HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, after so many returns, fixes, there has to be a "knowingly" in there somewhere as in "knowingly sold a defective or dangerous product." Heck, my C93 was a "repair" when Ghilliebear got it and it had a defective barrel and was not properly installed in the trunion. I had to spend an extra $500 just to get a rifle that wouldnt blow up in my face or malfunction.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Century's remedy was to return the rifle to them at your cost for repair. So your 'loss' would be the shipping charge. So say $35. No one is going to take on a case for $35 per plaintiff.

You CHOSE to send it somewhere else for repar. Those costs are likely not recoverable.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Seriously, after so many returns, fixes, there has to be a "knowingly" in there somewhere as in "knowingly sold a defective or dangerous product." Heck, my C93 was a "repair" when Ghilliebear got it and it had a defective barrel and was not properly installed in the trunion. I had to spend an extra $500 just to get a rifle that wouldnt blow up in my face or malfunction.
I don't think you can sue until something actually happens. Noboddy wants to waste their time and money over 450.00. I'm still glad I bought mine, you can't get a parts kit and a receiver for that much, not to mention the barrel. Most people know what they are getting into when they buy a century. Out of the thousands of C93's, I've yet to hear of an injury caused by the gun. Has it been a little of a hassle, yes, but still worth IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, if I had fired a round through that brand new barrel with the bulge just in front of the chamber and been injured, then it would be worth it? Century did not advertise these as "parts kit" that may or may not function. They marketed them as fully functional firearms.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
and been injured, then it would be worth it?
For you, perhaps. For the rest of the owners, not really.

Century did not advertise these as "parts kit" that may or may not function. They marketed them as fully functional firearms.
All the C93 guns I've seen from Century came with a tag that said something to the effect of, this is assembled from used parts have a gunsmith check it before firing.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
So, if I had fired a round through that brand new barrel with the bulge just in front of the chamber and been injured, then it would be worth it? Century did not advertise these as "parts kit" that may or may not function. They marketed them as fully functional firearms.
That really sucks that your barrel had a bulge in it and they should function test and inspect them all. Then again, they wouldn't be 450.00-500 either. Did you really think you were getting a top shelf weapon from Century?Go to Century and fill out their survey . They're asking for feedback, give'em your honest thoughts.

You're still 2,000 cheaper than that first class HK93 that was mentioned and you have a full auto carrier to boot. I understand your frustration but you did have the option for a replacement . My first one was replaced by one in worse condition. I knew my options of other builders too but took the risk. I'm o.k with that because of the all of the build parts & U.S parts add up to about 600.00 for an un assembled gun. Just some perspective.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's my understanding that Century is kind of like Buffalo tool in the effect that they're more or less a sticker company that sub contracts to others to build a large number of their weapons. For that much, I've never heard one way or another if they do the warranty repairs in house ,or if they do any inspection what so ever after the assembled guns are received. I'm not saying this makes them free from blame, but it is a Buffalo tool vs Snap-On mentality. Many car manufacturers I deal with do what amounts to major warranty repairs as Customer Service Bulletins. These are to repair known short comings, not safety recalls, and are done to protect the company reputation as much as anything else. With Century it's more or less the only store in town set up, if they had more competition with the type and price point of the guns they sell they might be a bit more concerned about the product they put out. As is, you get what you pay for at best-that's their reputation and most educated gun enthusiast understand that going in. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. As for the innitial question, it's better to get legal advice from a lawyer than a gun board. Century nightmares have been public for years but I have yet to hear of any legal action. Caveat emptor ....

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
Heh... I can't even get a lawyer to answer the phone for less than $499....

If you got hurt, sue'em. But to start class action suits just because the thing isn't worthy of a $2500 HK rifle, forget it.

First off... the number one thing that's going to happen is all the gunsmiths involved making these HK clones are going to stop dead in their tracks. At that point, now you will either make your own gun from parts or just buy an HK. A lot of the guys that were making these as a nice add-on to their regular paychecks are going to figure out real quick that it ain't worth bothering with to get sued.

Second, in a class action... just how much to you plan to win? $500? That's what you have involved. They're not going to cover your shipping an insurance...

Third... lawyers don't work for free. You win or lose, you gotta pay them. Just how much out of the $500 goes to the sharks?

On the other hand... you're getting a $2500 rifle for $500. Do the math. Buy the rifle and have it drop shipped directly to Jeff Walters (Ghilliebear). Have him sprinkle it with his lucky dust and then shipped to your dealer... or you if you have a license. You'll still be in the good and well under $2500, leaving plenty left over for $80 magazines, ammo and beer... and mebbe a good night out at the local Taco Hell to boot.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ever wonder what Grandpa meant when he said, "First class is the cheapest way to go"?
yep, my late brother always said "the cheap pay twice".

I looked at the C93, but after reading about it on these boards, I went for the Vector V93.

I hope it was worth the extra $$$, I've yet to try it out, hopefully very soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 2nd C93 has Ghilliebear lucky/fairy dust ALL over it! The first one I bought used so I knew it had been "test fired" but the 2nd I got from JG sales brand "new"

·
Registered
166 Posts
doesn't century cya with their caveat of all firearms should be checked by a gunsmith before firing? if so, that's their cop out.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Heh... I can't even get a lawyer to answer the phone for less than $499....

If you got hurt, sue'em. But to start class action suits just because the thing isn't worthy of a $2500 HK rifle, forget it.

First off... the number one thing that's going to happen is all the gunsmiths involved making these HK clones are going to stop dead in their tracks. At that point, now you will either make your own gun from parts or just buy an HK. A lot of the guys that were making these as a nice add-on to their regular paychecks are going to figure out real quick that it ain't worth bothering with to get sued.

Second, in a class action... just how much to you plan to win? $500? That's what you have involved. They're not going to cover your shipping an insurance...

Third... lawyers don't work for free. You win or lose, you gotta pay them. Just how much out of the $500 goes to the sharks?

On the other hand... you're getting a $2500 rifle for $500. Do the math. Buy the rifle and have it drop shipped directly to Jeff Walters (Ghilliebear). Have him sprinkle it with his lucky dust and then shipped to your dealer... or you if you have a license. You'll still be in the good and well under $2500, leaving plenty left over for $80 magazines, ammo and beer... and mebbe a good night out at the local Taco Hell to boot.

Then put it on Gun Broker and see what you get, ;) It won't be anything close to 2.5K that's for sure, of course you will have a fine shooter no doubt about that.

HDH.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
yep, my late brother always said "the cheap pay twice".

I looked at the C93, but after reading about it on these boards, I went for the Vector V93.

I hope it was worth the extra $$$, I've yet to try it out, hopefully very soon.

A Smart Man, used Vectors are going for over 1k. You will never see that happen with a C93.

HDH.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
A Smart Man, used Vectors are going for over 1k. You will never see that happen with a C93.

HDH.
I'd buy a custom build before I bought a Vector any day. Vectors are still a crapshot, your chances of winning just go up slightly. Yes, I have both.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
Then put it on Gun Broker and see what you get, ;) It won't be anything close to 2.5K that's for sure, of course you will have a fine shooter no doubt about that.

HDH.
Didn't mean that it would be worth $2500, didn't even imply it :biggrin:... simply that it would perform as well as the $2500 rifle. In my book, even the Vector guns have problems... now. The best bang for the buck is still the custom build. And barring that, a handful of Ghillie's majic dust on either the Century C-93 or the Vector 93.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a few class action suits in addition to the c93.

L1A1 Sporter, Golani, Keyhole edition Tantals, CETME's, canted sight AK edition's etc. Who hasn't been burned a few times? My c93 was the latest fail in 20 years of buying from Century... ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
SORRY,
But I dont feel sorry for any of you guy's that buy the Cheap A$$ Century, SW, Vector, coharie, bobcat weapons, ect JUNK. you linger here on this board and others read all the hipe and you still buy this junk then complain.
WHAT is wrong with you guys???
not trying to be a jerk here but it is so old to read post after post after post on you guy's that buy this crap and cry and cry.
now you want to sue when you knew going in that you had a 99 persent chance you were getting a bomb or piece of junk YOU KNEW YOU KNEW and you still bit the hook.

STOP IT JUST STOP IT.

if you people quit buying this junk then either century and the others will start building them right or stop it all together.

you guy's work hard for your money and are foolish WHY Because you like to Gamble.
you hear one or two guy's say they bought one of these pieces of junk they state theirs works fine you get all warm and fuzzy and buy/Gamble on one then when you find you were not the lucky stiff that got one that worked you start posting and Crying.

( I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS FROM YOU GUYS )

NOW FOR THE MONEY THE PRICE IS OK IF YOU BUY ONE AND RIGHT AWAY BEFORE YOU SHOOT IT OR TOUCH IT JUST SENT IT OUT AND HAVE IT DONE RIGHT BY A GOOD KNOWN HK SMITH TO HAVE IT FIXED YOU WILL NOT ONLY BE MONEY AHEAD BUT SAFE AND HAPPY.

OR FIND A GOOD PARTS KIT AND SEND IT OUT RIGHT AWAY TO A GOOD KNOWN HK SMITH FOR A PROPER BUILD.

SHESSSSSSHHHHHHHH

RANT OFF.

BIG50

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'd buy a custom build before I bought a Vector any day. Vectors are still a crapshot, your chances of winning just go up slightly. Yes, I have both.
I am talking about Your garden variety C93 Bro, not a custom build. BTW new Vectors have a 5 year warranty.
A Century warranty is a well known joke.

HDH.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have a few class action suits in addition to the c93.

L1A1 Sporter, Golani, Keyhole edition Tantals, CETME's, canted sight AK edition's etc. Who hasn't been burned a few times? My c93 was the latest fail in 20 years of buying from Century... ;)
If one is going to buy Century always inspect first, don't buy online. Better yet try another brand, works wonders.

HDH.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts