HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If their is anyone that has an Expert and the HK45 ~ how does the shooting compare?

I am sure the handle and feel is better on the HK45 but what about the trigger and accuracy?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have both. The trigger in the Expert is a little better but not much, mostly in the over travel of the trigger is where the Expert is better. The Expert has a little less muzzle flip "snap" to the gun but this should not be a suprise. The Expert is longer and heavier so this would be expected. Other then that they are both really close. My Expert is still going to be my competition gun as well as my Expert 9mm but the HK45 is my defense gun.

Dave

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey sorry for the slow reply, I have been away from a computer. The HK45 fits in my USP Expert 45 holster. In fact it fits perfect! The holster is a little longer then it needs to be by about an inch but that doesn't matter at all. So its nice, I can take the HK45 or the USP Expert 45 or 9mm and they all fit the same holster.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had both, but sold my HK45 for the following reasons:

I love the way the HK Tactical and the Expert take down. You move the slide back, line up the slide release so it can be pushed out with one finger, and you are done. Remove barrel and spring. So simple.

But, I have no idea why HK changed the design on the HK45. You would think a gun designed for military use, as the HK45 was originally, would stay simple. But, instead they complicated it. Now the slide release is broken into two interlocking pieces. The slide release and the slide release axle. And trying to get them to lock and unlock is a real pain. I have dropped the axle a number of times - which could be a serious problem in combat conditions - your sidearm is now useless unless you happen to have a spare axle on you.

I found the HK45 system to be SO much more trouble than the standard USP system that I sold it.

That being said, the one advantage the HK45 has over the expert is the picatinny rail. There are so many more options available. You don't have to purchase an adapter to mount a tactical light or a laser.

As for accuracy, I personally found that the following reflects my experience with the 4 HKs in .45ACP that I have owned (SUBJECTIVE OPINION ALERT!):

Worst: USP (4" groups)
Next Best: HK45 (3" groups)
Next: HK Expert (1" groups)
Best: Tactical (I had several single hole targets with 10 rounds in the same hole at 10 yards).

I sold all but the Expert. I kept and carry it because of the adjustable rear sight, long sight radius, and long barrel. The Tactical had the same length barrel, but a shorter radius, and I had to keep a thread protector on it to keep the threads from snagging and being damaged.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tiggershadow, I have the HK45, and with all due respect I don't know what you mean? My gun could not be easier to take down. The pin simply pushes out. The ambi part of the slide release stays in the frame on the right hand side. My gun is a new model, so maybe they changed it. I am in no way trying to argue, but simply stating that my gun breaks down exactly like a USP. Did they change the design? BTW, this is one accurate pistol. Easily outshoots my Kimber .45 that I was carrying for 6 years.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
First of all, you do realize this is a 5-yr old thread, right?

HK45 has an ambi slide release. What you described as the axle is actually the left side slide release. And it does not fall out easily as you described. In fact, even if you remove the right side lever (which you called the slide release) from the frame, the left-side release (your axle) stays in tact.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Tiggershadow, I have the HK45, and with all due respect I don't know what you mean? My gun could not be easier to take down. The pin simply pushes out. The ambi part of the slide release stays in the frame on the right hand side. My gun is a new model, so maybe they changed it. I am in no way trying to argue, but simply stating that my gun breaks down exactly like a USP. Did they change the design? BTW, this is one accurate pistol. Easily outshoots my Kimber .45 that I was carrying for 6 years.
No changes taken place since introduction. It works just like the USP slide release/take down pin.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I was thinking the same thing; his HK45 must not be the same as mine. However, I’m not aware of any changes in that aspect of the HK45.

As far as the HK45 to Expert comparison goes: the Expert has a better trigger and I’m more accurate with it, do to the longer sight radius and the target sights. The HK45 is more concealable, has the Picatinny rail, and has better combat sights (mine has Meps). Both perform excellent in the roles they were designed for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Respect to you, too. =)

Wish I had a video of me trying to fit the two sides of the slide release together. You must be more coordinated than I am. Mine required a twist to lock it in, and it certainly did not stay on the right side of the slide by itself most of the time. I would tend to agree that your model may have an improved system. I bought mine in June of 2010. And it was more accurate than any other brand of .45 pistol I have had, with the exception of a $3000 Wilson Combat custom that Bill Wilson made for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts