks the M&P backstrap in place and is not required for dis-assembly. The pinky finger works just fine! It's very simple pistol to take apart.

The M&P45 was built to meet military requirements, so 10 rounds is plenty!

It could win a contract or two, as could the HK45! Keep in mind price plays a HUGE factor for military contracts!

3. I thought it was available with 15 round mags....per the HK site...will it only be 10 in the US?
10 or 15 depending on which state You live in!

sfguard was talking about the M&P45, not the P30!
_______
mugdava

1 - 11 of 11 Posts