HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gents. I am sure many of you are familiar with the contract mess by the German Bundeswehr in which the Haenel was selected over our beloved 416 and the new 433 for the G36 replacement program. Now B&T is stating they will import this weapon into the states as the B&T-15 with a price point of about $3.5k. I acquired one of these 'pistols' through an importer late last year for about a thousand less than that and finally got some time to take to the range during a basic rifleman course with the guys at Epsilon NW (Login • Instagram) - if your out in the west coast I encourage you to look them up.

Of note, this gun is labeled 223 however all my research leads me to believe you are just fine with firing 556 from this gun, and this is in fact what I did. Just like the MR223 / MR556 this seems to be mostly just a marking difference to 'civilianize' it for the European civilian market. I ran about 400 rounds of Federal M193 through it with no issue. This gun is specc'd with a 10.5 barrel.

First impressions are pretty good, the ergonomics are decent but not life-changing and very similar to the 416A3 - in fact the entire platform feels like a 416A3 with a different label. The lack of any QD mounts and the use of keymod make accessorizing a bit difficult at the moment so I did not run a sling through this course. B&T claims they will be importing their version with a proprietary MLOK handguard so I will definitely to get one of those at some point.

The gun does not have an adjustable gasblock and is self-regulating with a pinhole vent up front on the gas block. The recoil impluse is sharp, but no worse than any other piston gun I have fired - the gun feels less overgassed than the 416 and does not feel like it wants to beat itself to death or shooting the spent cartridges to Saturn. Honestly, overall, the gun feels pretty average in respects save one - the trigger. This has got to be the best out of the box AR trigger I've ever encountered. Its maybe 4lbs and has zero take up - as a 1911 fanboy this speaks to me. The trigger is curved and but feels just a bit wider than most and both its pull and reset are precise, audible, and tactile so you know exactly where you stand with the gun.

Overall I think the gun would be a good choice over the 416 if price were concerned and you had to have ze german gun. I dont feel bad at all for the cash spent on it, but I would definitely second guess it for the premium B&T is talking about charging. Its a fun gun and a nice import from a country we often don't get the cool new toys from so I am happy Haenel is not planning to ignore the US civilian market and look forward to seeing these around more often.

-GB

Attachments

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Thanks for the review, interesting to hear your impressions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Banned
14 Posts
Hello gents. I am sure many of you are familiar with the contract mess by the German Bundeswehr in which the Haenel was selected over our beloved 416 and the new 433 for the G36 replacement program. Now B&T is stating they will import this weapon into the states as the B&T-15 with a price point of about $3.5k. I acquired one of these 'pistols' through an importer late last year for about a thousand less than that and finally got some time to take to the range during a basic rifleman course with the guys at Epsilon NW (Login • Instagram) - if your out in the west coast I encourage you to look them up.

Of note, this gun is labeled 223 however all my research leads me to believe you are just fine with firing 556 from this gun, and this is in fact what I did. Just like the MR223 / MR556 this seems to be mostly just a marking difference to 'civilianize' it for the European civilian market. I ran about 400 rounds of Federal M193 through it with no issue. This gun is specc'd with a 10.5 barrel.

First impressions are pretty good, the ergonomics are decent but not life-changing and very similar to the 416A3 - in fact the entire platform feels like a 416A3 with a different label. The lack of any QD mounts and the use of keymod make accessorizing a bit difficult at the moment so I did not run a sling through this course. B&T claims they will be importing their version with a proprietary MLOK handguard so I will definitely to get one of those at some point.

The gun does not have an adjustable gasblock and is self-regulating with a pinhole vent up front on the gas block. The recoil impluse is sharp, but no worse than any other piston gun I have fired - the gun feels less overgassed than the 416 and does not feel like it wants to beat itself to death or shooting the spent cartridges to Saturn. Honestly, overall, the gun feels pretty average in respects save one - the trigger. This has got to be the best out of the box AR trigger I've ever encountered. Its maybe 4lbs and has zero take up - as a 1911 fanboy this speaks to me. The trigger is curved and but feels just a bit wider than most and both its pull and reset are precise, audible, and tactile so you know exactly where you stand with the gun.

Overall I think the gun would be a good choice over the 416 if price were concerned and you had to have ze german gun. I dont feel bad at all for the cash spent on it, but I would definitely second guess it for the premium B&T is talking about charging. Its a fun gun and a nice import from a country we often don't get the cool new toys from so I am happy Haenel is not planning to ignore the US civilian market and look forward to seeing these around more often.

-GB

View attachment 284687

View attachment 284683

View attachment 284684

View attachment 284685

View attachment 284686
Nice review

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's the story on these early imports and why is it getting re-stamped under BT?
This early batch were through a smaller importer in FL - Bereli. I believe he still has a few, but he's charging a huge premium since the B&T announcement - $4k at last check. I found out about it through a friend got in an order way ahead of that so I got it for far less than that. I believe B&T will sell them for around $3.5k - as for why its being rebranded and sold as B&T id guess brand recognition - no one stateside knows Haenel, but many do know B&T.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My FFL called Bereli and asked for a quantity discount, they were flexible with the price($3999 on their site and $4100 on GB).
I think he order 3-4 of them for $3600/each

·
Registered
478 Posts
I picked up one, formed 1 it - switching out the muzzle break for a Deadair JMAC so can run it with a saker, and put a magpul on it. I have a mr223 and this think is tighter (absolutely 0 play between the upper and lower - never seen that before on any AR platform - its rock solid) - nice matt finish. Put a HK v2 grip on it as the factory grip was aweful.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I see a HaenelPro.com in the future? Meeeeeeaaaa maybe not. LOL

·
Registered
94 Posts

-GB

View attachment 284687

View attachment 284683

View attachment 284684

View attachment 284685

View attachment 284686
Thanks for the review. can you post a picture of the cr223 upper on a mil spec lower and how it performs?

And what about the self regulating gas system? Is that from marketing material or Did you check with a supressor yourself?

·
Premium Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2,038 Posts
Thank you for the report. My BT import will be here Monday.
What is this obsession about Chrome lined barrels? Wear a uniform for a few years and learned to keep your weapon clean!

Modern ammo has been non-corrosive for like 40 years. Chrome lining does extend barrel life: from like what 30000 to 40000 rounds? I have yet to wear out a barrel - maybe I need to shoot more LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
What is this obsession about Chrome lined barrels? Wear a uniform for a few years and learned to keep your weapon clean!
It’s about life. I don’t know about these but throats in non-cls can get cooked and degrade in accuracy in 6500-8k. Keyholing has occurred around 10k. Most won’t see these numbers but run a couple of classes and you have sapped 40% of your barrel life.
not great for an expensive proprietary gun.

meanwhile I took ownership of a 416 that had 15k on it give it take and I put another 10k on it and it still held under 2.5 MOA.

so there ya go

ps depending on the uniform, many don’t know how to clean properly. Institutions have killed more guns with their white glove bs than bullets ever will

·
Registered
10 Posts

Modern ammo has been non-corrosive for like 40 years. Chrome lining does extend barrel life: from like what 30000 to 40000 rounds? I have yet to wear out a barrel - maybe I need to shoot more LOL.
Ah yes I did wear a uniform for 27 years. What are you implying with that comment??

I personally like chrome lined barrels.
I have an SOT licence so I shoot a lot of full auto.

Arms unlimited said the have chrome lined barrels to me by email.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts