HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
H&K .22 cal G3 conversion kit.

I ordered one of the surplus .22 conversion kits from Dan's Ammo a couple of months ago. I was very curious about these and spent a long time considering it so I thought I would share my observations here.

The kit lives in this very sturdy, beautifully overbuilt, case and contains two mags, barrel insert, Carrier / bolt, .30 cal cleaning kit, German instructions and some rope patches. Upon opening it I could see it was in great shape. While the outside of the case had seen some stacking and restacking since it was manufactured in Jan of 1974 the interior was nicely joined and immaculate. The phosphate on the parts was dark and perfect and it was as clean as a whistle. Not a speck of grease or carbon on any of the parts. There were only the slightest indications of wear on the bolt, barrel face and mag feed ramps.

The barrel insert is shaped to fit right into the G3 trunion where the bolt head would normally lock. A pair of extractors on the bolt line up and interface with two grooves in the barrel face. The bolt itself looks like a straight blowback affair that is engineered to operate in the G3 receiver space. Beautiful workmanship all around. The carrier itself does not move during cycling like a regular G3. The only time it moves is when you use the charging handle to strip the first round or are trying to lock the action open ( More on that later ). During firing and feeding only the bolt itself is moving back to reset the hammer and strip a fresh round.

The steel mags are 20 rounders and are quite substantial owing to the extra guts of the 20 round .22 mag inside it . The paint on the mag is light gray. And while it is not exactly GunKote, it looks like it will have long service life.

My German is non existent so I could not use the manual that was included. I just winged it by oiling the kit parts and easing that barrel liner down the hatch. Once you get it started you can feel what a close tolerance is held between the bore and the insert. Make sure the flat part of the barrel insert at the breech is facing up at the top of the receiver. It needs to be in this position to enter the trunion. I did have to compress a lock ring at the chamber end of the insert end to get the breech of the barrel insert past the end of the receiver. After it was in half way in I slid in the Carrier / bolt. it seems useful to do this before completely inserting the barrel insert. To insure proper alignment of the barrel and bolt face, move the bolt/carrier forward in the receiver until the extractors mate with the two grooves on the barrel face. This will insure that the barrel insert is as top dead center as it needs to be. Once the bolt/carrier is seated against the barrel push the whole thing forward to seat the barrel in the trunion. After you put the buttstock on, just letting it close under spring force should get everything properly seated.

The breech area should look like this.

The insert almost clears ( but not quite ) the end of the barrel.

Because this not the commercial HK91 conversion kit the Bolt/carrier is missing an extension on the back of the carrier to stop over travel when using the charging handle. This kit is for the select fire G3 and is designed for a unmodified S, E, F trigger pack. My trigger pack has been modified to semi so when pulling the charging handle all the way back the carrier rides to far and gets stuck. Presumably on the top of the hammer. To get it to return forward I had to pull the bolt back and drop the trigger housing. This issue can be avoided by not pulling the charging handle all that way back to the notch. Stopping just a half inch forward of the notch seemed to avoid the whole problem. But because I often let others shoot my guns I wanted to make it more fool proof. I had heard that you could put a bit of hose around the base of the recoil rod on the butt stock as a carrier spacer to stop any over travel during charging. After a couple of cuts and reassembly I had the length right.

The bolt cannot be locked open ( unless you cut a new shorter notch in the cocking tube ) with this hose in place. I should say that if you did not use this mod and locked the bolt back. You would have to drop the trigger pack every time to unstick it. The hose is a small price to pay. Put a chamber flag in it to hold it open for range use.

I only had a chance put a few mags through it so far but they ran great. CCI minimags seem to run the best in semis for me so I always start with them. I first loaded 10 to see what was what. The conversion fed an fired flawlessly. So I loaded up 40 rounds and let them fly. It was like eating a York Peppermint Patty. "I get the sensation of being on a cold wintry mountain." It happened to be lunch break at a pistol course I was RSO'ing a couple of the shooters gave it a try too. Neither had ever fired a G3 before so they had nothing to compare it too. No York Peppermint Patty for them. Of course there is no sensation of recoil whatsoever. Zipping through 20 round mags was a plinker's dream. I do look forward to taking it to the 50 yard bench to see what it can do. However good that is I can tell I will be happy with it.

The .22 converted G3 is definitely fun to shoot, a great conversation piece and one of the biggest .22's on the line for sure. If you have an HK 91 or JLD PTR 91 that you're not shooting because ammo is too expensive, this unit will pay for itself quick.

Caveat; The barrel insert and by extension this kit may not be compatible with pollygonally rifled HK barrels. I was using it in a FMP Interport receiver built on a Portuguese FMP G3 kit. I have heard PTR owners reporting good function. CIA guns may or may not run right because of Century build issues.

Now.... where can I get some more of these 20 round mags!

JR

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nice write up. Yeah extra mags, if you can find them let me know also. Did you run into the issue with the stock heavy trigger pull?

By this I mean putting so many rounds down range in so little time that you literally cannot pull the trigger? ;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Nice writeup on a neat kit. I like mine. In fact, I rarely shoot 308 anymore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice write up. Yeah extra mags, if you can find them let me know also. Did you run into the issue with the stock heavy trigger pull?

By this I mean putting so many rounds down range in so little time that you literally cannot pull the trigger? ;)
Yeah I have that problem. It's the biggest .22 LR mag unloader available.

JR

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Nice writeup and a great rifle. That kit is some of the best money one can spend on the 91/G3.

Yes, if you can find spare mags you can expect to pay ~$100 for them.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Great write up, thank you. I have been told these kits don't do very well with the PTRs, due to either chamber or barrel tolerances. Anyone tried them in a PTR with success?

Also, what, if any, is the impact on the barrel? Any possibility of damage?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Mine runs like a Swiss watch in my PTR. Seems to like CCI minimags the best too. Great write-up and sweet G3!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great write up....can't wait to run one in my PTR once my Sear clears

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
if you find a place to get more mags or parts please let me know
I put one in a hk51k and 51 run great .....lot of fun..
also nice G3 ...

Man, you missed out. Someone, at the SAR East show had a box of 40 or so of the spare mags at a great price. I didn't see it myself or I'd be telling you first hand about a great score I made... but somebody did, or rather a bunch of somebodies. My understanding was they sold in dribs and drabs... no one guy grabbed the lot, or so I heard.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What should I expect to pay should I want one of these conversion kits?

~David

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Anyone ordered one of the G3 kits from Sportsman's Guide? Just curious what condition they are in. I hate to spend $500+ to get a unit that may have seen a lot of wear.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Yep, Dan had the lowest price... and he's been out of them for a couple months now.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Ya, I can't see these having seen too much use and .22 does not wear the bore very much unless there is a lot of use.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts