HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a Ghillie-built MP5 and I find that I have to wrap on the bottom of the mag to get it to seat when the bolt is closed. Is this normal for an MP5? I busted one of the feed lips / ears / whatever off of another HK mag possibly doing it this way and don't want to throw another $60 down the toilet.

I keep a loaded mag in it but don't want to chamber a round for safety reasons since it's my home defense gun.

When the bolt is back, they go in on an angle and I pull back (like an AK mag) for the mag catch to click, but only if I smack the bottom of it with some umph it'll catch with the bolt closed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I noticed the same thing when shooting an HK94 tonight--a fully-loaded mag was difficult to seat when the bolt was closed. I'm pretty sure that's normal behavior for MP5-type weapons. I've also experienced it with an MP5/40. The mags would seat properly in both weapons if slammed home with enough force, but it was a lot easier to just make sure their bolts were locked open when reloading.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Without reading the manual again, I think it calls for the bolt to be rearward before attempting mag changes.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Hey guys,
I keep a loaded mag in it but don't want to chamber a round for safety reasons since it's my home defense gun.
Jello, you can certainly use anything at all you want for home defense - I'm not going to question your reasoning in doing so. I am concerned though, that if (God forbid) you do have to use it for self defense, that you may be opening yourself up to real problems in the court room. Using any black gun is bad enough, but using an MP5 - even in a defensive situation - could look pretty bad. Spend a minute or two conjuring up what a prosecutor would dream up about that gun and you. Hopefully you don't have an auto sear in it...

If you're dead set on it, I would take five rounds out of the mag and not leave it sitting packed full of rounds...lest that spring decide not to do it's thing when you need it most.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Using any black gun is bad enough
Perhaps he should paint it.....?

You walk in my house uninvited and decide to stick around after warnings - sorry - harsh language is not what I'll be reaching for...

The weapon was legal for him to purchase, no different then a shotgun, nor a carbine.....

Then again, we have castle law here in WI....

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Perhaps he should paint it.....?
Not ANOTHER pink MP5! The world will implode if we have two!

You walk in my house uninvited and decide to stick around after warnings - sorry - harsh language is not what I'll be reaching for...

The weapon was legal for him to purchase, no different then a shotgun, nor a carbine.....

Then again, we have castle law here in WI....
Harsh language? No one said anything about harsh language.

I'm just trying to help a fellow HKPro bud with some friendly advice...I have no dog in this fight. Castle law doesn't mean anything when it comes to the inevitable civil suit that will follow after shooting someone (even in your own house) with an MP5 and 30 round mag. But you should do what makes you feel best. If you are comfortable wasting a year or two of your life and $50K in attorney money to have that discussion, that's your call. I have NFA weapons and choose to leave them secured in my safe. Shotguns and pistols are great for home defense and just as lethal as an MP5, but each to his own. I'm cool either way my friend. I won't be coming in your house unannounced so we likely don't have anything to worry about here. :wink:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Not ANOTHER pink MP5! The world will implode if we have two!

I'm just trying to help a fellow HKPro bud with some friendly advice...I have no dog in this fight. Castle law doesn't mean anything when it comes to the inevitable civil suit that will follow after shooting someone (even in your own house) with an MP5 and 30 round mag. I'm cool either way my friend. I won't be coming in your house unannounced so we likely don't have anything to worry about here. :wink:
Thats a pretty MP5... oh boy...

The point is - one would be immune to civil lawsuits under the expanded castle doctrine...

Your right though and I'm with ya though brotha.... Can't stress enough to figure out any way possible to avoid killing someone... Certainly not something that I ever want to deal with myself, and people can't have enough training - and forethought about what will be coming down the pipe after that (god forbid) action has already occurred... In all the training coarse's I have attended - I'm really glad they take hours upon hours to get people to think about the consequences of those actions. YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AFTER

No sweat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bolt should be open. If storing with a mag in and bolt closed on an empty chamber short yourself a round or two. We only load 28 rounds in our squad MP5s for this reason. Reload drills are the same B.O.O.T.S is what we teach our officers. Back(action) Off(spent mag) On(new mag) Tug(on new mag to ensure it locked in) Slap(the charging handle)

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I don't have a problem loading my SW receivered MP5K with the bolt closed I find the HK stick mags slide in and out better than the curved ones. I also only load 25 rounds in the mags, 50 round boxes split up better and if I wanted more than 25 I would use a mag clamp. I will have to try packing them full and see if its a problem on my clone or my 2 HK 94's and SP89. I do have an array of mags German curved and straight 30's, German 15's, Korean curved 30's (new ones), and hopefully some member made curved USA 30 rounders soon. Hint Hint :)

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
In Castle Doctrine states if you meet the legals for a home defensive shoot the type of gun is not going to matter as long as it is legal there

I use a 12 GA Mossberg 18 inch folder because it's so handy but would have no hesitation to get out a black rifle or one of my semi military-police shotties if I needed it

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pennsylvania we have a castle doctrine in place, so I'm not worried about it. I have loaded mags in my M4's, 12ga 00 Buck in my 870 Police, my MP5, 1911, M9 and USP Compact .357sig all with loaded mags, just not one in the chamber.

Hell, I think the only rifle I don't have ready to roll in a moment's notice is my Thompson Center .50 flintlock LOL

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update - I took a few rounds out of the mag and it now inserts without issue. Must be my new mag and it's stiff mag spring!

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,811 Posts
Just a heads up. Many of the curved mags will allow you to load in 31 rounds. I can assure you that MP5's do not like this scenario...

SOP is bolt open for mag changes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts