HKPRO Forums banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
This is an interesting thread to read!

Kraigster, did you ever try a hard chrome finish from or similar to Tripps? If so, I am just curious as to why you would so strongly favor the NP3 over it.

Thanks!
NP3 requires very little in the way of lubrication/oil - virtually none to be honest. That is not true with hard chrome which is essentially equal to conventional bluing in terms of lubricity, i.e, you still need a a good amount oil or lube on your semi auto to ensure reliable functioning and reduced wear depending on tolerances and other factors. For me, that's and added plus. Combined with Robar's terrific (and consistent) quality control and willingness to work with you on special requests, makes them my re-finisher of choice. Yes, I have had guns hard chromed in the past and if maximum hardness is what you want, HC can't be beat. It too is an excellent finish and very attractive. I just prefer NP3.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
ALL firearms, blue, parkerized, nickel(NP3), hard chrome, titanium, plated ALL need to have some lubrication as oil/grease. Running any firearm dry is asking for trouble/malfunctions. Oil them all for best results!

·
Registered
373 Posts
ALL firearms, blue, parkerized, nickel(NP3), hard chrome, titanium, plated ALL need to have some lubrication as oil/grease. Running any firearm dry is asking for trouble/malfunctions. Oil them all for best results!
Nobody is saying run a gun dry. My point was that less lubrication is required with NP3 (vice a blued or hard chromed gun all things being equal) and if you acquire a gun that has been NP3'd, you will appreciate that advantage immediately. I also recommend for anyone interested, that you read up on NP3 at the Robar site, quite interesting.

http://www.robarguns.com/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kost and Kraig:

Apparently Robar disagrees with both of you:

From their FAQ:

"How do I maintain my refinished firearm?
We suggest maintaining the exterior as you would a blued firearm to keep them in the best condition possible! If you have a firearm completely refinished in NP3, a period of 200 to 300 rounds is typically required for break in with quality gun oil or grease. After this period you can run your weapon lightly lubricated or completely dry! If you've chosen Roguard, the same number of rounds apply however, we suggest keeping minimal amount of synthetic lubricant in the higher wearing areas."

Kowboy

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Thats ok if Robar says to run weapons with little/no oil with the NP3 nickel/teflon. No matter what finish, I treat them all the same - they all get oiled. Wonder if my NP3 pistols would show less wear if I run them dry, instead of with oil...doubt it. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thats ok if Robar says to run weapons with little/no oil with the NP3 nickel/teflon. No matter what finish, I treat them all the same - they all get oiled. Wonder if my NP3 pistols would show less wear if I run them dry, instead of with oil...doubt it. ;)
Same here my NP3'd pistol is lubed the same as the rest.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Kost and Kraig:

Apparently Robar disagrees with both of you:

From their FAQ:

"How do I maintain my refinished firearm?
We suggest maintaining the exterior as you would a blued firearm to keep them in the best condition possible! If you have a firearm completely refinished in NP3, a period of 200 to 300 rounds is typically required for break in with quality gun oil or grease. After this period you can run your weapon lightly lubricated or completely dry! If you've chosen Roguard, the same number of rounds apply however, we suggest keeping minimal amount of synthetic lubricant in the higher wearing areas."

Kowboy
Kowboy, not to beat a dead horse here but I said essentially the same thing Robar did. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I prefer NP3. Here is a close up shot of NP3 finish (It is on a glock 27 though but it will give you an idea of the color):

·
Registered
14 Posts
LOl, I thought it was a great picture and I didn't want to have to link a thread, please forgive me =)

·
Registered
9 Posts
These threads hurt my brain. I thought I had my mind made up to go with Robar for NP3, but then I see another gorgeous P7 done by Tripp and I start to wonder why I should bother with the slightly higher cost and reportedly longer turnaround time.

You know the big problem with P7 people is, the people with HC P7s seem to be better photographers and are more inclined to post a gorgeous photo of their gorgeous weapons. There really needs to be more high-quality pics of NP3 in these threads. :/

·
Registered
373 Posts
"There really needs to be more high-quality pics of NP3 in these threads. "

Well, EXCUUUSE me! As for Robar's turnaround time, I think it's worth it. (What is it about this need for immediate gratification? :)) The principal advantages of hard chrome (as I have used Tripp in the past myself) is the additional (but not significant unless you are really hard on guns) Rockwell hardness, price (but not a big difference IMHO), and perhaps turnaround time if we're talking Tripp vs. Robar. Robar by the way does expedite LE orders and offers a LE discount if that applies to you. Othewise, NP3 is as aesthetically pleasing as hardchrome, some say more so, is slick as grease, requires less oil, and wears extremely well. It remains my finish of choice. And Robar's quality control standards are second to none.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"There really needs to be more high-quality pics of NP3 in these threads. "

Well, EXCUUUSE me! As for Robar's turnaround time, I think it's worth it. (What is about this need for immediate gratification? :)) The principal advantages of hard chrome (as I have used Tripp in the past myself) is the additional (but not significant unless you are really hard on guns) Rockwell hardness, price (but not a big difference IMHO), and perhaps turnaround time if we're talking Tripp vs. Robar. Robar by the way does expedite LE orders and offers a LE discount if that applies to you. Othewise, NP3 is as aesthetically pleasing as hardchrome, some say more so, is slick as grease, requires less oil, and wears extremely well. It remains my finish of choice. And Robar's quality control standards are second to none.
Okay! I'm sold! It's off to Robar...at least until I see another picture of somebody's HC'd P7. Then I'll have more angst. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Okay! I'm sold! It's off to Robar...at least until I see another picture of somebody's HC'd P7. Then I'll have more angst. :)
Forget the angst. Just do it! :) Robar has been in this business for a long time and there's a reason. Keep in mind, when they NP3 the slide, they also NP3 the slide's internal parts. And if you have any other misc. parts from other guns that you want to NP3, now is the time to do it. Include with your order.

·
Registered
33 Posts
what don't they NP3 when you send them your pistol??? I am still on the fence on this myself...Hard chrome is tough but the added lubricity of NP3 and the blessings from HK for Robar...confusing!
Bill

·
Registered
616 Posts
I was almost sold on NP3, even though I did think hard chrome looks better. Then I read a few accounts of robar being so slick that slingshotting or overhanding the slide was an issue because their hands were slipping of the slide during high stress drills and maneuvers, that was enough to make me shy away from it. I like the lubricity of the teflon, but I dont want a slick gun...it just seems like a liability to me.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was almost sold on NP3, even though I did think hard chrome looks better. Then I read a few accounts of robar being so slick that slingshotting or overhanding the slide was an issue because their hands were slipping of the slide during high stress drills and maneuvers, that was enough to make me shy away from it. I like the lubricity of the teflon, but I dont want a slick gun...it just seems like a liability to me.
I have never had that problem with NP3 and I have never heard of anyone having that problem with NP3. It could be gun-specific, i.e., lack of adequate gripping surface on the slide. I have NP3 on a Glock and an XD, no problems whatsoever. Be careful of those "few accounts." Some people because of lack of strength in their hands due to age or arthritis, and yes, some of the "fairer sex" could have a problem I suppose but they more than likely would have a problem with a non-NP3 gun as well. But you sound healthy enough. :) As to aesthetics, I personally prefer the more subtle matte gray of NP3 over shinier hard chrome. Bottom line, both are excellent choices. I just think that NP3 offers more (but that's just me).

21 - 40 of 78 Posts