HKPRO Forums banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
NP3 is a Teflon/Nickel hybrid finish. The advantage over hard chrome is its increased lubricity - far less oil and grease required. The advantage of hard chrome is its hardness. If your weapon is exposed to SERIOUS hard wear, then hard chrome might be the better choice. Personally for me, I prefer NP3. It is the bridge in wearability between today's baked on/sprayed on finishes and hard chrome. Plenty hard for me and grease and sludge seem to roll right off it. I also think it is very aesthetically pleasing and coats a gun more uniformaly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know enough people that have done business professionally and privately with them to know Robar ain't all rosey, I am not alone, and I am not just the unlucky one of a million. I am sure the majority of the work they do is fine, as it was with your projects. I can't tolerate a company that pulled the **** on me like Robar did.

...Both are good looking finishes but I do prefer the wear resistance and looks of the hard chrome. Tripps finishes look nice and I will probably send off my new P7 (finally got one!) for the hard chrome.
That's funny, cause I've heard many more negative reviews of Tripp than Ford's.

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
Wanted to bump this to get some more recent opinions and to ask a question - Why is matte HC with brushed flats a much more popular choice than having the whole pistol in brushed HC?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had P7's in both. My next will be NP3. I like the color better,and cleaning was easier. I like that it looks slightly different than all the other guns out there- HC looks a lot like stainless. I didn't run it dry, but it was darn close. I'll be sending them other guns, too.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Why is matte HC with brushed flats a much more popular choice than having the whole pistol in brushed HC?
I think it's a matter of personal preference - the two-tone effect looks cool. I'm going to HC a M8 at Fords to get rid of the mill mark and warning, and I'm going to try the brushed HC with polished flats. I have another P7 being finished in NP3 so I'll be able to compare them side by side in aesthetics and performance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think it's a matter of personal preference - the two-tone effect looks cool. I'm going to HC a M8 at Fords to get rid of the mill mark and warning, and I'm going to try the brushed HC with polished flats. I have another P7 being finished in NP3 so I'll be able to compare them side by side in aesthetics and performance.
My buddy had the flats of his P7 done in Ford's "Bright (high polish)" and let me tell you it is sharp. There's an M13 pictured on Ford's site with the same combo- polished flats, matte rounds. When Horace says bright, he means it. You could use the slide to shave with. Interestingly, my friend's roll marks stayed pretty well intact, despite the extra polishing.

Looking forward to some pics Bender.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Pics will be forthcoming. Don't know if your buddy had this done or not, but Fords is also one of the only refinishers that will reingrave the slide should you choose to do so. This is nice since I'm having them remove more material by taking off the mill mark.

This would all be done already if I hadn't found another M8 with my name on it.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I found this old thread but I think it still brings up the age old question; which is the best long term finish? I have a chromed revolver, RC rated around 75. Where as NP3 is rated around 45 RC. That's rockwell, degrees of hardness in terms of durability. It was the reason I chose hard chrome over NP3. I read they now have NP3+, which is still a paint on finish that leaves a nice residue behind once the finish is scratched. Anyway, if you want something to last in terms of shear durability- get the hard chrome. Do your homework of course but that whole "gets into pores on a molecular level" BS about NP3 is the same as the Glock tenifer adage- it's just to somehow make you feel Ok when your weapon gets scratched. The difference is that one finish is nearly twice as hard which means much more abrasive resistant, about 60% more abrasive resistant. Simply you can't re-invent the wheel and good old hard chrome still beats the modern wonder finishes.

7n6

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Here's my 85 model that I had Robar treat with NP3+. Absolutely love their work.

This is the 2d handgun they have done for me... had them do my Springfield XD
upper in NP3 a few years back. Thousands of rounds through my XD and still looks great and cleans up in seconds.

YMMV

Rhino Sends

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Mors -

Great looking P7. I love the silver inlay (HK) in the grip. I've never seen that before. That NP3 finish looks sharp!
That's not silver, it's the same brown wood as the rest of the grip. What you are seeing is the reflection of light.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like the look of the NP3 better and though I have never had anything with hard chrome to compare it with I would definitely recommend it. NP3 for me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Who do you guys recommend to apply the NP3, and can it be applied to any moving part of the gun
Robar. They do as much of the gun as possible. That is to say just about everything. On my P7 the only think I know they can't do is the barrel. Check their site often for discounts and specials. In December they offered 20% off, which really helps.

Good luck,

Paddy

61 - 78 of 78 Posts