HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am considering having my USP 45 Tactical slide refinished. I self-distressed it trying to remove brass marks using scotch brite, and that took out some of the original black oxide coating. I know the HE is deep in the metal and this should still be fine. Since the brightening bugged me, I gave the entire slide a battleworn look that seemed like a good idea at the time but now I am starting to regret. LOL.

I'm not sure if I want to go Cerakote, so I am considering maybe a Matte Black Chrome or some other Blueing/Nitride treatment. Do folks know if the HE finish on the metal prevents it from other refinish treatments? Eg: Will hard chrome or black chrome not work because of the HE treatment? Is Cerakote the only option?

Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you contact HK?
I sent an email but have not received a reply. Was hoping to get insights from folks that have already refinished their H&Ks. My worry is that the nitrocarburized/HE treated metal may not respond well to other treatments. Most folks seem to have gone the Cerakote route, but, that's a last resort, as I'm not much of a fan of the coated look. I'm hoping to just get the factory finish, and mulling over just classic blueing to see if I can get the same effect? Even toying around with parkerization. But worried that the HE treated steel may not respond well to those traditional methods.

·
Some gun guy
605 Posts
I don't know that I'd want to try a second nitrocarb treatment. Might make the metal so hard that it becomes brittle.

I would contact Ford's, maybe get their opinion on the matter. I have not used them, but if you search for them on this forum, you will find great reviews, albeit with long wait times.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You might have a look at this post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know that I'd want to try a second nitrocarb treatment. Might make the metal so hard that it becomes brittle.

I would contact Ford's, maybe get their opinion on the matter. I have not used them, but if you search for them on this forum, you will find great reviews, albeit with long wait times.

Thanks. That is partly my worry. I will consult. I appreciate the lead. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might have a look at this post.

Aye. This popped when I searched the forums but I personally did not get anything definitive other than what the original finish "is", rather than what works to refinish. What is certain is Cerakote works, of course. But not sure whether rebluing or parkerizing will "attach" to the original HE treated metal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I mean, when I had my VP9SK cut for an optic by DP Customs I had it melonited. No issues whatsoever and looks great. I don’t know if they strip the top layer off or if they just Melonite over it but either way it works. Looks a little more flat than HKs HE which I actually kinda like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mean, when I had my VP9SK cut for an optic by DP Customs I had it melonited. No issues whatsoever and looks great. I don’t know if they strip the top layer off or if they just Melonite over it but either way it works. Looks a little more flat than HKs HE which I actually kinda like.
Thanks, I'll send them an inquiry too and find out. Melonite is also nitrocarburizing so @EasyVeeZee's concerns are the same. But my guess is, the original HE finish, can be "removed" if stripped or blasted strong enough? Not a metal expert, so I could be completely off base.

·
Some gun guy
605 Posts
Thanks, I'll send them an inquiry too and find out. Melonite is also nitrocarburizing so @EasyVeeZee's concerns are the same. But my guess is, the original HE finish, can be "removed" if stripped or blasted strong enough? Not a metal expert, so I could be completely off base.
In order to "remove" the nitrocarburization, you need to remove the affected metal. No idea how deep the treatment penetrates, but I suspect it's more metal than anybody cares to remove. I suspect the coloring is a secondary process, so you may have another option to just restore the color.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In order to "remove" the nitrocarburization, you need to remove the affected metal. No idea how deep the treatment penetrates, but I suspect it's more metal than anybody cares to remove. I suspect the coloring is a secondary process, so you may have another option to just restore the color.
I just sent an email to Doug of DP Customs. If I get a reply, I'll share if he "stripped" anything to redo the Melonite or as you said, if he actually did not do the complete nitrocarburization and just the "coloring" part.

Either way, separately, what I am considering is maybe just having the slide parkerized to a satin black finish. It might be the closest to the original as a "colorization" process of sorts. Just need to figure out, or just attempt to see if it sticks to the original HE steel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spoke with the Ops Manager at H&M H&M Blacknitride+™ | The New Standard in Steel Hardening And they have a process that they can re-nitride parts . As far as the black goes , it's not black oxide , but they lower the temp of the salt bath process . I've got a couple of rifle barrels I'm sending there way .
Interesting. Any ballpark figure you can share on their costs for the "re-nitride" process? Checking their website though, a lot of references are to internal parts rather than "refinishing".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had a chat with Ford's Customs. If it matters, for posterity, he mentioned that the only "refinish" he recommends is Hard Chrome (possibly Black Chrome). They've tried "rebluing" or retreating to blacken H&K slides, but they end up more "plum" than black likely because of the HE process or their nitrocarburization. So it doesn't look like rebluing or oxidizing works well, as anticipated. I'm leaning more towards a Matte Black Chrome but will have to wait until they start doing the work again as they're tweaking the process.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Had a chat with Ford's Customs. If it matters, for posterity, he mentioned that the only "refinish" he recommends is Hard Chrome (possibly Black Chrome). They've tried "rebluing" or retreating to blacken H&K slides, but they end up more "plum" than black likely because of the HE process or their nitrocarburization. So it doesn't look like rebluing or oxidizing works well, as anticipated. I'm leaning more towards a Matte Black Chrome but will have to wait until they start doing the work again as they're tweaking the process.
@elephantzen IonBond DLC would give you all the properties you are looking for, it's harder than hard chrome, it will also have a matte Black appearance. This would probably be the way I would go with no waiting, and it checks all the boxes. This company put IonBond Diamond Black on my Browning Hi-Power built by Don Williams. Sorry it's not an H&K, just posting this photo to give you a close up of what IonBond looks like. I would also have the barrel and slide stop finished to provide a uniform look. Just my 2 cents.

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Material property

1 - 16 of 16 Posts