HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I was reading through the threads a few days ago, and I noticed a coupld of people putting their Walther handguns in the same class as their H&K's.

I'm in the market for a few new weapons, hopefully a USP40 and USP45. Anyway, I've always had a thing for Walthers, aesthetically. But a while back I held a P99 compact and it fit in my hand much better than the P2000sk. I was a bit upste about that, since I'm an HK fan at heart, but is the Walther a good alternative? Do they make quality firearms?

Granted I know few guns out there will be as reliable as an H&K, but how does the Walther stack up?

(can I even ask this since it's about another brand?)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Walther builds excellent handguns IMO.

But the P99s and USPs are different enough, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Nothing wrong with having a Corvette and a Ferrari in your garage.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have both a Walther P99c QA and a P2000SK V.3, both in 9mm. While these guns are very similar in size, quality and overall feel, I've grown to really appreciate the HK more than the Walther. I'm not knocking the Walther, it's a very nice gun, but in the many rounds I've put down both of these guns, the HK has proven the more consistant and reliable.

Both are easy to shoot well, both take down easily, both have triggerguard mag releases, both have push button decockers...there's a lot of features these guns have in common. Personally the HK is just a bit more my style, or fits better...I don't know. They almost are able to use the same holsters, they are that close.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My Walther P99c QA in 9mm has been 100% reliable. Finding holsters has been a challenge. I have one that is a Glock 17 holster that fits like a glove.

I am also in the market for a P2000SK in 357 Sig. I look at it as a step up, but it's simply a panache thing.
I'm also looking for my first 45 ACP. but haven't decided on one yet. I shot a Glock 36 and liked the way it shot, but I realy don't like the mag release and having to tug the mag out.

You might look at the new Walther PPS, which replaces the PPK. Slender and the reviews from buyers have been good.

Anyone else think the H&K P30 looks a lot like the Walther P99?

·
Registered
123 Posts
My only experience with Walther was shooting somebody else's P22. It was, without a doubt, the most unreliable pistol I've ever shot.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Walther's are very nice pistols.

I really like the trigger on the P99 and PPS.

I cant say whether or not HK or Walther is better than the other. I've never encountered any problems with either. The grips on the P99 are really comfy too. More so than the USP, but less than the P30's Spiderman jobbies.

As someone else mentioned, if you want something a little smaller, the PPS is an exceptional pistol. As a CCW, it would be my first choice right now. Being in WI however, CCW are useless, but it is a very nice compact none the less.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
just give in :) appreciate walthers, sigs and HK's, its like having a blonde, brunette and redhead.... why not?

·
Registered
206 Posts
my 2 favorite handguns right now are the P30 and Walther P99 A/S. In my opinion you can't go wrong with Walther P99's.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
My only experience with Walther was shooting somebody else's P22. It was, without a doubt, the most unreliable pistol I've ever shot.
Older or newer P22? Older P22's had mag problems. New mags end in a -A and work much better. The P22 is VERY ammo pickey and you must try different rounds to see what works best. Remington Gold Bullets in both regular and high velocity work great in my gun, as well as the more expensive CCI mini mags. Everyone says their Walther P22 shoots the CCI the best, but the price is what makes me search for cheaper rounds. My gun hates Federal Bulk pack and will FTF and fail to return to batery at least once every other clip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. Thanks for the response everyone.

Trust me, I wish I could hold the P2000sk with a firm grip (my pinky has nowhere to go, so I end up having only my middle and ring finger on the grip, which bothers me a LOT), but since I can't I have to look at other weapons, and the Walther is the only one that I seem to be able to get a decent grip on and that aesthitically pleases me at the same time.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey everyone.

I was reading through the threads a few days ago, and I noticed a coupld of people putting their Walther handguns in the same class as their H&K's.

I'm in the market for a few new weapons, hopefully a USP40 and USP45. Anyway, I've always had a thing for Walthers, aesthetically. But a while back I held a P99 compact and it fit in my hand much better than the P2000sk. I was a bit upste about that, since I'm an HK fan at heart, but is the Walther a good alternative? Do they make quality firearms?

Granted I know few guns out there will be as reliable as an H&K, but how does the Walther stack up?

(can I even ask this since it's about another brand?)
I had a P99 in .40 cal. It was a good gun no complaints really just that the H&K uspc is a better all around gun IMO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the response everyone.

Trust me, I wish I could hold the P2000sk with a firm grip (my pinky has nowhere to go, so I end up having only my middle and ring finger on the grip, which bothers me a LOT), but since I can't I have to look at other weapons, and the Walther is the only one that I seem to be able to get a decent grip on and that aesthitically pleases me at the same time.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.
If you have larger hands but still want the barrel and frame dimensions of a p2ksk over a standard p2k you can always buy USPc 12rnd mags w/ x-grip extenders. Some people don't seem to like the x-grips too much but I just got my 3 w/ 12rnd USPc mags and they absolutely swim in my hands. The stock mags with extended floor plates actually fit my hand perfectly. The 9rnd mags with flush floor plates leave my pinky swinging free. I'm only about 5'10" and the pistol conceals easily with either floor plate on 9rnd mags. A larger person should easily be able to conceal a p2sk with the 12rnd mags. Also, the gun looks funny being taller in the grip than long in the slide! Hopefully tomorrow I can get out and do some shooting to test the guns balance using all 3 mag types. EDIT: Was out today and ran my 6 new mags through twice each with no problems! Love those 12rnd USPc mags! Wish I had so much .40 sittin' around that I never had to worry about how much I could afford to shoot. At the Crossroads show today I did see factory new .40 packed loose for $179/1k...almost jumped on it but just couldn't commit. I'll probably be sorry when my last round goes down range...down to my last 400 or so.

I absolutely love my P22! Mine came with the matching laser sight. So far it has eaten Thunderbolts and the Federals (American Eagle boxed Federal also) without fail (very weak ammo but hey it's as low as $5 for a 400rnd brick). My 10/22 stovepipes the Federal repeatedly but the P22 eats them up. My one complaint while using them is that the pistol ejects them right up and they hit me in the top of the head! It ejects the Thunderbolts high right. Would love to figure out how to lower its ejection trajectory in general. It is date coded AG ( I made sure to get one made after 2004) EDIT: It also has the Cologne proof symbol with a L13xxxx SN. The way I understand it the feeding and ejection bugs were worked out by the time the 2003s were made. I Haven't experience any of those kinds of problems so far with about 1000 rounds through it to date. I have, however, noticed that whatever metal the slides are made from seems to be wearing a bit much at the slide lock. Time will tell how this effects the gun in the years to come.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I am still exploring what types of ammo my P22 likes. I have heard that some P22s do eject brass onto the shooter, but mine only does this rarely. The slides on the P22 contain some Zinc, which is a very soft metal. This was done to keep the P22 light but it also accounts for alot of wear. There is usually alot of visable wear in the slide but I have seen these guns with thousands of rounds through them and they still shoot.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I would like to pick up a Walther P99 sometime. I'm sure they are good pistols. James Bond uses one! Not that means anything Jack Bauer uses an HK! LOL

·
Registered
123 Posts
Older or newer P22? Older P22's had mag problems. New mags end in a -A and work much better. The P22 is VERY ammo pickey and you must try different rounds to see what works best. Remington Gold Bullets in both regular and high velocity work great in my gun, as well as the more expensive CCI mini mags. Everyone says their Walther P22 shoots the CCI the best, but the price is what makes me search for cheaper rounds. My gun hates Federal Bulk pack and will FTF and fail to return to batery at least once every other clip.
No sure if it was the older model. To me, the only reason for owning a .22 is cheap plinking fun. If it doesn't work with cheap bulk ammo, it's pretty much useless to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have always liked the P99 design - ever since it came out, I wanted one. Finally found one at a range rental - grabbed it. I was totally disappointed. It shot all over the place - no consistency. Could've been the range gun, not likely me in this case (and I'll be the first to fess up if it is likely me - usually is!). So, I sadly gave it back after shooting a couple of boxes through it.

This one was a 40 cal - maybe a nine shoots better, not sure what you're looking for though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The p99 AS has a sweet trigger. Much better than any HK, and really second only to 1911's in autopistols. It has an extremely short reset and is very smooth.

For 9mm, I think the P99 beats the P2000 or USPc. The P99 doesn't handle .40 very well though and has pretty sharp recoil for a .40. I would pick a P2000 or USPc over it in .40.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Bingo!!

just give in :) appreciate walthers, sigs, 1911s, M&Ps, Steyrs, Glocks and HK's, its like having a blonde, brunette and redhead... (choose your ethnicity and/or nationality and culture) why not?
ABSOLUTELY!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The p99 AS has a sweet trigger. Much better than any HK, and really second only to 1911's in autopistols. It has an extremely short reset and is very smooth.

For 9mm, I think the P99 beats the P2000 or USPc. The P99 doesn't handle .40 very well though and has pretty sharp recoil for a .40. I would pick a P2000 or USPc over it in .40.
I just wish the P2000sk fit my hand. I'd be all over it like white on rice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts