HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been many threads written about how H&K seems devoid of market focus. Going their own way despite competitive and market forces that have shown a better path to growth and success. Charging outrageous sums for their guns that, though high quality, seem quite overpriced nonetheless. Many claim that they don't care about consumers because they win so many military contracts but compared to U.S. companies making M4's, or Glock selling to the worlds police force's, they don't seem like big numbers.
Regardless, my pet peeve for the day is the magazine capacity on their USP (and successor) line of handguns. Glock's carry almost 50% more rounds while being extremely reliable and costing far less. Regardless of cost, how can H&K justify the limited round counts that their mags carry? Why won't they just fix this?
Next rant, why their mags don't interoperate between similar gun models!!!! (some other time).
B

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
There have been many threads written about how H&K seems devoid of market focus. Going their own way despite competitive and market forces that have shown a better path to growth and success. Charging outrageous sums for their guns that, though high quality, seem quite overpriced nonetheless. Many claim that they don't care about consumers because they win so many military contracts but compared to U.S. companies making M4's, or Glock selling to the worlds police force's, they don't seem like big numbers.
Regardless, my pet peeve for the day is the magazine capacity on their USP (and successor) line of handguns. Glock's carry almost 50% more rounds while being extremely reliable and costing far less. Regardless of cost, how can H&K justify the limited round counts that their mags carry? Why won't they just fix this?
Next rant, why their mags don't interoperate between similar gun models!!!! (some other time).
B
Where are you getting your figures from?

Glock 19 (15rd capacity)
P30 9mm (15rd cap)

HKUSP 45 (12rd cap)
Glock 21 (13rd cap)

Glock 30 (10rd cap 9 w/flush fit mag)
HK45c and USP45c (8 w/flush and 10 w/elephant foot)

Glock 22 (15rd cap)
USP40 (13rd cap)

Doesn't seem like 50% less to me bud. Not looking to bash Glock but they don't hold many more rounds than HKs.

-DBLAction454

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
HK's have totally adequate magazine capacity. This is a argument usually started by Glock fanboys. My answer is always the same. Go buy more Glocks, let me have the HK mags out there. As far as the elevated price of HK mags. When you buy an HK you now what you are stepping into. Sure, they cost more. But the better things in life usually do.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Glock mags suck anyways. HK mags are just as reliable as the pistol they go in. Not so with Glock. Glock mags are not drop-free. I will argue that until I die. The plastic bodies tend to stick in the mag well. Get any kind of dirt or grit or carbon in the mag well and the magazine will not reliably drop free of the gun making one use precious time pulling the mag out. The plastic on the bottom of the mag tends to crack in high heat and after extensive use. Glock mags are also stupid hard to load compared to other magazines. Getting those last few rounds in the mag is difficult compared to many other manufacturers magazines. As far as capacity, I don't see a huge difference between Glock and HK.

·
Registered
854 Posts
+1 on the troll-o-meter...

All the companies he named get American LEO contracts solely because some penny pinching desk-jockey who knows nothing but numbers on paper makes the calls...Glocks only sell because most Americans only know 3 things...1) what they see on TV/movies 2) pricetag shoppng 3) gunstore experts who aren't proficient with anything but their mouths...

Go back to Glocktalk and wow them with your rhetoric OP...we ain't buying it

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Where are you getting your figures from?

Glock 19 (15rd capacity)
P30 9mm (15rd cap)

HKUSP 45 (12rd cap)
Glock 21 (13rd cap)

Glock 30 (10rd cap 9 w/flush fit mag)
HK45c and USP45c (8 w/flush and 10 w/elephant foot)

Glock 22 (15rd cap)
USP40 (13rd cap)

Doesn't seem like 50% less to me bud. Not looking to bash Glock but they don't hold many more rounds than HKs.

-DBLAction454
Great post to the OP's rant.

Maybe he's talking about those extended 33 round mags or like a Glock 19 with a Glock 17 mag with a +2 extension... or something like that. Even though I like Glocks I agree with BigBoss0311 "Glock mags are not drop free".

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well here's the thing with HK mags, or at least those with numbered witness holes, that number eight isn't a number eight. It's a sideways infinite symbol, that's right they have unlimited ammo. That's the reason why the mags are so expensive. How does this work you might ask? Beats me man I just work here.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm 60+ years old and my pet peeve of the day is that today's world is full of crybabies.

·
Super Moderator
6,046 Posts
Well here's the thing with HK mags, or at least those with numbered witness holes, that number eight isn't a number eight. It's a sideways infinite symbol, that's right they have unlimited ammo. That's the reason why the mags are so expensive. How does this work you might ask? Beats me man I just work here.
^ This right here is how you win!

And, on a serious side note. I will take the 1-2 less rounds for a mag that drops free EVERY SINGLE TIME, is good for the life of the gun pretty much, and has never given me an issue. Over, the plastic stick-o-matics that I have in my G19. HK's guns while they don't cram every singe round into the frame that they can, does make a quality, standard capacity magazine.

And if you have a USP 9 or 40 and you don't like the standard capacity, throw a jet funnel kit on it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
...my pet peeve of the day is that today's world is full of crybabies.
+1...my thoughts exactly. 15 rounds is plenty for me (esp with a 15 round reload), although if I carried a 30+ round Glock mag, I could reach over my shoulder to reload, as if I was grabbing for a samurai sword...that would look pretty cool.

H

·
0 Posts
DBLAction said it best. Apples to apples comparison round for round. On a side note. Maybe not all models have mag interchangeability but quite a few do. Just a quick example: the uspc, p2000, and P30 in 9mm mags all work with the p2000sk model. Currently I run a USPc mag I bought from one of the other members here on the forum with an xgrip on my sk for range use at times. The SK which is my daily carry normally has a 10 round flush fit with a P30 15 round mag as a spare. I would also like to add that none of my HK's has ever had a so much as a hiccup running any of the other model mags or anything for that matter. Which I can't say for any of the Gen4 Glocks that I have owned and since rid myself of. So please explain to me about the lack of interchangeability I for one am plenty happy between my SK and P30. One last thing... now I am not trying to be unprofessional but I feel that someone should say this. You shouldn't be on an HK forum saying things that might be construed as brand bashing even if you are ranting. Personally I would find another forum to do this in. IMHO I for one won't stress about one or two rounds from a +2 adapter or such and I am pretty sure several people would agree. If mag capacity was ones sole concern I would recommend that they go buy some ammo and go back to the range to work on their marksmanship skills. Maybe even invest in some quality training with someone like Mr. Vickers or Mr. Green, (there are many other qualified instructors out there they just came to mind first). I know that during my time spent in the Infantry marksmanship was always a priority not how much ammo was to be carried. Besides what difference does it make to have 15 rounds or 50 if you can't hit *@#$ with it?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Glock 19 (15rd capacity)
P30 9mm (15rd cap)

I'll see your 15 rounds and raise you 2:

Beretta M92 Centurion -- 4" barrel (17rd capacity)
S&W M&P9 (17rd capacity)

:wink:

-- Chuck

·
Registered
854 Posts
^ This right here is how you win!

And, on a serious side note. I will take the 1-2 less rounds for a mag that drops free EVERY SINGLE TIME, is good for the life of the gun pretty much, and has never given me an issue. Over, the plastic stick-o-matics that I have in my G19. HK's guns while they don't cram every singe round into the frame that they can, does make a quality, standard capacity magazine.

And if you have a USP 9 or 40 and you don't like the standard capacity, throw a jet funnel kit on it.
lets not also forget for the USPc/ P2000 guys...magazines that are actually *gasp* made of metal?! thats like an antique concept anymore- i gladly pay the extra fee for the HK Koolaid; Haterade included at no extra charge!

·
Registered
59 Posts
amen!!! Marksmanship is the answer, be able to accurately place your rounds where they will do the most good.
I was trained by the Marine Corp in 1966 in the art of armed combat. This was about the time that everyone was issued a selective fire weapon.
Viet Nam was currently a war zone and the DI's made it plain that this change had reduced the ratio of combatants removed from fighting to rounds fired by a significant amount,
most troops with selective fire ability were using it and spraying the area rather than using accurate aimed selective fire. The weapon is not a water hose. Marksmanship results
in the most bang for the round expended.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My HK USP with factory magazines and factory Jet Funnel has a higher capacity than a Glock 17 in 9mm (18+1 vs 17+1) and my 40 calls have a higher capacity as well (16+1 vs 15+1).

HK has even started offering 31 round mags for as little as 4X higher than Glock 33 rounders.

Glocks are solid guns and hard to fault. HKs are my preference.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The one point that the OP made in a roundabout way that will be hard to dispute is the small amount of 3rd party support for HKs compared to other manufacturers like Glock, S&W and SA.

Now I think HKs get all the support that's really necessary like holsters and sights, but miss out on the occasional fun stuff like 22 lr kits and ridiculous tacticool bazillion round magazines.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.