HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill keep this brief, but while working plain clothes I was carrying my USPf 45 in a Serpa holster with an extra mag in the blackhawk mag pouch.

A partner and I ended up in a fight with 2 (then 3) suspects, who ran. As we were chasing them down, it looked like a group of people (who came out from a residence) were going to get involved, and my partner and I got separated. I had the first two suspects take me to the ground and get over top of me while I was on my back. Suspect 1 started reaching for my belt/holster/sidearm while I was delivering blows. At this point, I cant see my partner, the second suspect is out of sight, Im hearing yelling, and i manage to roll over on my gun side, lock my left arm across his body and grab the arm thats going for my gun. It became clear at this point it was going to be him or me, and I had position to draw and fire. I drew, struck him in the head with the pistol and when I was about to go for a contact shot on the back of his neck and my partner tackled him; with back up starting to arrive. At this point I was able to reholster and get back into the fray.

At the end of the day we ended up being mostly ok and the BG's went to jail.

Brief observations about gear I realized:

When I felt the guy's hands on and around my gun the first thing I wanted was my TDi knife. It would have been supremely useful here.

The serpa does everything they say it will. Through this whole struggle, it got banged, and took a good hit to gouge it out on the concrete, and retained the weapon. My mag base plate struck the concrete good when I fell, torquing the gun against the serpa's trigger lock. the thing held, and the retention device is undamaged.

The mag pouch is worthless. Early on during the fight I heard what I knew was a mag hitting the ground and was at first worried I lost the mag from the weapon, until I realized I still had the weight of it. There isnt enough retention on even a big mag like the 12rnd .45 to hold it securly, and the belt clamp totally sucks.

I now know why the HK mag release is designed the way it is. Its incredibly difficult to get an accidental release with it. Placement allows it to be protected by almost any holster to prevent accidental release.(Ive had my sigs release with pressure in the holster). It wont accidentally release with lateral pressure against a holster (which is common in a struggle or even daily use) and as long as you have a solid hold on the weapon grip, your finger placement prevents unintentional release of the magazine.

All in all, it got taken care of. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Glad to hear that you are ok. Would you recommend the SERPA over the Bianchi Carrylok system?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good job of protecting your weapon. We all know you did good cause you are able to tell the story to us instead of the news. Glad to hear you are okay.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Good God man!!

I have never had a guy go after my gun... I hope to keep it that way.

Glad a fellow LEO is OK.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Glad to see your ok. Needless to say you handled yourself admirably. If I were an LEO weapon take-aways would be my main concern, and the SERPA would be my solution as well.

A backup weapon of some type is always appreciated when the SHTF.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys....

Ive never used the bianchi set up, so its hard to say for sure. The only observation I have is that the push button of the Serpa seems like it would be better against accidental or suspect release because its not protruding. Honestly, what I think would be even better is a release between the holster and the body, like the fobus release...except for their stuff is garbage.

-KP

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am glad to see you ended your shift ok. Even happier to see the BG's went to jail!

Thanks for the holster info to.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good Guys - 1

Bad Guys - 0

Even though it wasn't a no-hitter, at least you tossed a shut-out, KurtP2k.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My USP base plate is chewed up, some slight damage to my frame, and the holster took a grind. Ill take pics of it if someone wants to resize and post it.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Glad both of you are okay. That must have been scarey as hell!! Good work, too bad people with that mindset, will end up back on the streets. Scarey world out there.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Damn happy you are alright! Makes me happy about my SERPA purchase.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Kurt,
Glad to hear that you are ok and that you were able to apprehend the scumbags. Next time please make sure you have your knife on you :).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Glad you're OK bro. You guys came out on top and that is awesome. BG's in the pen where they belong. Good to hear the Serpa worked. I just got one for my HK45. Open top mag holders are always a problem in a fight. I shim mine(certain gear) and it helps. If I go for a spare mag it will come out and the shim may be lost but it is replacable.
Good report and again, great job.
Ben

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for the support guys. No kidding on the knife..... Last time I leave that behind.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's scary stuff - and it sounds like you handled yourself very well.

Is there an escalation of the crimes someone gets accused of in that situation? I've seen people charged with 'resisting arrest' for doing very little on TV - I'd think there would be some bigger things you could charge them with for actually fighting with you and further for trying to take your weapon. IMO that's attempted murder.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Kurt its great to hear you went home last night after your shift, great job by your partner too! Im really glad youre alright!

Edged weapons are supreme in close hand to hand - good practice to have a BUG on one ankle - a knife on the other ankle.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
My USP base plate is chewed up, some slight damage to my frame, and the holster took a grind. Ill take pics of it if someone wants to resize and post it.
Nice to see all went well what you went through. Which Serpa are you using?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lucky I have never had anyone go for my gun yet but I have lost magazines in a full duty Sam Browne. I still carry open tops but have put a little loctite on the retention screw for just that occaision. I'm glad to hear the review of the Blackhawk. I have a Serpa holster that I carry my USP or HK45 in for plainclothes and jacketed off duty and I have always felt confident in it's abilities. I have yet to find a plainclothes/concealed carry type mag pouch that I like. Glad to hear you made it outa there with just a story.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Awesome story, glad you're OK.

·
Registered
173 Posts
wow! thanks for shareing the story. thanks for keeping our streets safe, and most of all thanks to you and your partner for keeping each other safe.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts