HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up an HK4 in .22LR caliber. Seems to be in very good condition. I replaced the recoil spring and buffer with new ones from Numrich. Took it to the range, and it would not feed either the Federal standard velocity ammo nor the Remington high velocity ammo I had. Pistol only came with one mag, but the lips and spring seem to be in great condition.

Any ideas/suggestions as to who I could send the pistol to who will have some familiarity working on this type of pistol?

TIA,
Jeff

·
2,832 Posts
keep trying different HV ammo....they are ment for HV 22 only. Stingers, CCI HV etc

HK wont touch the HK4 anymore,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do - would you happen to know of any sources for magazines, since that is usually the problem with pistols not feeding reliably?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yo can usually find magazines on Gunbroker but the .22lr ones are usually commanding a rather high price. Keep trying diff ammo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shortened recoil spring on hk4 .22 to allow it to cycle federal value pack ammo

I recently picked up an HK4 in .22LR caliber. Seems to be in very good condition. I replaced the recoil spring and buffer with new ones from Numrich. Took it to the range, and it would not feed either the Federal standard velocity ammo nor the Remington high velocity ammo I had. Pistol only came with one mag, but the lips and spring seem to be in great condition.

Any ideas/suggestions as to who I could send the pistol to who will have some familiarity working on this type of pistol?

TIA,
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

I'm not a gunsmith but i I have tinkered with a few different things to address the problems you have mentioned above. I have a hk4 in .22 and initially I couldn't get the thing to fire any type of ammo consistently (even the high/hyper velocity stuff). In Australia .22 ammo is getting expensive Cci stingers are about 22-25c per shot, the federal value packs or the Remington bucket of bullets are about half that. I wanted my hk4 .22 to cycle the cheap stuff!
Short answer - I polished the feed ramp on the chamber with fine emery paper and shortened the recoil spring in increments of about 1/4 inch until it cycled the federal and Remington ammo. The shortened length that I am now operating means the spring sits about 1/2 inch past the end of the barrel when it is removed from the slide and in the natural uncompressed position.
It will now reliably cycle stingers, Winchester superspeed, Remington bucket o bullets, federal value pack and RWS High velocity. It won't work too well with Remington yellow jackets (I think the truncated hollow point projectile shape interferes with feeding) or Winchester powers points, I'm not certain why?.
I am new here and not certain yet how to load a photo but will try and load a photo showing the length of the recoil spring in its current and shortened form.
I have put approx 2 boxes of federal value pack (~1000rnds) and 500 stingers thru since making the modifications and the buffer seems to be holding up ok with no issues and a feed reliability rate of about 95%. I was concerned that by shortening the recoil spring the higher recoiling Cci stingers would be too hard on the buffer and cause it to shift or wear prematurely. We will have to wait and see how long it lasts.
Great forum here and hope my 2 cents helps you. Thanks . Rob

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,460 Posts
I see you just joined, but you have replied to a thread that is from 2007. Not sure how helpful your comments are to the original poster, but we do appreciate your feedback.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts