HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
H&K • P2000SK Vs. USP Compact

OK
Anyone here have both the USP Compact and the P2000SK?

I am looking at getting one or the other for CCW in 9 mm
The USP Compact is a little narrowed than the P2000Sk and not much lighter at all.
I am a small guy with small hands.
Got to get my paws around a the P2000SK and it felt very nice (I wish they had a little bigger finger extension) but I have not mauled the USP Compact yet.

Anyone who has both?
Let me please know the pros and cons of each from a CCW standpoint.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Re: H&K • P2000SK Vs. USP Compact

Have you ruled out the P2000 for CCW? I have the compact, .40 and .45, and both are great but the P2000 just feels so much better and points better for me. My hands are not large but I found the SK to be just too cramped at the extension area for much shooting pleasure. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts

If you are looking for a 9mm for CCW, the P7M8 is the best... bar none!

·
Registered
823 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
OK
Anyone here have both the USP Compact and the P2000SK?

I am looking at getting one or the other for CCW in 9 mm
The USP Compact is a little narrowed than the P2000Sk and not much lighter at all.
I am a small guy with small hands.
Got to get my paws around a the P2000SK and it felt very nice (I wish they had a little bigger finger extension) but I have not mauled the USP Compact yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have both and the P2000sk is much more adaptable to concealed carry for smaller people, if you can find a good holster. Especially in the summer. I love both and carry the P2000SK most now. However, I have found in extended shooting sessions with it, the trigger guard will rub the inside of my middle finger by the knuckle. Usually takes about 200 rounds before it becomes really irritated, but this wouldn't be a problem for carry. It does have a small grip. Gotta say, the P2000Sk trigger is by far the BEST DA trigger, out of the box I've used. You can shoot VERY fast with it w/practice and the gun is accurate as they get for a 2.4" barrel.

For tactical pistol courses and extended stuff I carry the USPc. Excellent shooter also. What I really like, is I can use the USPc mags in the P2000Sk. Both excellent guns, buy both! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you're wishing for a "bigger" finger extension, and like the feel and/or trigger, get the P2000. It'll take all standard mounting flashlights/laser also, like the P2000SK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks Joe!
Im gonna go molest and feel up the USPC and the P2000 a little I guess.

Also...
Whoever said P7M8..
Do you have one?
I do, they are beautiful BUT they are big and heavy! Not good for CCW unless you always wear a suit or are LE. As I said I have small hands.

·
Registered
7 Posts

i owned a P2000 V2, and traded it in for a USPc 9mm. i personally like the SA/DA trigger over the LEM trigger. i have always liked having a safety on my gun, i feel like i can turn off the gun. i dont like how the P2000 is always cocked and ready to fire, (feel the springs are always under tension and will be worn out quicker), the gun is a "better made Glock". you have to get used to the trigger, unlike the SA/DA system. and for those that say the P2000 is safer cause of the trigger (being harder and longer to pull), i just carry my USPc with the hammer down, and if i had to shoot, would use a DA pull. but the P2000 is the better looking gun, and its not a bad gun, i liked the feel of my old P2000, i felt i could point better with it, but i just liked the safety, decocker, and SA/DA trigger, but thats me. just dont get a beretta, or glock for carry! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
114 Posts

most weapons are safe.....as long as you keep your finger off the trigger....however I cannot disagree with anyone that likes added safety,,,personally I don't want any extra steps when I need to stop the bad guy! P2000SK is thebest weapon ever made(here comes the heat)!!!

G

·

Hello all,

I am a sub/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifnewbie in that I don't yet own a firearm, but I will probably buy a USPC9, unless a P2000SK9 with trigger system like USP version 1 (safety and decock) hits the market.

I quote from http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/handguns/p2000sub.html
"For shooters that prefer a conventional double-action/single-action pistol, a special DA/SA variant is planned with a decock button mounted on the rear of the frame."

I can't understand if it will also have a safety lever, or will "decock" act as "safe" (though it is not the same thing, safe means you can't pull the trigger at all).

I notice that most new handguns (like the glocks mentioned in a previous post) are DAO. Is this the wave of the future? Has SA become "conventional"? I think SA is much better both for safety and for aiming reasons.

·
Registered
43 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Joe!
Im gonna go molest and feel up the USPC and the P2000 a little I guess.

Also...
Whoever said P7M8..
Do you have one?
I do, they are beautiful BUT they are big and heavy! Not good for CCW unless you always wear a suit or are LE. As I said I have small hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

um... why yes I do have a P7M8, it is slimmer than the P2000 or USPc and trimmer, no safety or levers to poke or push into the flesh. Being 2 mm shorter, only 1 mm taller and 5mm slimmer... no way are they bigger! They are heavier with the metal frame, but weight is easier to handle with a good CCW rig than bulk. The P7M8 has a better trigger and is safer, IMHO. IMHO, if you want a 9mm CCW, the P7M8 is the best.

Regards,

·
Registered
1 Posts

How does the size compare between the P2000SK and the USPc in .40? I have a USPc in .40 and have been thinking on and off of switching to it for my carry pistol (I currently carry a Sig P239 .40).

I was going to have the USPc converted to LEM and have night sites added. But then I was thinking maybe I should get a P2000SK. I have not found a P2000SK locally to play with.

So what's the size and weight difference?

G

·

Finally, I got the USPc 9mm ver 1 and I am already in love with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Althouh P2000SK is seducingliy smaller, it is DAO. For me, the hard trigger pull of DA together with a 1 inch shorter barrel, made my targeting jittery especially beyond 20 yards. Although the shorter barrel, I would definitely have bought the more concealable P2000SK if it had a SA option.

I really can't understand this DAO trend, flipping the safety lever is really very easy and can become like second nature after very little practice. And just how often would a gun with a round in the chamber fall down hammer-first?

·
Needs Therapy
689 Posts

The LEM trigger is more a safety thing/one draw fire motion. To add a step like flipping the safety lever is one step more than some people or some agencies (which I suspect is the driving force) want.

I'm ok with the LEM trigger and it's short reset. I do prefer DA/SA though.

·
Registered
70 Posts

[ QUOTE ]

Whoever said P7M8..
Do you have one?
I do, they are beautiful BUT they are big and heavy! Not good for CCW unless you always wear a suit or are LE.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Be very careful what you say about the P7 LOL. It has an extremely sick cult like band of fanatics who very well may lynch you if you suggest for even a second that the P7 has even a single draw back. I know a guy that had to go into hiding cause he said they were ugly.

I collect HKs so having a P7 is on the menu. But for a 13 shot compact 9mm... the Compact 9 is too much value to walk away from when compared to the P7. Of course the next argument that follows is that the P7 is the most accurate gun on the planet. The USPc 9mm will hit the target. If you make enemies out of a bunch of bees or something else really small and fast then you may need a more accurate gun.

Now as compared to the P2000. Get the USPc. That's just my preference... My real advise is play with both and find the one that fits you. As far as any argument on the "extra step" of dealing with the control lever... How lazy can you be? (That was a joke guys... please take it as such) You can very easily train deactivate the safety lever from the draw. It becomes one fluid motion to presenting the gun. Thinking of it in individual steps is not quite accurate. I would hate the USP all together is I had to draw it... then mess with the lever... then point it. With very little practice you can work with the control lever in an almost subconscious state. I had a buddy who sold his only USP cause he kept decocking it or putting the safety on while firing. I have no idea what the hell his thumb was doing but it was doing something stupid. He opted for a Beretta Elite and is now out shooting me at matches. So get the gun you like the best.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

I was recently faced with a similar decision. Here is what swayed me....May or may not be of consequence to you but I'll offer it anyway.

I initially was planning to get a .40 S&W, but after shooting several different brands of pistols I found myself shooting the .45 round more accurately. I initially thought the .40 S&W would be less recoil, but I found that it is nearly the same recoil and a bit sharper as compared to the .45. (Both the USP and P2000 felt grea in my hands.)

So........

1. No P2000 in .45 (I asked H&K if they would offer the P2000 in .45 anytime soon and they didn't respond)

2. P2000 is DA only and I like the DA/SA feature of the USP.

Which is why I decided on the USP .45c and I think I made a well thought out decision.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a P2000, 40 cal, and is DA/SA with its decocker. Love it. I prefer the DA/SA to LEM coming from the revolver world (have 3).

·
Registered
1 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I have a P2000, 40 cal, and is DA/SA with its decocker. Love it. I prefer the DA/SA to LEM coming from the revolver world (have 3).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I also have the Version 3 P2000 and I think it's a fantastic gun. I too prefer the DA/SA.

My concern with the P2000SK is the very short barrel. You are giving up a good deal of velocity and therefore penetration and reliable expansion with that barrel on almost any round.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Are there any " Structual " Differences between a compact and a P2000 that enhance durability, reliability, ETC ??

It seems only Size and trigger type are the differences.

·
Registered
5 Posts

today i got to look at the P2000sk. very comfortable in my hand. too bad payday is a week away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
49 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My concern with the P2000SK is the very short barrel. You are giving up a good deal of velocity and therefore penetration and reliable expansion with that barrel on almost any round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not understand the P2kSK. It is not small and it has a short barrel for its size. Why not just get a Kahr and you would have a pocket sized pistol with a longer barrel? Someone who owns one, please set me straight.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I bought the .40 P2000 for my wife and .45 USPc for myself.... she nails freakin' bulls with that .40! But I love my .45(it's sitting in an IWB on me right now) and I am never without it anymore.... owned it a month and fired 3,000 rounds through it with awesome performance and never a malfunction.....

you can't go wrong either way.... for me the .45 is my baby and the protector of my wife and 4 babies as well!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts