HKPRO Forums banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
It can be a problem especially on a USP where the slide serrations are relatively shallow. I wouldn't know about the P7. Kraigster, you've not had this problem with your Glock before the serrations are significantly deeper. If you want NP3 on a USP you might consider having Robar mill the serrations a little deeper.

what don't they NP3 when you send them your pistol???
Bill
Its up to you if you want the internals done. They won't do springs and will plug the barrel to protect the bore.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It can be a problem especially on a USP where the slide serrations are relatively shallow. I wouldn't know about the P7. Kraigster, you've not had this problem with your Glock before the serrations are significantly deeper. If you want NP3 on a USP you might consider having Robar mill the serrations a little deeper.

Its up to you if you want the internals done. They won't do springs and will plug the barrel to protect the bore.
Chooch, you are absolutely correct in that I have not had experience with NP3'ing an HK. But then again, I like the factory finish just fine on my HK P2000 and have no intention of re-finishing it. I should also mention that many folks have had their Sigs NP'3d and no reports of problems. For me, an HK is like a meal at a fine restaurant. I assume it has been properly seasoned in the kitchen and to alter the recipe by adding a lot of salt or pepper would be a sacrilege (to the chef anyway). :) I'd really have to experience extreme wear before considering re-finishing and then I would probably want to match the original finish to the extent possible - something along the line of Robar's Roguard or Tripp's CobraCoat. But again, that's just me. Other "less worthy" guns just seem to beg for upgrades.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I should be getting my P7 back from Robar in the next week or so. I went with NP3. I almost sent it to Tripp for his HC. It was tough, they both look nice but I like the look of NP3 and the warranty. I will post some pic when I get it back.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I should be getting my P7 back from Robar in the next week or so. I went with NP3. I almost sent it to Tripp for his HC. It was tough, they both look nice but I like the look of NP3 and the warranty. I will post some pic when I get it back.
Your P7 is probably in same batch as my XD45 slide and barrel. I expect mine back in the next week or so too. I think you will like the NP3 very much. Robar is a great company to work with. I have been very pleased. 'Looking forward to seeing your pics.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing some pics as my P7M8 is in need of a finish job. Still debating between HC or the NP3.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Satin/flat black finish FTW. Tenifer, Nitron, whatever. Personally I'm trying to conceal the pistol not show it off, so bright finishes like hard chrome and kin don't work for me. Of course if you want a display piece go ahead. I'd hate to scratch or damage a carry pistol as nice looking as germanic's or jsbowen's p7m8s are. As far as scratching the finish goes however, hard chrome or glock's tenifer finish probably take the cake as far as durability goes. I'm not too pleased with the factory finish from HK. Now if i can do something about this stainless s&w 629...it amazes me how nobody has put a hunting handgun on the market speficially for that purpose with a dark or camo finish. (Contenders dont count, they are single shot carbines. :p )

·
Registered
373 Posts
Satin/flat black finish FTW. Tenifer, Nitron, whatever. Personally I'm trying to conceal the pistol not show it off, so bright finishes like hard chrome and kin don't work for me. Of course if you want a display piece go ahead. I'd hate to scratch or damage a carry pistol as nice looking as germanic's or jsbowen's p7m8s are. As far as scratching the finish goes however, hard chrome or glock's tenifer finish probably take the cake as far as durability goes. I'm not too pleased with the factory finish from HK. Now if i can do something about this stainless s&w 629...it amazes me how nobody has put a hunting handgun on the market speficially for that purpose with a dark or camo finish. (Contenders dont count, they are single shot carbines. :p )
'Don't mean to bust your patoonies :) but Glock's Tenifer is not a finish. It is chemistry impregnated into the base metal, actually fairly deep. So even if you remove the blackened Glock finish, the Tenifer is still resident in the metal and provides not only hardness but excellent rust resistence. Tenifer is a trade name. It is the same thing at Melonite applied to the Springfield XD and other firearms.

As to the stock black vs. shiny argument, many feel the same way you do but I think it's more of an aesthetics vs. a functionality/concealment decision. If you are carrying a weapon under extreme climatic conditions, it's hard to beat an NP3 or hard chrome gun unless you really don't give a rat's a--.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Matte Cobra Chrome is not shiny, in fact its non-reflective with no oil on it, in a dark room with street lights coming thru the window, the black HE actually reflects more light off its flat surfaces than Cobra Chrome.

The shiny argument does not hold water

·
Registered
373 Posts
Matte Cobra Chrome is not shiny, in fact its non-reflective with no oil on it, in a dark room with street lights coming thru the window, the black HE actually reflects more light off its flat surfaces than Cobra Chrome.

The shiny argument does not hold water
That is correct. Most (but not all) hard chrome providers will give you an option of matte or shiny.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
...it amazes me how nobody has put a hunting handgun on the market speficially for that purpose with a dark or camo finish....
Too bad Colt does not make the Anaconda 8" RealTree anymore. :(

·
Registered
616 Posts
Too bad Colt does not make the Anaconda 8" RealTree anymore. :(

There are tons of companies out there that due camo duracoat on weapons, get your gun of choice and have a camo job done to match whatever area you will be using it in, I can give you some names if you need them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That colt is a sexy bitch! Yeah i've thought about dipping my revolver but I'd be much more inclined to buy a factory job like that anaconda..i think s&w is making a black 460xvr for hunting, and dan wesson had a .445 supermag in all black too. Still seems like a pretty lucrative market, I wonder what everyone is waiting for. But yeah JL, who does this camo duracoat stuff, im in south eastern usa..

·
Registered
616 Posts
That colt is a sexy bitch! Yeah i've thought about dipping my revolver but I'd be much more inclined to buy a factory job like that anaconda..i think s&w is making a black 460xvr for hunting, and dan wesson had a .445 supermag in all black too. Still seems like a pretty lucrative market, I wonder what everyone is waiting for. But yeah JL, who does this camo duracoat stuff, im in south eastern usa..
I know a lot of guys that swear by LTM refinishing for more complex camo jobs. Their website is down at the moment, but just google LTM refinishing for more info. They are in MO I believe, which obviously isnt the SE. There are many many refinishers that use duracoat or other types of coatings for camo jobs all over, your local smith may know of some good local guys. All I know is if it was my gun I would send it to LTM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Robbie Barkman gave me the nickel tour of Robar when I first moved out to the Phoenix area and I was impressed enough to leave my AUG for the NP3 finish on the internals and Rogard the receiver and barrel. That was a mistake.

Someone dropped the bolt carrier and dented the corner. The floor manager then proceeded to arrogantly with a straight face tell me 'we don't drop things around here'. I was also extremely disappointed that every single part that was refinished was hand engraved with a number. Without my permission they proceeded to Rogard half of my plastic black furniture....black. Wanted an additional $200+ to do the rest. All of this after several delays over a period of over a month including a 'false alarm' to pick up my rifle before they even started.

I know of two other local industry professionals that have even worse experiences than I have.

Normally I just read this forum but then the subject of Robar comes up within an earshot I make an effort to voice my experience.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Robbie Barkman gave me the nickel tour of Robar when I first moved out to the Phoenix area and I was impressed enough to leave my AUG for the NP3 finish on the internals and Rogard the receiver and barrel. That was a mistake.

Someone dropped the bolt carrier and dented the corner. The floor manager then proceeded to arrogantly with a straight face tell me 'we don't drop things around here'. I was also extremely disappointed that every single part that was refinished was hand engraved with a number. Without my permission they proceeded to Rogard half of my plastic black furniture....black. Wanted an additional $200+ to do the rest. All of this after several delays over a period of over a month including a 'false alarm' to pick up my rifle before they even started.

I know of two other local industry professionals that have even worse experiences than I have.

Normally I just read this forum but then the subject of Robar comes up within an earshot I make an effort to voice my experience.
In all the time (years) I have been reading and participating in the various gun forums, this is the first complaint against Robar I have ever come across though admittedly a lot of stuff escapes my attention. "Stuff" happens even with the best and it sounds like a meteorite out of 10 gazillion houses, decided yours is the one it wanted to land on. I have had 4 guns refinished by Robar and the work (Roguard and NP3) in each case, exceeded my expectations.

Even Rolls Royce has its detractors and you would be hard pressed to convince me that your experience was/is the norm. Robar has an excellent reputation, they have been around a LONG, LONG time (and you don't survive unless you can deliver and keep folks happy), and I have found their customer service second to none. At this time, they are one of the few after-market platers I will let touch my guns.

They (Robar) just NP3'd my XD45 and as usual, it came out beautiful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
ROBAR IS GREAT

I started this post with an eye toward doing my P7M8. I did my SIG first.

I just got my Sig P220 back from Robar for a slide NP3 job. Robar coordinated sending it to Bruce Gray for trigger work. Customer service from both was OUTSTANDING.

The NP3 work was OUTSTANDING. Robar service people were OUTSTANDING.

Prompt and responsive. I would use them again with high confidence.

NP3 looks a lot like titanium. I have posted the SIG with a Brian Tighe custom knife in which the bolsters and pocket clip are titanium. It is nearly the exact same shade as the NP3. Dull gray but wonderful to behold. BTW, after shooting, the slide wipes clean!

·
Registered
12 Posts
In all the time (years) I have been reading and participating in the various gun forums, this is the first complaint against Robar I have ever come across though admittedly a lot of stuff escapes my attention. "Stuff" happens even with the best and it sounds like a meteorite out of 10 gazillion houses, decided yours is the one it wanted to land on. I have had 4 guns refinished by Robar and the work (Roguard and NP3) in each case, exceeded my expectations.

Even Rolls Royce has its detractors and you would be hard pressed to convince me that your experience was/is the norm. Robar has an excellent reputation, they have been around a LONG, LONG time (and you don't survive unless you can deliver and keep folks happy), and I have found their customer service second to none. At this time, they are one of the few after-market platers I will let touch my guns.

They (Robar) just NP3'd my XD45 and as usual, it came out beautiful.
Not trying to convince anyone of anything. I am just relating my personal experience. I know enough people that have done business professionally and privately with them to know Robar ain't all rosey, I am not alone, and I am not just the unlucky one of a million. I am sure the majority of the work they do is fine, as it was with your projects. I can't tolerate a company that pulled the **** on me like Robar did.

NP3 is a teflon impregnated electroless nickel (if I remember right) and it is softer and wears more than the hard chrome. Both are good looking finishes but I do prefer the wear resistance and looks of the hard chrome. Tripps finishes look nice and I will probably send off my new P7 (finally got one!) for the hard chrome.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts