HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just want to know your opinion about the advantages of using a genuine German made H&K barrel compared with a Rim Country hammer forged, nitride barrel? Is German really better than U.S.?

·
Banned
599 Posts
a german hk barrel will cost you many times more then a usa made ones ,you will not find a "virgin" hk barrel period. most usa made parts are a product of reverse engineering and that comes with a learningcurve and there are some benefits of using usa made parts ,think 922 partscount

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Get a sear and say "goodbye" to parts count. :wink:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Have been wondering this myself. Have a demilled MP5 parts kit, but have been contemplating putting in a new RCM 1/2x28 threaded Navy barrel. Any pros/cons of a used HK than a new RCM?

·
Banned
599 Posts
I wish I had the money ,iam just not wealthy , all the funds available are being relocated now to renovate housse my girlfriend bought

·
Banned
599 Posts
I would use the hk barrel if you have it and its in good shape but for me personal something is only "original" when it comes of the belt so to speak, you can use all the german parts you want but its not a HK if the receiver is not.. and that seems for some people a big thing and since the german barrel already is in the trunnion I leave that alone, just my thoughts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Just want to know your opinion about the advantages of using a genuine German made H&K barrel compared with a Rim Country hammer forged, nitride barrel? Is German really better than U.S.?
To me that depends on the parts set. Most PD guns were carried a lot and shot a little. If you have a complete parts set, the factory set the bolt gap with pressing and pinning the barrel in the trunnion. When buying just the barrel for a parts set that has no barrel, I'd go for the brand new RCM barrel. To me it is a simple matter of cost. I have had better luck buying a complete parts set for less money than buying a part here or there. I'm sure it could be done piece meal for less, but my time also has value. How many hours would it take to find each part or group of parts? By the same token, I've been very lucky finding parts sets. My best deal was two complete full size MP5A2 parts sets for $2,300. Again they where shot very little with the finish worn on the receiver parts. One of the kits even had a Action 3 bolt group.

Have been wondering this myself. Have a demilled MP5 parts kit, but have been contemplating putting in a new RCM 1/2x28 threaded Navy barrel. Any pros/cons of a used HK than a new RCM?
To me the pros are the barrel is already pressed into the trunnion and that barrel is a standard 3-lug (I'm guessing). I have a Vollmer converted 94 with a Navy style threaded barrel. I have to have a flash hider or can on the muzzle as the thread protector will shoot loose.

To me the con is the Navy barrel. If you need a threaded barrel, so be it. I'm personally not a big fan of thread mounted cans. I think the 3-lug system is so much better. If you don't need the threads, it is just one more part on the gun that can shoot loose. I'm sure you could sell the HK barrel in the trunnion for more than the cost of a RCM barrel and trunnion. Is this going to be a SBR? If so, you'd have a better parts count and could save some money with US parts. I personally think the RCM barrels are as good as the factory. YMMV.

Scott

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
If the host receiver is a German then might make sense to use the German barrel (there are few virgin HK barrels set back but they are going for a pretty penny if you can talk the guy out of them) but for a US receiver the reasons are less and for a shooter even less. I was looking at changing barrels on one of the 9mm HKs to a tri lug and the smith would prefer to use the RCM barrel vs the lightly used tri lug MP5 barrel ....

·
Vendor
8,216 Posts
The RCM CHF barrel is excellent. The nitride adds an additional bit of wear resistance so paired with CHF'ing, you got a great combo. They are nearly spot on aesthetically. If buying the Navy barrel, with some 3-lug attachements you need to remove the thread protector -or- as I do, shave about .015" off one side of the TP to expose about 1/2 a thread turn for clearnance.

That said, there has been no torture testing on these barrels. I personally have nearly 10,000 rounds now on one and the bore looks great. Mike and I have been discussing the possibility of doing some barrel clearing testing to further prove their reliablity and safety.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
I wish I had the money ,iam just not wealthy , all the funds available are being relocated now to renovate housse my girlfriend bought
As always, sounds more like a priority issue than an affordability problem. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
a german hk barrel will cost you many times more then a usa made ones ,you will not find a "virgin" hk barrel period.
I guess I would disagree with your comment that one can not find a "virgin " hk barrel period"

I have a "virgin" MP5/40 barrel for sale now on this site and sold the "virgin" 10mm one I had up for sale with the 40.
I also have a 9mm "virgin" in white Hk german mfg barrel as well which I have not put up. I am sure I am not the only Hk collector who has such items.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
To me the con is the Navy barrel. If you need a threaded barrel, so be it. I'm personally not a big fan of thread mounted cans. I think the 3-lug system is so much better. If you don't need the threads, it is just one more part on the gun that can shoot loose. I'm sure you could sell the HK barrel in the trunnion for more than the cost of a RCM barrel and trunnion. Is this going to be a SBR? If so, you'd have a better parts count and could save some money with US parts. I personally think the RCM barrels are as good as the factory. YMMV.

Scott
I live in WA. We cannot own SBRs (yet) and I already own 2 cans, one is a YHM Cobra M2 and one is a Octane 9. SWR makes 3-lug mount for the Octane. No issue there. YHM can is "universal" and I do not know of a 3-lug option is why I wanted the 1/2x28 Navy MP5 barrel. If I could get the Cobra M2 in a 3-lug mount then I would use stock barrel no problem.

OP, sorry to side-track your thread.

·
Vendor
1,325 Posts
Buy or use the RIM barrel.
The CHF with nitride is most likely better than the German barrel.
Nitride has proven to be equal if not better than chrome lined
with no loss of accuracy which can happen with CL.
MM

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
If I were you I would buy a couple of RCM barrels. BAH HA HA.
Sounds like a great idea. But then again, I'm the kind of guy who bought 700 of those G3 mags at $1 each. So I might have issues. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Buy or use the RIM barrel.
The CHF with nitride is most likely better than the German barrel.
Nitride has proven to be equal if not better than chrome lined
with no loss of accuracy which can happen with CL.
MM
I'm hip to that! Unless you are a purist or have the $$$'s, I just can't find the difference in price justifiable considering the quality of RCM barrels I have seen.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
As always, sounds more like a priority issue than an affordability problem. :wink:
Yeah, good point. I could always cut back my kids food intake to save some extra keesh. :) I think I'll sell my truck or trade it for a Vespa and a mushroom helmet. You got me to thinking about my priorities. Hmmm

I have been collecting virgin parts for an FMP 91 build. I wouldn't even attempt this with HK parts as they're just not out there in this condition, at least not for a whole build. You might be able find something here and there, but I doubt enough for a whole build. This isn't that I don't trust U.S parts, it's just that there's seems to be less failure's with German and contract parts. I want to build a hardcore 91 in pristine condition , so this is just the best route for me..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts