HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us by now have seen or heard about a Hart AR15 magazine conversion for an HK93. This adds a sleeve inside of the 93's mag well, and even if it wasn't a permanent conversion, you couldn't readily change it back to accept a 93 magazine. Recently, CTREE products introduced the side plate conversion for Magpul PMags. Not a bad idea, but the side plates are affixed to the magazine via glue/epoxy. They're not cheap, either. I like my MKE 93 mags, but I had an issue with one having the feed lip damaged this last weekend. In my anger and disappointment, I had an epiphany of sorts: the HK93 magazine looks almost like an AR15 mag with a sleeve permanently attached at the top. Could a person with some skill in sheet metal stamping create a sleeve that will fit over an existing AR mag allowing it to be used in a 93? If the fit was nice and tight, and it was anchored properly, you wouldn't have to worry about any issues with glue, plus you could switch back and forth between AR and 93 magazines without altering your rifle's mag well. I like the idea of 30 round magazines, but the factory 93 mags are so damned expensive for commoners like me. I figured that someone much more intelligent had already thought of this and determined it was a bad idea, but I couldn't get it out of my head, so I purchased some 22 gauge steel, cut a 2"x7" strip, and set out to create such a sleeve.

I had success with bending into shape and slipping it onto an AR magazine. It seemed to hold tight, so I spot welded it together. Initially it looked good, but there were a couple of problems: 1)it needs a vertical channel pressed into it so it will slip over the mag catch bump on right side the AR magazine. I don't have the tools to do this cleanly, so I just made a vertical cut in the sleeve; and 2)I cut the mag catch opening too high and the rear of the mag sits too low. As it is now, the bolt won't strip a cartridge. On the positive side, however, the sleeve fits solidly on the magazine, and had I cut the mag catch opening at the proper height, it would function as it was designed. The magazine and sleeve slide easily into the magazine well, and the it locks positively. It does take a little effort since my mag catch lever has the anti-rattle spring and it rubs against the magazine. Live fire testing would prove how durable it would be in the long run.

Anyway, I'm just a dope who became pissed-off and motivated, and I had some fairly good luck on the first go-round with this project. Somebody explain to me why I'm wrong and this is actually a bad idea so I don't keep wasting my time with it. Or even better, somebody with some actual talent should try to tackle this so we can all benefit. What say you?

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Really the market for H&K 93 parts is quite small. Sure its an interesting part, but how many can you sell, and at what price point/profit margin?

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
It's called the CA93AR or whatever they call it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ctree products makes side panels at $15 a pair for pmags that work well enough.
Granted, it means those mags are permanently converted, but so far there's no
shortage of pmags.

ETA: D'OH! You said that. Sorry, reading is fundamental.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
GOH, go for it, dude.
I'm all for an easy solution to problems like this and with the piles and piles of AR mags out there that could be repurposed I'd be all for it. Money maker? Problably not. But if a guy could get a few hundred stamped out and at least break even? Huh. Might generate some interest in the 33/93 if mags were half the price they currently are. Heck, I have a pile I'd convert and be willing to spend $15-20/mag to do it..

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been thinking quite a bit about how to improve on my first attempt. I don't think it's a money maker either, but if you could get a $10 part that would turn your $10 magazine into a $50-70 magazine, it would be worth the effort. All I want to do is to see if it's feasible. At that point, I hope a real pro would take this and run with it.

If I get a chance, I'm going to give it one more go this weekend. If I have any luck, I'll post an update.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Really the market for H&K 93 parts is quite small. Sure its an interesting part, but how many can you sell, and at what price point/profit margin?
It has grown significantly in the last three years. There are a ton of HK33 kit guns out there from Century and Vector that didn't exist before. The thing that might kill the idea is the MKE plastic mags.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'd love to see a conversion for the 93s to accept AR mags, if someone gets it done I'll buy a few.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
While the market had grown, probably a break even project at best.

I would certainly pick one up if it worked, I have a strong affinity for STANAG mags.

As time goes on, I have developed a certain dislike for proprietary mags and the guns that shoot them.

Trying to stock mags in quantity for so many platforms is expensive, and time & space consuming. Same goes for calibers for me.

I would really like a nice .223 AK, but really don't want to get into the mag issue.

I really like that all of the latest .223 toys are STANAG (SCAR-ACR-XCR-Sig556-ARX160 {vaporware}, etc). I wish the .308 AR world would standardize more, that market is crazy fubar with lack of mag standardization.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
As retro commented above, with mke mags available at a little over $20 that kind Of kills the need for something like this.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As retro commented above, with mke mags available at a little over $20 that kind Of kills the need for something like this.
I would agree except that the point is to make someone's stash of too many AR15 mags(or, more to the point, MY stash of too many AR15 mags) available to both types of rifles. After I had an FTE cause damage to the feed lips of one of my MKE magazines, it seemed like a reasonable idea.

By the way, I spent most of the day Saturday in the shop and came out with a much improved product. It still looks a bit rough, but it works as intended. The sleeve is interchangeable between two brands of magazine, and I'll bring more magazines to the next shooting session. I took it to the range on Sunday and attempted to film, but the camera's memory card ran out of room. If snow/wind doesn't close down the range road, I'll attempt to get a video and pictures posted this weekend. I have to admit, I am very pleased with this effort so far.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I would agree except that the point is to make someone's stash of too many AR15 mags(or, more to the point, MY stash of too many AR15 mags) available to both types of rifles.
Exactly. If I could convert my pile of AR mags for $10 or $15 each, that's a lot less than even buying the MKE mags. I'd be all in for a few of these, at least five of them, maybe ten.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I believe the guy at hkportbuffer.com has thought about it.
I have not experience with these though.
Anybody know how well these work?

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I've heard some complaints about those. Like falling off and not being able to readily convert the mag back to AR use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts