HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to see if any one else had the same issues I had this weekend. Shot the MP5 in .22 I just purchased this weekend. I love the gun cheap to shoot not a single jam but the folding stock is so uncomfortable to shoulder and sight in. As a plink gun it was so fun but wanted to check the sights and almost had to hold it so my eyes were behind the rear but stock. I ordered the standard fixed stock and will see how that does.

Just curious if I was the only one.

Also put about 250 rounds through my USP 9mm compact with the lem triger. I can say I love this gun. I had a glock 17 for the longest time. I am so glad i sold it and purchased this hand gun.

·
Registered
507 Posts
There are others on other forums who have complained about the same issue, and their solution is the same as yours...go with the fixed stock.

I don't have an issue with mine and shoot with it just fine. It does force me to put my face right up against the back of the receiver, but I would need to do that anyway to get my eye close enought to the diopter sight.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just wanted to see if any one else had the same issues I had this weekend. Shot the MP5 in .22 I just purchased this weekend. I love the gun cheap to shoot not a single jam but the folding stock is so uncomfortable to shoulder and sight in. As a plink gun it was so fun but wanted to check the sights and almost had to hold it so my eyes were behind the rear but stock. I ordered the standard fixed stock and will see how that does.

Just curious if I was the only one.
I had the exact same issue with mine, and found that installing the fixed stock resolved it completely--it's now very comfortable to sight in and shoot. And like you, I didn't have a single jam, even after shooting hundreds of rounds (all CCI Mini-Mags). The MP5 .22 is a great little shooter!

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Do you have to SBR these with the fixed stock?
Why would you need to? The barrel length is still 16.1" and according to the manual, the OAL with the collapsible stock is 26.8 (collapsed) and 33.8 (extended). Putting on the fixed stock is going to make it nearly as long as with the collapsible stock extended.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here in MI:

Rifle below 26 inches in overall length whether the stock is folded or not = SBR and is illegal.

Having said that, I think this would actually be classified as a pistol here and need to be registered.

Why would you need to? The barrel length is still 16.1" and according to the manual, the OAL with
the collapsible stock is 26.8 (collapsed) and 33.8 (extended). Putting on the fixed stock is going to make it nearly as long as with the collapsible stock extended.

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
It's not under 26 inches with the stock collapsed and with the fixed stock it's even longer.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Here in MI:

Rifle below 26 inches in overall length whether the stock is folded or not = SBR and is illegal.

Having said that, I think this would actually be classified as a pistol here and need to be registered.
Ummm...rimfires don't fall under typical guidelines--even in California-- and I seriously doubt they would register anything with a functioning stock as a pistol--if they did then how exactly would you seperate a pistol from an SBR

·
Registered
44 Posts
You'd have to ask the genius law makers, but believe it because my buddy had to register his kel-tec RFB as a pistol...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Opinion No. 6280 March 20, 1985
PISTOLS:
Firearm fully operable when folded or contracted with length of 30 inches or less as a pistol
SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE:
Rifle fully operable with stock folded or contracted as a ‘short-barreled rifle’
SHORT-BARRELED SHOTGUN:
Shotgun fully operable with stock folded or contracted as a ‘short-barreled shotgun’
WEAPONS:
Firearm fully operable when folded or contracted with length of 30 inches or less as a pistol
A firearm containing a stock capable of being contracted or folded to an overall length of 30 inches or less and being fully
operable in such contracted or folded condition is a pistol requiring licensure for purchase, carrying or transport, and is subject to safety inspection.
A rifle with a barrel of at least 16 inches in length and a stock capable of being contracted or folded to an overall length of less than 26 inches, being fully operable in such contracted or folded condition, is a ‘short-barreled rifle’ whose sale or possession is prohibited.
A shotgun with a barrel of at least 18 inches in length and a stock capable of being contracted or folded to an overall length of less than 26 inches, being fully operable in such contracted or folded condition, is a ‘short-barreled shotgun’ whose sale or possession is prohibited.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Wow...your lawmaking re-treads must me smoking the same stuff as the Iowa House and Senate are...cus in the rest of the world a handgun doesn't have a stock; an SBR does....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree! but the silver lining is bullpups can be had without having to SBR them, just registered as a pistol. (and we can have machine guns and silencers too.)

Wow...your lawmaking re-treads must me smoking the same stuff as the Iowa House and Senate are...cus in the rest of the world a handgun doesn't have a stock; an SBR does....

·
Registered
854 Posts
Must be nice...our dips**ts killed off Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground legislation in favor of worrying about Tax Bills...No NFA exemptions of anykind...we have Shall-Issue which does NO good when you will prosecuted and sued Civily for using a firearm in self defense...ugh

Thanks for the breakdown of your law...I forwarded that info to our IFC...

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I have the same problem. That stock they give you sucks. Would it also be too much for them to include a 2nd magazine? I ordered the fixed stock as well. It's a great shooter though. Cycles every type of ammo I have used so far. Even the nasty Remington Subsonic stuff...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Staying involved as much as possible certainly helps. We currently have open carry and a legislator who open carries in the state house that is pushing to improve gun education and simplify the process of getting a concealed permit.
Must be nice...our dips**ts killed off Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground legislation in favor of worrying about Tax Bills...No NFA exemptions of anykind...we have Shall-Issue which does NO good when you will prosecuted and sued Civily for using a firearm in self defense...ugh

Thanks for the breakdown of your law...I forwarded that info to our IFC...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ordered both the A2 style fixed stock and 3 additional 25 round magazines from Umarex direct. The slightly additional length of pull of the A2 stock does make a difference. The A3 stock is still nice for more compact transport/storage. Only other issue I had was with the paint used. The A3 stock does scratch easily, as does the front sling mount. However no functional issues, no FTFs or FTEs after 2000+ rounds. Good luck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree! but the silver lining is bullpups can be had without having to SBR them, just registered as a pistol. (and we can have machine guns and silencers too.)
I was under the impression that although some companies are sliding some of these bullpups in and getting BATFE pistol classifications, you have to register it as a pistol through the ATF and they have to approve it, you cant go rifle to pistol with out ATF approval and atf registering as a pistol or you would be breaking federal law and i highly doubt they would register something like an AUG or an FS2000 as a pistol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts